AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-q8-e-tron-232/)
-   -   Wireless Phone Charging - iPhone X fail (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-q8-e-tron-232/wireless-phone-charging-iphone-x-fail-2971758/)

MKSurfPhoto 05-05-2019 02:38 PM

Wireless Phone Charging - iPhone X fail

I believe there is a problem with my wireless phone charger already.
First drive home it seemed to fully charge the device with no issues. And when I put it in the 'cradle' now it starts to charge and alerts that it is charging and the little charging battery indicator appears. All seems well for 'a few minutes' and then it stops.
I only really noticed it yesterday because I went for a bit of a road trip and later on in the day when I stopped for dinner on the way home it was down to 20%.
Even went to apple store today to try one of their wireless chargers (don't have one at home) - and it seemed fine for about 5 minutes it kept charging.
Curious if anyone else hits an issue - might just be faulty pad. Thought it might be because of the iPhone camera bump but - that doesn't seem to matter.

alexlear 05-05-2019 03:18 PM

You sound pretty familiar with wireless inductive charging but I figured I would mention that it needs to be properly aligned. Is there any chance vehicle vibration is moving it slightly to misalign the coils? Is there any room to slide your phone forward/backward/up/down? How much can you move it before it stops charging?

All the other Audi phone boxes I've seen are horizontal, unlike the vertical one in e-tron, so maybe it's more suceptable to motion.

MKSurfPhoto 05-05-2019 07:53 PM

I consider this one ‘horitontal’ As well. But not familiar with the other ones. Anything is possible - but it’s pretty ‘repeatable’ (I believe it happens every time now )

i need to look at it more closely and rtfm - but wireless charging is not typically a complicated end user experience) I try to align it centered against the available surface and it almost always pops up saying that it is charging.

mmulet 05-07-2019 04:55 AM

The wireless charger seems to work fine with my iphone X in my Edition One.

The back of the phone goes toward the driver, which I'm sure you already know (falls into the "make sure its plugged in properly" category).

Do you have another phone that you can try with the car? That way you can figure out if its the car or the phone.

Photonix 05-08-2019 01:10 PM

One other thing to check. In the menu system somewhere I remember seeing an option to activate wireless phone charging. Good idea to check if that is turned on or not.

MKSurfPhoto 05-08-2019 02:43 PM

Thanks

Yes it’s turned on. The notification and icon appear and then disappears a bit later.

Bob Travatello 10-09-2019 07:21 PM

iphone 8 Wireless charging issue

I have had no problem with wireless charging for the first 2 months in the e tron but the problem has now started.
I don't know if it is related to the IOS 13 download or some other failure.
I'm going to try another iphone with IOS 12 or less to see if that works and then I will update this post.

e-tronDriver 10-11-2019 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Travatello (Post 25374913)
I have had no problem with wireless charging for the first 2 months in the e tron but the problem has now started.
I don't know if it is related to the IOS 13 download or some other failure.
I'm going to try another iphone with IOS 12 or less to see if that works and then I will update this post.

I have an iPhone 8 with the most current iOS 13 update and no problems charging.

hgmobile1 10-11-2019 12:42 PM

Iphone Xr

No problems with Xr on IOS 13

MileHigh e-tron 10-11-2019 04:39 PM

And no problems with iphone Xs on iOS 13 here.