AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi Q8 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-q8-227/)
-   -   Driving in snow renders all sensors useless? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-q8-227/driving-snow-renders-all-sensors-useless-2967052/)

f10 02-10-2019 09:32 PM

Driving in snow renders all sensors useless?

Does it seem odd that all the safety and driver aid sensors are not heated or protected from snow and ice accumulation? Everything is rendered useless when driving in winter conditions, or am I missing something?

jrjunior31 02-10-2019 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by f10 (Post 25274674)
Does it seem odd that all the safety and driver aid sensors are not heated or protected from snow and ice accumulation? Everything is rendered useless when driving in winter conditions, or am I missing something?

Can’t speak from experience with the Q8 living in LA but it seems some of the newer Driver Aid systems are not being designed to handle extreme cold. The GO5 has a major steering intervention issue being reported in cold temperatures. Have not seen anything up until now regarding the Q8.

KevinGary 02-11-2019 03:26 AM

I have only occasionally have had a problem with the sensors in the snow. Of course I make sure that they are clear of snow when I get in the car.

Doc H 02-11-2019 05:34 AM

Not sure any sensors are snow-proof, bug-proof and dirt-proof. Weren't on my BMWs. I think the Q8 has washers on the front radar, and the night vision on my Q7 has a washer that activates with the headlight washers come on, but any sensor can be overcome by external events - no heater is going to trump what would probably be -30 F when driving 40 mph in 0 degree snowy weather, pretty common in these parts. I just realize the limitations of the current technology, and drive the car myself when the sensors cut off - probably a good idea when there's enough snow and ice on the road to block the sensors.

Verybumpy 02-11-2019 09:28 AM

Eventually, when self driving cars are the norm, sensors will have to be self cleaning and clearing. But we're not there yet so for now we have to get out and manually clear those sensors as needed.

patmurphey 02-11-2019 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Verybumpy (Post 25274933)
Eventually, when self driving cars are the norm, sensors will have to be self cleaning and clearing. But we're not there yet so for now we have to get out and manually clear those sensors as needed.

Who's going to clear the road markings? :D

bpp 02-11-2019 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by f10 (Post 25274674)

I hear that in the extreme northern climes, the plow drivers rely on GPS to keep them on the road when visually impaired by the elements. I know this has nothing to do with sensors but it's a technology used in place of.

angrypengu 02-11-2019 12:54 PM

I'm not a Q8 expert but on the A8 the laser scanner does have a heated element and should melt ice. It's part of the ACC system. If the Q8 has a laser scanner, it's the same deal.

That said poor performance of the system is bad conditions is why I did not buy the Driver's Assistance Package at all.

TheBeav 02-24-2019 04:38 PM

My laser scanners failed while driving in crappy weather last week and haven't come back online, despite getting the car washed and all other sensor systems back to normal.

Guess I will have to take it into the dealer to fix.

jrjunior31 02-24-2019 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by TheBeav (Post 25280976)
My laser scanners failed while driving in crappy weather last week and haven't come back online, despite getting the car washed and all other sensor systems back to normal.

Guess I will have to take it into the dealer to fix.

I just noticed the other day my Traffic Jam Assist didn’t work on a stretch of road I’ve used it multiple times. The parallel lines next to the car icon were white instead of green so the car would not guide itself back to the middle of the lane if I allowed it to drift. There’s been tons of rain in LA and some temps in the 30s but I’ve had the car cleaned so not sure what’s going on. What system do the laser scanners control?