AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi Q8 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-q8-227/)
-   -   Wireless CarPlay issues now that AudiConnect expired (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-q8-227/wireless-carplay-issues-now-audiconnect-expired-2975494/)

McGriddle 07-08-2019 12:12 PM

Wireless CarPlay issues now that AudiConnect expired

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this recently with CarPlay. Now that our AudiConnect expired just last week, we're now having trouble with wireless CarPlay.

My wife's iPhone X (it's her car) used to connect flawlessly using Wireless CarPlay. However, since last week when our AudiConnect service expired, her phone rarely connects to wireless CarPlay reliably. We've tried everything and nothing seems to work. We toggle airplane mode off/on which works sometimes. We've tried forgetting the 5Ghz wifi network and reconnecting. We've tried the USB cable and it works sometimes. It never connects right away when starting the car now whereas it used to connect 100% of the time before AudiConnect expired.

Has anyone else had this issue since your AudiConnect expired?

Also, it's annoying that the "nag" screen keeps popping up every time we start the car saying that AudiConnect is expired. Is there a way to dismiss this nag permanently? It's very annoying.

SteveDu 07-08-2019 12:49 PM

May I recommend you power cycle her phone and see it behaves better? Keep in mind that most of the process is done on the phone itself. The car is merely just a mirror to the phone itself.

McGriddle 07-08-2019 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by SteveDu (Post 25340021)
May I recommend you power cycle her phone and see it behaves better? Keep in mind that most of the process is done on the phone itself. The car is merely just a mirror to the phone itself.

Thanks, SteveDu. Yes, we've tried power cycling the phone itself and have also rebooted the MMI multiple times with the same result: Still only connecting infrequently.

Maybe a related question for all: Does your Wireless CarPlay work reliably after your Audi Connect subscription expired? Thanks.

SteveDu 07-08-2019 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by McGriddle (Post 25340022)
Thanks, SteveDu. Yes, we've tried power cycling the phone itself and have also rebooted the MMI multiple times with the same result: Still only connecting infrequently.

Maybe a related question for all: Does your Wireless CarPlay work reliably after your Audi Connect subscription expired? Thanks.

That is very interesting behavior. While mine is still on trial period I am afraid I don't have sufficient input towards your particular question. I hope someone with the similar conditions (expired AudiConnect) can answer your question.

Have you tried another phone? There are many ways to figure this out.

SoundsoftheSuburbs 07-08-2019 01:14 PM

Your problem is probably the loss of the cellular booster that comes with AudiConnect. CarPlay is glitchy, to begin with, but with loading issues, it's a catastrophe. I understand that you are ignoring that, but I really believe that is the problem.

McGriddle 07-08-2019 05:41 PM

I tried both my wife's phone and my own iPhone X tonight as well. Both connected flawlessly and connected again when I turned the car off and the back on a minute later. Earlier today if worked for my wife... but in the afternoon, she couldn't get it to connect at all. No settings have been changed on either phone, so the lack of reliable connection now is getting frustrating for her since it's been so reliable previously. :confused:

SteveDu 07-09-2019 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by McGriddle (Post 25340138)
I tried both my wife's phone and my own iPhone X tonight as well. Both connected flawlessly and connected again when I turned the car off and the back on a minute later. Earlier today if worked for my wife... but in the afternoon, she couldn't get it to connect at all. No settings have been changed on either phone, so the lack of reliable connection now is getting frustrating for her since it's been so reliable previously. :confused:

You might be experiencing some RF interference in the area. Perform the same test again around the same time, see if you are experiencing the exact same as you did yesterday. What I recommend you try is by the process of elimination. We knew from your test yesterday it was affected by time. Now you can try location to see if you are able to reproduce the same result.

Good luck and let us know!

McGriddle 07-09-2019 08:15 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. Since last night, Wireless CarPlay seems to be working again. It's definitely perplexing and we'll try to keep track of the circumstances where it doesn't work. So far, nothing stood out (other than the issue appearing shortly after Audi Connect expired) since we were having the issue even in our driveway where it is now working fine.

SteveDu 07-09-2019 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by McGriddle (Post 25340356)
Thanks for the suggestion. Since last night, Wireless CarPlay seems to be working again. It's definitely perplexing and we'll try to keep track of the circumstances where it doesn't work. So far, nothing stood out (other than the issue appearing shortly after Audi Connect expired) since we were having the issue even in our driveway where it is now working fine.

My recommendation is to pay attention to the location where you are experiencing issues. This might narrow down to the root cause.

Good luck! Let us know :)

j4ypal 07-12-2019 03:43 AM

I test drove the Q8 yesterday and I asked about potential problems regarding wireless carplay after AudiConnect expires. He told me that he heard of these problems from other clients. According to him, it would caused by the loss of the cellular booster included in Audi Connect services, as someone suggested above. He didn't offer any alternative though. I hope this is fixable since I thought wireless carplay was a really good practical feature. Keep us posted.

P.S. How much is Audi connect in the US? I'm guessing it should be similar here in Canada.