AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Canadian Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/canadian-discussion-43/)
-   -   Got rear-ended this morning. What would be the best course of action? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/canadian-discussion-43/got-rear-ended-morning-what-would-best-course-action-2500808/)

Hobag 11-23-2007 06:43 AM

Got rear-ended this morning. What would be the best course of action?

Ironic how it happened on the day AFTER the big snow fall. The roads weren't even iced or snowed, just a little wet.

Anyways, the guy was following too closely behind me at an intersection while I was waiting to turn right. I made a full stop, and he hit me almost immediately after I had stopped.

I got all his info. Didn't report it to the cops yet. The damage doesn't look that bad, aesthetically the rear bumper has about an 8-10 inch scratch. It didn't seem like I was hit that hard, but could there be damage behind the bumper?

What should I do now, should I report it? I don't necessarily want to go through insurance if I don't have to. I need to get a couple quotes and then get back to the guy.

Suggestions?

Carmine_S4 11-23-2007 06:50 AM

It's 100% not your fault...report it.....you're going to give him a couple of quotes,

he's going to fall over that a new bumper costs $1500, and then you're stuck.

Audi Advocate 11-23-2007 06:50 AM

Call him right away and suggest cash - and get those 2 quotes

No need to report it if he'll pay out of pocket.

If he wants to go through insurance you'll have to get a damage report - pain in the ass.

If it's not major he'll probably want to do cash. Its unklikely that he damaged any more than your bumper cover but the shop will know for sure!

May I suggest Don Valley Volkswagen collision - top notch work - all luxury makes - have done my Audi's/VW's for years.

Good Luck!

Meegis 11-23-2007 06:52 AM

Make sure that the guy is on the level...

If you do not report it within a certain amount of time (i forget, but its like 24 hours i think) than basically the guy is free to go.

I also do not think that acciedent reporting centres issue statements to insurance, but again, I could be wrong.

Ryan in T.O. 11-23-2007 06:54 AM

That sucks. I hope you're ok. If you got rear ended, the other guy is 100% at fault. I got rear

ended twice for $25k worth of total damage and my insurance actually went down. I'd be real careful about not going through insurance. At the scene, people say all kinds of things and promise to pay for everything. Then once they think about it a little more and realize the cost of paying for both your car and theirs, they start to play games. I've seen too many people get screwed just because they tried to help someone else out.

Call Louie at Automotive Legends 905-882-6353. Tell him Ryan with the black audi sent you. He does excellent work but it does take a while. He fixed my car both times.

Hobag 11-23-2007 06:55 AM

So I should report it? As in I should report it to the police?

Hobag 11-23-2007 06:59 AM

Thanks for the info. But isn't it no-fault insurance? I'm not sure how that works exactly...

but doesn't that affect both our insurance if either one of us go through insurance?

I'm fine btw, just a bang and a quick jolt. *that's what she said*

maaliish 11-23-2007 06:59 AM

I wouldn't report it so long as I'm sure the guy will pay. Get a repair quote and his money ASAP.

If you're encountering any problems, report it.

Hobag 11-23-2007 07:03 AM

Well I don't want to suggest an amount until I know how much it's actually going to cost...

to fix it. He also seems to be familiar with this stuff, because when I said I need to get a few quotes, he suggested his body shop over on Midwest. Roop Auto I believe.

My body shop is also on Midwest, so I was thinking about getting quotes from both of them.

SMO 11-23-2007 07:19 AM

I'm pretty sure you only have 48 hrs to report it. If you are going to negotiate with him first....

then make sure you have the cash before your deadline is up.

I'm also pretty sure your insurance will go up if you report it. I would:
1) Call your insurance co and ask them if it affects you,
2) Go to an Audi shop immediately (if you can) and have it inspected to see if you have bumper damage
3) If it's not a big deal repair, get cash from him right away. You can fix a scratch probably for $100. If it's just a scratch, it's definitely not worth going through insurance, because I think both of your insurance prices will go up!