AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Mid Atlantic Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/mid-atlantic-discussion-42/)
-   -   Those runnings HANS, 2" shoulder belt or is 3" fine? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/mid-atlantic-discussion-42/those-runnings-hans-2%22-shoulder-belt-3%22-fine-2485406/)

jimax bro 01-20-2009 05:10 PM

Those runnings HANS, 2" shoulder belt or is 3" fine?

I just bought a Hans and the only dilemma I have is which belt to buy? I know the Hans is designed to use the 3" belt and "roll over a bit" versus the 2" which mounts flat.

Any draw backs for either set up and what you recommend as a new user.

Roll bar is going in now and the Harness is next.

All this money to go no faster than before. Argh. I still feel better about it though.

Fairfax 4.0T 01-20-2009 06:39 PM

I didn't notice any difference with either belt size.

Hi John, my car initially had 3" belts which I used for a year with my Hans device. This year, the belts expired, so I had to install new belts. I went with the 2" which are supposed to only be used with a Hans device.

My personal experience is that the 2" belts just seem right when using them with a Hans. They fit perfectly over the shoulder portion of the Hans. However, if someone is driving your car and doesn't have a Hans, there could be a liability issue for you if they wreck because the 2" belts say for use only with a Hans device. When the 3" belts are used with a Hans, the fit over the Hans doesn't seem right, although I'm sure its safe.

I personally am happy I went with the 2" belts for use with my Hans device. My brother drove my car without a Hans device and using the 2" belts, and I wasn't concerned. The person who sold me the 2" belts said the 2" belts could be used with or without a Hans device, but the instructions for the 2" belts said to use only with a Hans device.

Another Drew 01-20-2009 07:02 PM

Both are fine. Keep in mind if you get 2", it can't be used without a HANS.

jimax bro 01-20-2009 07:46 PM

That's the mixed message: 2" is okay w/o Hans but none of documentation backs it up.

magnetic1 01-20-2009 08:32 PM

Im buying new harnesses shortly... will be 3" for HANS.

Same as Ive been using all along. What kind of harnesses you getting? Im looking at Schroth Hybrid3s.

Wind-n-Water 01-20-2009 11:23 PM

I've been using 3"...

1 of my final checks before going out on track, is to make sure the shoulder harness rides over the HANS correctly... Just a forced hobbit of being used to check lists.

What kinda tether HANS model did you get? slider? quick release? or standard? This yr I finally upgraded to the slider (which requires the wider backing plate for the helmet anchors). Before that, my head rotation was a bit limited... on sharper corners, I would turn my head and reach the HANS head-turning limit and had to move my eye balls to see further around. Sounds crazy I know, but turns out I drive w/ my eye balls centered and rotate my head instead! LoL!

I now have an extra set of wide-sized anchor backing plates (slider upgrade came w/ a set. My helmet already have the wide style anchor plates), and (non-sliding) quick release tether that I don't need anymore. Let me know if you could use them.

jimax bro 01-21-2009 02:21 AM

Went with slider tether.

jimax bro 01-21-2009 02:22 AM

Schroth Hybrid3s or Sparco (OG Racing clearance version). Not sure which yet.

jimax bro 01-21-2009 02:25 AM

Thanks Drew. A lot of shops are pushing 2" saying not problem w/o tHans hough.

bobster4 01-21-2009 02:56 AM

Mine are 3" and would just recommend that as well. Have the quick release tethers too.

Still limited side to side viewing (only an issue in the paddock) but very easy to get the HANS on and off.