AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/)
-   -   Anyone towing with their Q5? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/anyone-towing-their-q5-2813315/)

Durangatan 08-25-2023 09:10 AM

Having towed a number of things with a number of vehicles the ability to pull is rarely my limiter. My real limiter is the ability to stop. IMO I wouldn't tow more than 2,500 - 3,000 pounds with my 3.0 Q5. Yes, you could, however it just doesn't feel like the vehicle (totally subjective here) has the mass or stopping power to really control that much of a load.

Scotty (UK) 08-25-2023 09:38 PM

Thought I'd stick this in this thread for the people that tow. I just found some trailer lights that seem a good natch for the Q5 including dynamic indicators :

Short Video

Amazon Link

-PLP- 09-12-2023 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dudealicious (Post 25840920)
Pulling won't be a problem. It's the potential damage to your hitch/frame and suspension that I'd be worried about.
I'm sure I've exceeded the recommended load here and there but not by as much as you're describing. I would be most concerned with the tongue weight. It's not that easy to offset the weight on a tandem axle dumper.

This is my biggest concern. Being dual axle I am not sure how the weight will distribute.

Originally Posted by Avant4Adam (Post 25840937)
you'd be creating a very unsafe situation towing that much over the limit for your Q5. I would very much not recommend it. you would have a trailer that exceeds the weight of your vehicle by a significant amount, which means that if the trailer starts going out of control your car is the one that will get whipped around. You're almost doubling the tongue weight that the receiver is rated for which could do some bad things to the frame plus probably really mess up the driving dynamics.

but, this is America, you're on the Internet, and you've got this idea that it might be possible so we'll all hold your beer while you see how well this goes. :)

Originally Posted by Durangatan (Post 25841149)
Having towed a number of things with a number of vehicles the ability to pull is rarely my limiter. My real limiter is the ability to stop. IMO I wouldn't tow more than 2,500 - 3,000 pounds with my 3.0 Q5. Yes, you could, however it just doesn't feel like the vehicle (totally subjective here) has the mass or stopping power to really control that much of a load.

For the two above.
I completely agree with you. The cargo weight vs the car will be way over.
However, the towing is taking place in city/rural areas where I will not go faster than 30-35 mph. Stopping on the dime - correct, it will not happen, but this is not a highway situation.

I am looking at actually renting a commercial truck from Enterprise as the $250 for the rental may be way cheaper than dealing with my car...

In summary, though, I am not afraid of the car ability to pull. I will do the job. Slowly and gently, but will pull no problem. It will stop as well. Even if there was one harder stop - I am not worried.
It is more the sudden pulls from the trailer when going over bumps or uneven road. And the biggest is the tongue load.
The hitch is rated 7000 lb so is the ball.

-PLP- 09-26-2023 10:20 AM

So in the end... I went and rented a 3/4 truck.
It was about $150 a day (a bit over $300 with gas for two days and about 100 miles), but at least I was afraid of Q5s frame and suspension.