AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/)
-   -   Anyone towing with their Q5? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/anyone-towing-their-q5-2813315/)

2018Q5TowRig 08-17-2022 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by 2018Q5TowRig (Post 25738694)
This summer we drove over 3000 miles (from Montreal to South Carolina) towing a 3300 lbs full-size popup camper with our 2018 2.0 T Q5, the hitch weight was estimated around 380 lbs and the payload max out with the kids' bikes and cargo box on the roof rack . We've only used a sway bar and a brake controller because the car manual was calling for NO weight distribution bars. We are totally impressed with the fuel economy ''21 mpg'' and with how easy it felt pulling it. The only problem so far is a broken ''leaking'' rear shock absorber.

Does any of you don't care about the NO WD and use it anyway?

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...2cc70a5420.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...a809cfb616.jpg

Dudealicious 08-17-2022 08:37 AM

I use a WDH only because I feel like my tongue weight is nearing 450-500lbs and my trailer is longer than my Q. I get some sag and I also want to feel more connected to my RV. I feel like it provides a wider fulcrum point with very little chance of sway.
Is the added stress of a WDH killing my vehicles' frame? Who cares? My extended warranty expires in 2 years anyway.
I also believe the tow capacity ratings are way under estimated and I'm well within capability.
But for your application, I don't think it's necessary. You're no where near the manufacturer recommended limits.

2018Q5TowRig 08-17-2022 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dudealicious (Post 25738722)
I use a WDH only because I feel like my tongue weight is nearing 450-500lbs and my trailer is longer than my Q. I get some sag and I also want to feel more connected to my RV. I feel like it provides a wider fulcrum point with very little chance of sway.
Is the added stress of a WDH killing my vehicles' frame? Who cares? My extended warranty expires in 2 years anyway.
I also believe the tow capacity ratings are way under estimated and I'm well within capability.
But for your application, I don't think it's necessary. You're no where near the manufacturer recommended limits.

Thanks, courious to know, what type of trailer are you towing? Do you keep your transmission on drive or Sport mode

Dudealicious 08-17-2022 10:11 AM

'19 Airstream
Vehicle always lives in sport mode.
I believe the tow control module sets the suspension in dynamic mode once a trailer is detected as well. Regardless, I keep the suspension tight anyway.

rez 08-18-2022 06:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We’re nearing the end of our second season towing a 2700 lb GVWR trailer with our 2012 Q5 using a light duty Fastway e2 WDH which also functions as a sway controller - mileage log is showing close to 12,000 km towing the trailer. I wouldn’t presume to give others advice regarding manufacturer’s direction but thought it would be useful to share my experience. I did quite a bit of research before choosing to use the WDH with our particular rv and considering the construction of the rear subframe and gauge of steel used by Audi as well as other factors including safety and consultation with CanAm rv in London, Ontario I decided to use a light duty WDH. So far has worked well including in 2 extreme cross-wind events - one on the Coquihalla highway in BC and one on the cowboy trail (highway 22) in southwest Alberta.

zazzn 09-10-2022 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Stuttgartrob (Post 24265184)
I rented a 2.0TDi a couple years ago to tow a car up to england to get tuned. A total of 24 hours of towing with it during th trip with no problems.

Attachment 79316

Doesn't this way exceed the limits since the trailer is at least 2000-2100 LBS. + the car 3440? I want to two my supra to supras in vegas, but I'm scared that it will overload the Q5 TDI that i have. I know the engine will be fine but the brakes and trans I worry about since there are plenty of up and down terrain changes on the way there form San Francisco.

A6Gary 09-11-2022 01:14 PM

Per the factory manual, the maximum trailer weight for the MK I Q5 is 4,400 lbm.

hyksos 09-11-2022 05:01 PM

My mkii tow like a dream, I tow a tandem rv and last weekend I overloaded it more then normally, with a 150lbs generator, lot of food and water, It weighted 4300lbs with 700lbs tongue,(5000 total) I was alone in the q5, and it was empty so I did not exceed the max payload. I had no problem towing that and I have the petrol 2L, I was very surprised at how it handled it. No problem following the traffic even in the hill in 5th gear at 3k rpm. I only had to down shift in 4th once.

I drive it in manual mode with cruise control and I control the gear when it start to drop in speed.

the secret for stable tow is tandem wheel and enough tongue weight with WD and anti swing. with a car it’s a bit problematic to gage the tongue weight, you can go to a scale to check it. my suggestion is to try it before your trip.

TomT63 03-28-2023 11:59 AM

Hello,
I also own an older Coleman popup trailer, I'm curious what "rise" is on your hitch adapter to achieve level towing? My previous tow vehicle used a 6" rise but it looks like that is too much for a Q5? Thank

TomT63 03-28-2023 12:17 PM

Hello,
I also own an older Coleman popup trailer, I'm curious what "rise" is on your hitch adapter to achieve level towing? Thank you.