AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/)
-   -   T-Mobile Issues (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/t-mobile-issues-2892709/)

alvam 11-28-2015 06:36 PM

T-Mobile Issues

It seems my T-Mobile has stopped working in the car and won't allow me to access wi-if in the car or even access Audi-Connect. Before I call T-Mobile is there anything anyone has experienced that I may be able to try before I call?
The 2-3G icon on the lower right of the screen is grayed out.

Thanks

rault18 11-28-2015 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by alvam (Post 24748041)
It seems my T-Mobile has stopped working in the car and won't allow me to access wi-if in the car or even access Audi-Connect. Before I call T-Mobile is there anything anyone has experienced that I may be able to try before I call?

Thanks

Happened to me. Go, close the account and Re-open it. That did the trick. Changing the sim, nor their customer assistance over the phone worked. I had to shut the plan down and re start one.They can do it at the store. Takes a few mins

alvam 11-28-2015 06:56 PM

Thanks. Any cost to this as it was prepaid for 4 years? Any documention I need to have with me?

rault18 11-28-2015 07:04 PM

That im not sure as I didn't have q contract. Sorry! You may be better off getting ahold of them via phone. The store fellas know nothing about the Audi deal.

superswiss 11-29-2015 07:37 AM

The connectivity aspect of Audi Connect is not directly managed by T-Mobile. You probably won't get far if you call T-Mobile or walk into one of their stores. You need to call RacoWireless on their dedicated Audi Connect phone number 1-877-AUDI (2834) Option #1 to get issues resolved properly. The T-Mobile and AT&T accounts used for Audi Connect are so called M2M (machine to machine) accounts. They fall outside the accounts that the main customer service and the stores deal with.

Cadx6 11-30-2015 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by alvam (Post 24748041)

Thanks

Not to be snarky - but have you tried the obvious? Remove the SIM, clean the contacts gently with a pencil eraser & reinsert the SIM.
I've had a similar problem on my Q7 & removing & reinserting the SIM always fixed it.

alvam 11-30-2015 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Cadx6 (Post 24748504)
Not to be snarky - but have you tried the obvious? Remove the SIM, clean the contacts gently with a pencil eraser & reinsert the SIM.
I've had a similar problem on my Q7 & removing & reinserting the SIM always fixed it.

I did remove and air cleaned the SIM but did not employ the eraser trick. I will give that a try tonight but first will call the Audi Connect number to see how that does. Thanks

Cadx6 12-01-2015 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by alvam (Post 24748648)
I did remove and air cleaned the SIM but did not employ the eraser trick. I will give that a try tonight but first will call the Audi Connect number to see how that does. Thanks

It may very well be a T-Mobile problem - good luck with that.
I'm looking forward to a new generation Q7 that uses AT&T for data service. That way I can just add it to my existing Family Share plan for $10/mo. AT&T 4G service in my area on my "i" devices runs anywhere from 15 to 35 mbs. With T-Mobile 3G I'm lucky to see 3 mbs anywhere.

superswiss 12-01-2015 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Cadx6 (Post 24748930)
It may very well be a T-Mobile problem - good luck with that.
I'm looking forward to a new generation Q7 that uses AT&T for data service. That way I can just add it to my existing Family Share plan for $10/mo. AT&T 4G service in my area on my "i" devices runs anywhere from 15 to 35 mbs. With T-Mobile 3G I'm lucky to see 3 mbs anywhere.

You can use AT&T even now. If you have a 2013 you need a hardware exchange, but 2014+ work with AT&T out of the box. It's still 3G, up to HSPA+, though. I've had my RS5 on AT&T for about a year. I just activated a SIM from a spare tablet and stuck it into the MMI. T-Mo sucks around here. I've been much happier with it since I switched to AT&T.

Redd 12-01-2015 12:40 PM

Chipmakers all say that cleaning the contacts (and that would include SIM chips) with a PINK eraser will damage it. The pink erasers contain abrasives and they damage the extremely thin gold or tin electroplate on contacts, which allows more corrosion to form in the damages.

The trick is to use a WHITE vinyl eraser, they cost little more and all they do is roll the dirt off, they aren't abrasive at all. That's what the "refill" sticks in drafting erasers are. Some of the throwaway mechanical pencils also come with WHITE erasers instead of the pink ones.

A little plain isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol, plain rubbing alcohol) on a clean paper towel will clean them off equally well.