AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/)
-   -   VAG-COM codes (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/vag-com-codes-2776653/)

FitzLA 05-13-2009 04:06 PM

Anyone in L.A. area that can reprogram turn signals...etc?

Looking for someone that has the software and cables that can reprogram my "winking" turn signals. I'll gladly pay you. I have a mac and no cables, so I could not do it myself.

Anyone?

flogsta 05-13-2009 04:58 PM

I think this might be helpful for everyone looking for someone with a VAG-COm or as they call it now VCDS. Found this webpage myself after inspired by all the cool posts by Tony, Regina.

Make sure the person has the latest software version (see the ROSS-Tech webpage for details).

http://www.vagtoolfinder.com/locator.aspx

Cheers

PS: Looking forward to find some myself in Toronto later this year :-)

thingstopay@gmail.com 05-13-2009 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Regina_TT/S/4 (Post 23787436)
Good find!

kinda make me nervous to go to some guy's house (whose screen name is scream836) and ask him if he could reprogram the computer on my new almost $50k car.

There's gotta be an easier (safer?) way to do this. Maybe an independent dealer. The darn winking light does bother me.

flogsta 05-14-2009 06:52 AM

From Loophole:

http://www.frappr.com/vagcomlocator

http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=1427299

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...484a925d52cb7f

DrV 06-18-2009 05:28 AM

VAG-COM locations?

Anyone know of a reputable location in the NE USA that I can have config changes made? I'm planning a trip to S. Carolina in my new Q5 in August, so I could stop anywhere along the way.

DA INFERNO 06-18-2009 09:40 AM

How about Central California? I can go South to L.A. or North to the Bay Area. Or better yet, anything in Fresno Ca?

GoinAudiMyMind 06-18-2009 05:18 PM

What about this?

http://www.vagtoolfinder.com/locator.aspx

flogsta 06-18-2009 05:51 PM

check this thread:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2751643

there are a few links.

DrV 06-19-2009 03:28 AM

Perfect! Thanks guys, my summer just got better :)

DrV 06-19-2009 11:40 AM

Found someone close to home that's eager to help me, now I'll have a few pitstops to make soon after I get my car to tweak and personalize it. Can't wait!
The $1,600 price tag on an Audi installed trailer hitch still bugs me, but I can't find any local shops that install aftermarket hitches for the Q5. I'll keep searching, appreciate any input from anyone in the NE USA.

Poncherelly 06-23-2009 09:27 AM

VAG My Q5

Hello all, you might know me as Ponch from http://www.vagtoolfinder.com :), in any case I've placed my order for my Q5 S-Line and am expecting delivery in September. What I'm looking for is does anyone know of anything that can be done to the SUV using the VAG cable that they want to share?

For starters I would assume the remote windows and sunroof open/close is doable, but I guess we'll need to advertise the information for all to use. Is there anything else that can be done?

Cheers!

DrV 06-23-2009 10:55 AM

Here are some quotes from previous threads that caught my attention. I tried finding them agan so I can post the links, just do not have enough time now, but they are there if you want to do a search.

1) In the "Instruments" controller for the Q5 there's a few fun features that you can add to your car. You can see below that by opening controller 17-Instruments, using the long code helper and selecting Byte 1 you can add or remove several features. I wanted to add the "gauge sweep" and the the key warning for when the key is out of the car. For the gauge sweep, you want to make sure Bit 0 (Gauge Test/Needle Sweep active) is checked. If you want the key warning, simply make sure Bit 7 (Key Warning active) is checked. (As you can see below, by default neither of these were checked and neither function was activated.) Check Bit 3 (Lap Timer active) if you want a lap timer in your DIS computer functions. Check Bit 5 (Shift Suggestion (Economy) active) if you want an indicator active on your DIS of when to shift in manual mode.
Again, once you Exit the Long Code Helper and click Do It! in the Recode Module, all of these functions will be active.

2) Helping to continue to pass the time I plugged in the VAG-COM tool to have a poke around. I was able to add the "convenience window" feature that is deactivated for North America (allowing me to roll down windows, roll up windows and close the sunroof with unlock and lock buttons on the key.) Finally, just for fun, I activated the "gauge sweep" function. The speedo and tach now quickly sweep through their entire range when I start the Q5.

3) If you are specifically interested in video in motion from your MMI DVD player, you might want to get in contact with the guys at Audi Portal. In less that 10 minutes they were able to change settings so that while the car is moving, the display will stay on while using the DVD player. Using Team Viewer (a free, simple remote access/remote desktop sharing program) with my computer connected to my Q5 via VAG-COM, one of their techs changed the speed limit for the DVD player display. While the settings to make the change are simple enough, the area you need to access is pass code protected on all Audi's. Audi Portal has software to extract the pass code and will then make the change for you. Since you are paying for the service, I'm sure they would set up your winking DRL's and and other features you wanted activated or deactivated. Just thought I'd give you the heads-up so you can plan your VAG-COM trip and VIM activation together.

Poncherelly 06-23-2009 11:03 AM

Wow, excellent find and I look forward to trying this out!

Thanks!

ManWIthAPlan 08-31-2009 08:57 PM

VAG-COM Advanced Key Feature packs a surprise

Just thought I'd share something. I recently VAG-COM'd my Q5 and did a number of things - non-blinking DRL's, no seatbelt warning light, needle sweep, lap timer, and advanced key (allowing the key fob to shut all windows and sunroof, open chosen windows, etc. I just noticed something today that is extra cool - if you press and hold the lock button on the key fob to allow it to close the sunroof and windows, and you keep holding it after the sunroof has shut, the interior sun-shade mesh thing actually closes up all the way also...again, you have to hold it longer than normal and peer into the window to see that the shade is done closing so you can let up, but it is a well-thought out idea regardless in my opinion. It was very helpful today when I parked in the direct sunlight and realized after getting out of the car that I not only wanted my sunroof closed but the shade too - it was cool not to have to go back in the car and power it up for just a shade shutting!

Ahh yes, small pleasures :-)

FitzLA 08-31-2009 09:57 PM

Funny you should mention that because I just noticed that this weekend. It made me very happy. (It's the little things in life that make me happy, lol)

FitzLA 08-31-2009 09:58 PM

p.s. Careful on the needle sweep. That is what clued my service advisor into the fact that I made VAG changes, and he reset everything back to default. I had to have it all done again, but this time, I left the needle sweep off. Hopefully they won't reset me again.

audiofyl 09-01-2009 04:42 AM

But the needle sweep is the coolest part! It's like a party every time you start the ignition!

kleinbus 09-01-2009 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by FitzLA (Post 23845890)
p.s. Careful on the needle sweep. That is what clued my service advisor into the fact that I made VAG changes, and he reset everything back to default. I had to have it all done again, but this time, I left the needle sweep off. Hopefully they won't reset me again.

Reset comes automatically as I took off my needle sweep for 15k service and still everything was gone....

That's why saved the instructions for later use so after service I can do the tricks again.

DavidSG 09-01-2009 06:15 AM

Do you think the dealer intentionally resets or does this just happen as part of the service process?

And is there anything to be concerned about in making these VAG-COM changes (i.e. warranty issues)? I definitely want to add some of these features, but not sure what I'm getting myself into.

Coolieman1220 09-01-2009 07:16 AM

how do you find where you can "VAG-COM"

i was so bummed when i held my unlock button down (prestige plus) and none of the windows went down. I love that feature. My G35 has it and to put them up put the key in the door and turn. That works in the Audi for up and down but its nice to do it as you're walking and want the windows down.

ManWIthAPlan 09-01-2009 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220 (Post 23846021)
how do you find where you can "VAG-COM"

i was so bummed when i held my unlock button down (prestige plus) and none of the windows went down. I love that feature. My G35 has it and to put them up put the key in the door and turn. That works in the Audi for up and down but its nice to do it as you're walking and want the windows down.

Read the threads that abound here on this. It's a tool that is both hardware (a special cable that attaches to the car) and some associated software for windows that allows you to probe the innards of your Audi/VW's settings and make changes where you'd like. This is the same tool used by certified technicians to isolate faults with the car, diagnose problems, etc. As with anything like this, don't go near it if you don't know what you're doing. There is an element of risk I suppose, but some of us like to make changes and are willing to take the small risk that we might screw something up. I'm a software engineer, so I don't get scared by software tools meant for this purpose :-)

Your mileage may vary. go to www.ross-tech.com if you wanna buy the cable and software license. Otherwise, you are SOL, unless you can find someone to help you with their VAG-COM tool. There are folks willing to share theirs with you in your area if you look at www.vagcomlocator.com

Next time, read the threads available please. This has been discussed ump-teen times.

DavidSG 09-01-2009 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by ManWIthAPlan (Post 23846180)
Next time, read the threads available please. This has been discussed ump-teen times.

Not that this was directed at me (although I think it partly was), but a little surprised by the tone there. It's not like someone started a new thread with a repeat subject. It was a logical follow-up question to the info you posted in this thread. But certainly fair game to suggest that we search for more details - I will certainly do that.

brunswick31 09-01-2009 03:04 PM

Maybe somebody can help me out I have the Vag software and cable I made the changes in the software for the window to open and close on the Q5 but can not get the remote to work .I check in the MMI and there is the new option for open and=closing all windows and sunroof but I just can not get it to work. Any help please !

HaveBullDogWillTravel 09-01-2009 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by DavidSG (Post 23846310)
Not that this was directed at me (although I think it partly was), but a little surprised by the tone there. It's not like someone started a new thread with a repeat subject. It was a logical follow-up question to the info you posted in this thread. But certainly fair game to suggest that we search for more details - I will certainly do that.

I completely agree and I'm glad I wasn't the only one that picked up on the condescension...twasn't necessary

kleinbus 09-01-2009 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by DavidSG (Post 23845990)
....dealer intentionally resets or does this just happen as part of the service process....

I have seen same stories on other forums but I have not asked directly from dealer so I assume it comes along everytime when they plug on.

Not end of the world to me as it takes just 5 mins to turn back on....

kleinbus 09-01-2009 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by brunswick31 (Post 23846312)
Maybe somebody can help me out I have the Vag software and cable I made the changes in the software for the window to open and close on the Q5 but can not get the remote to work .I check in the MMI and there is the new option for open and=closing all windows and sunroof but I just can not get it to work. Any help please !

Convenience opening of windows:

With vag-com, go to Cent. Conv. 46, Coding, Long Coding Helper, click Comfort Operation: Remote Control
active, then Transfer coding, Do it.

ManWIthAPlan 09-01-2009 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by DavidSG (Post 23846310)

It was not directed at you, but rather Coolieman1220. My fault for not being specific. Sorry if I was a bit blunt guys, but we have covered the question of "what is VAGCOM" about 20 times before, and even today there are several threads that make it clear that it is a cable and software package for those that want to tinker. I'm not the Soup Nazi, but a little searching, every once in a while, would be really nice.

edwyun 09-01-2009 07:41 PM

Perhaps a sticky with VAGCOM info?

qsuv 09-01-2009 08:39 PM

Yeah, a sticky with all the vag-com codes would be great.

brunswick31 09-02-2009 06:41 AM

Remote window code

Originally Posted by kleinbus (Post 23846456)
Convenience opening of windows:

With vag-com, go to Cent. Conv. 46, Coding, Long Coding Helper, click Comfort Operation: Remote Control
active, then Transfer coding, Do it.

I did everything that you posted and it still does not work I also went into the MMI setup and made sure the window setting was in the ON postion sill nothing !

DrV 09-11-2009 10:05 AM

VAG-COM DLR codes

Someone please help me, can't find it with searching, but I know some one has posted the instructions for changing the drl settings with VAG-COM.

DrV 09-11-2009 11:22 AM

Thanks! I want the DRL's to remain lit while the turn signal is active

bayridgeguy 09-11-2009 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by DrV (Post 23851464)

The link that I sent to you is what you needed, right?

DrV 09-11-2009 11:48 AM

Perfect yes. Do you perhaps have the codes for the window convenience feature?

bayridgeguy 09-11-2009 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by DrV (Post 23851475)
Perfect yes. Do you perhaps have the codes for the window convenience feature?

PM'd you again.

AudiCO 09-11-2009 06:39 PM

Would you please post the link, I need to get this done soon. TIA

bayridgeguy 09-14-2009 04:14 AM

Hopefully I won't get into much trouble by posting links to other forums.
Here is the link to the VIM: http://www.trick77.com/2009/07/18/en...s-vag-com-mmi/

And here is Tony's post to remote convenience windows:

http://forums.motivemag.com/zerothread?id=4399013

tonyshawk 09-14-2009 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by DrV (Post 23851464)

Is there a way to do the same for those of us who have Audi Symphony?

AudiCO 09-14-2009 07:11 PM

And the DRL codes?

bayridgeguy 09-15-2009 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by AudiCO (Post 23852785)
And the DRL codes?

Another one of Tony's great posts:

http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=4399019