AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mkii-discussion-218/)
-   -   Anyone have issues with power windows? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mkii-discussion-218/anyone-have-issues-power-windows-2946746/)

MkVI GTI 09-23-2019 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by jbberz@gmail.com (Post 25368391)
any answers on how to fix this?

Roll windows down halfway and pull up on the glass. if the glass is loose i.e. moves more then 1-2mm / 1/4in the motor will need to be swapped. You can show this to the dealer to prove it's not a software issue.

When the glass is loose it does not move smoothly in the window guides and catches on one side or the other which trips the pressure sensor and the window goes back down.

Moffacake 02-27-2023 08:33 PM

Reviving this thread and wondering if anyone has any more information? I've started experiencing this on my 2018 Q5, have an appointment booked but from reading all these posts, seems like a 50/50 chance on whether it's fixed.

Gfunk720 03-01-2023 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Moffacake (Post 25794139)
Reviving this thread and wondering if anyone has any more information? I've started experiencing this on my 2018 Q5, have an appointment booked but from reading all these posts, seems like a 50/50 chance on whether it's fixed.

Mine was resolved about 95% by the dealership reprogram. While it does it still does it once in a blue moon, it's not frequent enough to try to address.

As others have mentioned above though, that's assuming yours is not related to the window motor/regulator and related hardware and not a software issue.

Universe93B 03-01-2023 01:41 PM

2018 Q5 with 30k miles, bought as a CPO, and she this issue sometimes when window is down halfway. Hard to tell if it’s due to tint since I tinted the front windows the 2nd day I got it!

I haven’t told the dealership since it happens so infrequently and they’ll just say, “Can’t replicate problem.” Their usual answer to this kind of stuff

jaims 03-01-2023 03:10 PM

Having gone through many threads over the years on this issue, I’ve come to believe that attempts to fix the issue other than replacement of the window regulators (programming, etc.) have a low probability of success - meaning a lot of ppl leave the dealer disappointed over this issue. This latter is particularly the case when the owner seeks a cure while the vehicle is under warranty. Dealer will resist footing the bill for any remedy other than a low cost programming effort.

If you are still under warranty, dealer typically will deny the more expensive fix (regulator replacement) using the “wasn’t able to duplicate the problem” excuse. My dealer even went so far as to deny me the “correct” fix by claiming the tinted windows was the cause - and thus, was an after market alteration that put it outside the warranty. Faced with both the ‘can’t duplicate’ and subsequently being confronted with the contrived window tint excuse, I had the tint removed and then documented the window reversal issue with a video of it occurring (so much for the excuse that the window tint was the cause). It took a while, given the intermittent nature of the issue. But it paid off …. the video made a compelling case of a defect within the scope of the warranty. Regulators were replaced and I’ve had no issues since (and with the tint put back on).

For anyone out of warranty, including an extended warranty, you won’t get any opposition from the dealer to replace the regulators at your cost (if and when other far less expensive fix attempts fail).

blchandl2 03-02-2023 05:21 AM

Our 2018 front regulaters were replaced under warranty about one year in. No issues since. There was a TSB at the time but I cannot find it now.

Moffacake 03-07-2023 06:12 PM

Update: Went to dealer and did software update, still didn't fix it. However upon lubricating the window 1 week before dealer I noticed it happened a lot less, then after dealer they lubricated it as well.