AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MK 1 Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mk-1-discussion-112/)
-   -   Annoying rattles/squeaking on the Q7 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mk-1-discussion-112/annoying-rattles-squeaking-q7-2779678/)

Niketalk1 04-04-2010 07:10 PM

Annoying rattles/squeaking on the Q7

As owners are well aware of, our Q7s rattle/squeaks always come up as a pet peeve. I think by starting a new thread and listing where it comes from and if the dealership is able to accurately fix, we would help each other out.

Pano sunroof: actually a TSB. The dealers would know about it.

Second row seats: latch problem? I no longer have the squeaks when I moved my right sided passenger seat all the way back.

Instrument panel: now this is new to me, came up about 2 weeks ago (about 14k on my 2009 3.6L). It is a clicking from the odometer area, anyone else have this issue? Also, on a hot day when I start the car, the instrument panel makes a loud popping noise (it was so loud one time it startled me), I thought this is maybe the plastic expanding due to the deadly summer heat of Texas.

Anyone else experience this? Also, please post your squeaks/rattles/clicks.

Thanks!

Railflyer 04-05-2010 06:25 AM

Second row seat: A metallic rattle that sounds like it is coming from underneath the bottom of the left seat base. Also a rattle or sympathetic vibration of the 60% seat back. If I fold down the middle 20% section it goes away. I have wrapped the seat latch stud but it still does it.

I'm very anxious to find these, they come and go so it is frustrating.

berns_man 04-05-2010 03:54 PM

I have a rattle coming from the back part of the sunroof. I took it to the dealer and they said that they would have to take off the entire roof liner to get to the problem. I am not sure if I want the, to do that or just live with the rattle.

My car does not rave a third row but there was a rattle coming from the second row. It was easily fixed with a little electrical tape on the latch.

Jusforfun 04-06-2010 04:25 AM

Sunroof or Moonroof TSB. You will love this.
https://forums.audiworld.com/attachm...1&d=1266000638

SteelWarHorse3.0TDi 04-06-2010 06:55 AM

Front dash, passenger side, where metal grill meets A-pillar - made an annoying and very loud "click" on the slightest road bump or even undulation. This was fixed by whacking the offending area of the grill with my shoe heel (cushoned with a dusting rag). Never came back.

:-)

StFrancis 04-07-2010 07:36 AM

I have a buzz coming from the passenger door panel when playing any kind of music at a reasonable volume. The local dealer here (J.E. Marietta) tried to correct the problem to no avail. Apparently they placed foam to fix it. I can make it stop by pushing at an exact place, which is where the faux wood meets the panel. I have now have to reduce the amount of bass to make it tolerable.

The 2nd squeak is the rear passenger side window. When I roll it down it lets out a loud squeak. It looks like it's getting stuck on the top part. We rarely open it anyway.
Otherwise we still love the beast.

AutoUnionQ7 04-07-2010 03:13 PM

Holy crap... I don't want the morons @ my local dealer assembling the Q7 back together

Arrie 04-07-2010 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by StFrancis (Post 23954804)
I have a buzz coming from the passenger door panel when playing any kind of music at a reasonable volume. The local dealer here (J.E. Marietta) tried to correct the problem to no avail. Apparently they placed foam to fix it. I can make it stop by pushing at an exact place, which is where the faux wood meets the panel. I have now have to reduce the amount of bass to make it tolerable.

The 2nd squeak is the rear passenger side window. When I roll it down it lets out a loud squeak. It looks like it's getting stuck on the top part. We rarely open it anyway.
Otherwise we still love the beast.

I also had the passanger door panel rattle but mine was only with loud base. A good test song is Mariah Carey's "Touch My Body" but any music with good base would rattle the door panel and yes, I could stop it also by pressin at the fake wood at end of it.

I also told my dealer about it but they did nothing to fix it. Their comment was that perhaps they need to replace the plastic "hooks" that hold door panel in place. Im my opinion this would not fix anything.

So, I fixed it myself.

First of all make sure the air vent(if you have one running thru the door) is in place properly. Mine was not and it was moving kind of freely but pushing it in did not fix the noise. Perhaps some of it but not sure if any.

For troubleshooting I played my "test music" loud while feeling the door panel edge on the lock side of door. Pressing it against the door frame let me to a spot where just slightly pressin it the resonance noise stopped. This spot also felt vibrating the most and this spot in my car is just above the two upper screws that hold the door lock in place. It could be different location in different cars.

I took 2 inch long piece of 1/16" diameter O-ring rubber seal material and stuck it between the door panel and door frame in the spot that I had found. I used my soft plastic comb as a tool helping to get rubber in place.

Above completely fixed the rattle in the door, rattle, which makes you crazy while driving long distance in a car which should never have this kind of a flaw.

Arrie

98a6quattro 04-07-2010 05:13 PM

Audi interiors are great but they have more rattles than Mercedes. My wife drove her C class to 115k miles, constantly hitting potholes and there was never a rattle or a sqeek. The Q ion the other hand has minor rattles here and there

Niketalk1 04-07-2010 09:47 PM

Thanks for all the input and DIYs.
The thing that bothers me the most has got to be the second row rattle.
I took it to the dealership not too long ago to have it fixed, and I quote the guy "if you just scoot your seat back it will stop making that noise."

I believe that I paid for a luxury vehicle, and a luxury vehicle should not have to resort to that type of fix it method imo.