AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/)
-   -   clicking sound when turning steering wheel with turn signal on (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/clicking-sound-when-turning-steering-wheel-turn-signal-2909453/)

sze_cx 11-13-2016 06:55 PM

clicking sound when turning steering wheel with turn signal on

ONLY when turn signal is switched on, I heard one click when turning steering wheel slightly and another two clicks when the steering wheel is almost turned to maximum angle. If the turn signal is off, everything looks smooth and quite.

not sure this is expected. If yes, is there a purpose - related to adaptive headlight or corner light (btw, i am not sure new q7 has those features)?

thanks

discogone 11-13-2016 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by sze_cx (Post 24880787)
ONLY when turn signal is switched on, I heard one click when turning steering wheel slightly and another two clicks when the steering wheel is almost turned to maximum angle. If the turn signal is off, everything looks smooth and quite.

not sure this is expected. If yes, is there a purpose - related to adaptive headlight or corner light (btw, i am not sure new q7 has those features)?

thanks

Mine has this "symptom" as well, and someone did mention this in an old thread.

The click sometimes gives me a feeling that something is overwound and could break anytime.

SYMAWD 11-13-2016 07:14 PM

Every car I've ever driven does this. It clicks once when you go past the point that will automatically cancel the signal and then again when you pass the point again by making more than one full rotation of the steering wheel.

sze_cx 11-13-2016 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by SYMAWD (Post 24880790)
Every car I've ever driven does this. It clicks once when you go past the point that will automatically cancel the signal and then again when you pass the point again by making more than one full rotation of the steering wheel.

so this is to remind the driver or technically a noticeable click can not be avoided to have auto-cancel (which i highly doubt). This is my first Audi car, but didn't notice the sound for other brands. thx

sze_cx 11-13-2016 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by discogone (Post 24880789)
Mine has this "symptom" as well, and someone did mention this in an old thread.

The click sometimes gives me a feeling that something is overwound and could break anytime.

thanks. Could you still find the old thread, or what was the conclusion there?

discogone 11-13-2016 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by sze_cx (Post 24880796)
thanks. Could you still find the old thread, or what was the conclusion there?

Here is one of the threads:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...sound-2905556/

discogone 11-13-2016 07:27 PM

Yes, if you turn past the point then that's normal with every car I have driven as well, however it is weird that I simply turn maybe just 5-10 degrees in my Q7 and the click happens.

SYMAWD 11-13-2016 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by discogone (Post 24880801)
Yes, if you turn past the point then that's normal with every car I have driven as well, however it is weird that I simply turn maybe just 5-10 degrees in my Q7 and the click happens.

Audis don't require as much of a turn to cancel the signal as other cars in my experience. In my family we've had Toyotas, Subarus, a Honda, a Kia, and a VW (really a Chrysler, the Routan) and they've all clicked.

sze_cx 11-13-2016 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by discogone (Post 24880799)

thanks, at least this seems to be normal, while I still don't quite get why it is necessary...

Meyecul 11-14-2016 08:19 AM

I have to respectfully disagree...well sort of :-). I have dug heavily into this and yes, the sound we are hearing is indeed the clock spring that cancels the turn signal. True, all cars turn signals have this same type of mechanism. However, its the loud audible level of the click in the Audi clock spring thats not at all normal. Since I noticed this in my Q7, I have made a point to check in every friend, relatives car etc. I have yet to find any other manufactures vehicle to have a click anywhere close to as loud as what I have in my Q7. My wife has a brand new loaded Mazda 6. The click in here steering column is nearly silent. You can barely hear it with dead silence in the car and you need to put your ear right up to the steering column. Audi is sourcing a badly designed clock spring mechanism for these cars and given the vehicle price point, should be ashamed of it.

It's really just an annoyance at this point (not a true problem) that frankly I have gotten used to living with, so I have let it go. But I am always given a good reminder of just how bad it is every morning when I drop my daughter off at her preschool. U turn, then immediate right into parking lot, then another immediate turn into parking space. NINE loud clicks all within 20 seconds or so...good times! All that said...if this is the biggest issue I have, I will take it. I love my Q7 like no other car ever owned :-)