AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/)
-   -   Is the panorama roof laminated or tempered glass? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/panorama-roof-laminated-tempered-glass-2897775/)

kip1 03-20-2016 02:24 AM

Is the panorama roof laminated or tempered glass?

In this euroncap test it looks like the panorama roof doesnt shatter. Is it laminated?

In comparison the x5 panorama is definately unsafe tempered glass:

gk1 03-20-2016 07:53 AM

Per yor original question, dunno, may have just been luck. I know some previous Audis had shattering problems. Maybe they modified how they make it.

On a side note the pedestrian head impact test near the end of the video was pretty neat where the hood pops up to soften the impact.

kip1 03-20-2016 10:15 PM

No one knows??

iconoclast 03-21-2016 08:41 AM

All Q5/Q7 use Tempered on all glazing in the vehicle except rear windshield and front. Only the A6 and A8 have laminated side windows.

http://www.audi.de/dam/nemo/models/m...itfaden_EN.pdf

kip1 03-21-2016 08:45 AM

Yes, Audi confirmed that panorama is tempered. However, as option Q7 has laminated front and side glass, rear is not, if tinted also rear side are not laninated.

iconoclast 03-21-2016 09:03 AM

I am not sure if that is an option in all regions. I have not seen that on a NAR build-sheet.

kip1 03-21-2016 09:36 AM

In europe they are options PDJ and PDG.

Rimas. 03-24-2016 10:28 AM

I'm wondering if panoramic roof reduces noise insulation significantly when adding together with heat/sound insulating windows? I mean that sound insulation with these windows is very good. Will it become worse if panoramic roof will be added?

kip1 03-24-2016 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Rimas. (Post 24792028)
I'm wondering if panoramic roof reduces noise insulation significantly when adding together with heat/sound insulating windows? I mean that sound insulation with these windows is very good. Will it become worse if panoramic roof will be added?

My thoughts exactly. I ordered the heated laminated front window and side windows. Then I found out if the rear windows are tinted Audi offers only non laminated windows in the rear. Wierd, so now only front side windows and windshield are laminated. So for me it would have been noisewise indifferent as I took tinted rear windows in tge etron order, but dont want a sunroof imploding on my children. But if you order non tinted rear windows with lamination, I bet you lose some sound insulation with the oano. In the Tesla I have a laminated pano.

Rimas. 03-24-2016 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by kip1 (Post 24792031)
My thoughts exactly. I ordered the heated laminated front window and side windows. Then I found out if the rear windows are tinted Audi offers only non laminated windows in the rear. Wierd, so now only front side windows and windshield are laminated. So for me it would have been noisewise indifferent as I took tinted rear windows in tge etron order, but dont want a sunroof imploding on my children. But if you order non tinted rear windows with lamination, I bet you lose some sound insulation with the oano. In the Tesla I have a laminated pano.

Therefore I'm going to order non tinted windows and apply an aftermarket tint. By the way - that was an advise of the local dealer if I'd like to have the best possible noise insulation. The demo car I've tried have had a pano and I liked it very much. But now I'm thinking that it might void laminated windows advantages.

kip1 03-24-2016 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rimas. (Post 24792041)
Therefore I'm going to order non tinted windows and apply an aftermarket tint. By the way - that was an advise of the local dealer if I'd like to have the best possible noise insulation. The demo car I've tried have had a pano and I liked it very much. But now I'm thinking that it might void laminated windows advantages.

Again my thoughts exactly. However, I really have never been totally satisfied with non factory tinting quality. I am a little afraid how it might looks with time bubble formation etc...

Rimas. 03-24-2016 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by kip1 (Post 24792066)
Again my thoughts exactly. However, I really have never been totally satisfied with non factory tinting quality. I am a little afraid how it might looks with time bubble formation etc...

I have tinted rear windows on my 1st gen Q7 at the local tint shop. No problems (bubbles etc) for 6 years so far.

kip1 03-24-2016 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rimas. (Post 24792071)
I have tinted rear windows on my 1st gen Q7 at the local tint shop. No problems (bubbles etc) for 6 years so far.

Nice. Contacted my dealer. I just wonder why Audi doesnt offer it, what is the potential problem?

Rimas. 03-24-2016 12:17 PM

Yeah. I was curious about that too. Tinted windows are good. Laminated even better. So why not to have both at the same time. I suspect that there might be some problems with tint coating on laminated glasses or something. However that is just my guess.

kip1 03-24-2016 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Rimas. (Post 24792079)
Yeah. I was curious about that too. Tinted windows are good. Laminated even better. So why not to have both at the same time. I suspect that there might be some problems with tint coating on laminated glasses or something. However that is just my guess.

Exactly the problems I dont want...

kip1 03-24-2016 12:24 PM

Just checked a few tinting firms, many say laminated glass should be tinted with extreme caution, the film heats and may crack the window. I think Ill pass, sadly.

Rimas. 03-24-2016 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by kip1 (Post 24792086)
Just checked a few tinting firms, many say laminated glass should be tinted with extreme caution, the film heats and may crack the window. I think Ill pass, sadly.

Hm. Didn't thought about that. Need to investigate deeper :/
Are you going to get tinted over laminated or vice versa?

kip1 03-31-2016 09:36 AM

So Audi sells 5% mirror/tint as an accessory for the Q7 so Audi officially has nothing against aftermarket tinting, so I went for full lamination and aftermarket tint.