AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/)
-   -   Q7 vs. XC90 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/q7-vs-xc90-2914616/)

TrueAt1stLight 02-16-2017 02:35 PM

That XC90 sure is a beautiful vehicle, until you look under the hood, both figuratively and literally. A turbo and super-charged four cylinder pushing a X.XX ton SUV; what could go wrong? I test-drove one back when we were replacing my wife's last vehicle and while it handled well (albeit a bit choppy), the thing sounded like a lawnmower with the throttle stuck open when accelerating in any moderate to serious manner. Perhaps the Polestar tune would help that, however review my point one above, only even more of a concern!

-John

Keyser Wi 02-16-2017 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by erwheezy (Post 24923554)
thanks for the responses. i think it just the wait for the Q7 thats getting to me. Ordered in december and i still don't have a production date.

make sure you have the order on paper with the agreed price

farmerjones 02-16-2017 03:38 PM

These are probably two of the most "equal" vehicles on the market right now.

I am both an Audi owner and long time Volvo owner. Anyone that is familiar with Volvo knows their engineering is top notch, and the 90 series has ushered in unprecedented interior quality and design at this price. You'll not numerous online reviews of the XC90's interior quality as on par with Bentley.

Each car has has pluses and minuses, so it does indeed come down to preferences and what is most important. 3rd row comfort hands down goes to the Volvo. Anyone concerned with Volvo's engine design has only speculation on their side, as Volvo's have been known for engine durability for decades (just google search the % of engine failures/1000 by brand) and this engine has no reason to change that. Audi offers the A7 with a 2.0L 4 cylinder as well..... If you prefer the V6 in the Audi have at it (it's a sweet motor) but the Volvo motor is a non-issue. You better get used to 2.0L 4-cylinders in your SUVs, cause it's the future.

Either vehicle will treat you well, you can't really go wrong. It's clear Volvo has stepped up the game this go around, and it's taking time to earn the respect the brand deserves. The fact so many people find the Volvo an equal to other luxury SUVs says a lot. Seeing as there continues to be more demand for the XC90 a year after launch (and the factory running 24 hours a day, 6 days a week) shows you a ton of people are super pleased with the car. And it is aggressively priced and offers some pretty trick content even the Audi doesn't have.

Hard to go wrong with either vehicle.

PeteDin206 02-16-2017 05:11 PM

Having sat in a Bentley a few times I can tell you the interior is no where near "Bentley Quality" on an XC90. Any reviewer who said that should be shot...

farmerjones 02-16-2017 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by PeteDin206 (Post 24923749)
Having sat in a Bentley a few times I can tell you the interior is no where near "Bentley Quality" on an XC90. Any reviewer who said that should be shot...

Well...there are multiple magazines that have mentioned that exact comparison. Which is no surprise....the 90 series cars from Volvo had the lead interior designer who's previous job was interiors at Bentley. We can agree to disagree, and no...certainly not all aspects of the Volvo are Bentley-like . However a large portion of it is, from plastics to real metals to trims and to leathers and stitching....it's more high end than the Q7 with the leather dashboard and the door trims offers at any price.

Like I said both the XC90 and the Q7 are great choices and are seriously equally matched. However you can't deny Volvo has gone all out on interior material selection, fit and quality and matches the Q7 (and exceeds in some areas). The level of importance a buyer places on this is hugely personal, as there is no huge difference between the two cars in almost any metric to be measured.

pcaddict66 02-16-2017 07:02 PM

I don't think anyone is questioning the engine's longevity. I have no doubt it will be reliable. Others here are questing the experience of the drive with a small engine. My sister has one and it's loud and unrefined sounding when you stomp on it. I have no doubt that the 2.0T in the Q7 will be similar but at least a v6 is available. The reliability issues with the Volvo are electronics related, Sensus issues, leaking roofs; things of that nature. My sister ordered hers and got one of the first ones in New England and it went back 11 times in the first year for these types of issues. It's since been a lot better with the repairs done and the software fixes though.

farmerjones 02-16-2017 07:20 PM

Any new vehicle has some issues, especially when literally 100% is "all new". As a Volvo enthusiast I was certainly disheartened by some of the initially problems. It should have been better.... Happily Volvo has worked hard on helping many of those individuals get their problems rectified, and the software continues to improve weekly. Gladly the vast majority of issues have been "annoyances" not serious problems. The Q7 has certainly had it's list of complaints and unresolved problems in it's first year as well....

It seems like there is endless conjecture the Volvo 4 won't be reliable, and I personally find this ridiculous. I also don't understand the comments about the loud and unrefined comments of the motor..... Ward Auto has listed this in the Top 10 best engines, and you don't get on that exclusive list by being loud and unrefined. Everyone has different expectations I guess. To me it's a lot like the Volvo 5 cylinders....it's just a "different" sound that the 6 or 8 cylinder motors most are accustomed to. Some like it, some don't....either way when cruising down the road it's a gem of a motor.

PeteDin206 02-16-2017 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by farmerjones (Post 24923750)
Well...there are multiple magazines that have mentioned that exact comparison. Which is no surprise....the 90 series cars from Volvo had the lead interior designer who's previous job was interiors at Bentley. We can agree to disagree, and no...certainly not all aspects of the Volvo are Bentley-like . However a large portion of it is, from plastics to real metals to trims and to leathers and stitching....it's more high end than the Q7 with the leather dashboard and the door trims offers at any price.

Like I said both the XC90 and the Q7 are great choices and are seriously equally matched. However you can't deny Volvo has gone all out on interior material selection, fit and quality and matches the Q7 (and exceeds in some areas). The level of importance a buyer places on this is hugely personal, as there is no huge difference between the two cars in almost any metric to be measured.

Again, having spent a decent amount of time in Bentleys (multiple friends own them), I can tell you there is ZERO comparison... The craftsmanship on a Bentley vs a Volvo (made by a Chinese company) is like comparing French Laundry to Shake Shack... Sure Shake Shack tastes damn good, but it will never be comparable product. I sat in an XC90 at the Seattle Auto show and found the materials cheap and the overall feel just like a bad knockoff handbag out of Shenzhen.

AudiFanFL 02-16-2017 09:00 PM

Initially, I also considered the XC90 and even went so far to order one - but in the end...

farmerjones 02-16-2017 09:17 PM

Well I'm afraid we won't see eye to eye then. But if you want to take the position of Volvo is a Chinese brand with "knockoff" quality we have nothing to discuss. Your dismissive attitude is not representative of the industry nor of most buyers. FYI the XC90 is build in Sweden, designed in Sweden, and carries on in the European tradition they have established for decades.... Your reference of the company as Chinese is a demeaning and telling comment and discredits you. Yeah...your friends own Bentleys and you ride in them.... Well, I could say the same thing... And clearly you don't really have much experience in judging material quality to dismiss the Volvo interior (designed by an experienced Bentley employee) as cheap. It's anything but not. Your Q7 doesn't have a Orrefors crystal shifter, or a leather dashboard and door panels, or hand-laid wood trim as the Volvo does, so I would be cautions about trying to convince others of the Q7s superiority. Your view doesn't match up with virtually anyone in the automotive review industry. I'd say that's a creditability problem on your part... Both the Q7 and XC90 have nice interiors, but it's hard to discredit some touches of quality that Audi has omitted. Have you seen a XC90 Excellence model?! You wanna call that interior/feature content cheap? Get real....

That's all I have to say about this. Nothing irritates me more than pompous brand bashing by fanboys...other manufactures make exemplery products, it's a fact. You don't drive the only nice auto brand, bro....geez.