AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/)
-   -   Slow Speed Turns - Clicking Sound From Front End (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/slow-speed-turns-clicking-sound-front-end-2933171/)

audi9302 11-19-2017 06:15 AM

My Q5 didn't -- why does my Q7?

hayde_bre 11-20-2017 07:38 PM

I came home today and it didn't make the sound. Does it also come and go for you guys?

RJC 1 11-27-2017 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by hayde_bre (Post 25069894)
RJC 1, no that was a different sound for sure, and we were able to pinpoint it in this thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...sound-2917583/
They have the exact sound and it seems to be very common. It's not a deal breaker so I'll live with it for now.

However, for the first time today I got the slow speed turn sound on my Q7. I must have less than 500miles on mine. We drove about 2 hours in the rain today, when I came to my driveway, I noticed a grinding like noise and I thought it was something rubbing somewhere, or maybe it was the rain, but it wasn't. When I turned the wheel all the way, and slowly went forward or reverse, I was hearing something. I went back and forth few times, and the noise is there only for the last 1/2 to 3/4 turns of the wheel to either direction.
Being a new vehicle, I usually have smells from various places in the Q7, but today after parking it the smell was much more, it was more like a heated plastic smell. I don't know if it's still the "new" smell on the moving parts or if it was something rubbing and getting hot, causing the smell.

Here is the creaking sound, sticking the camera out drivers window, holding it below front driver door mirror (a bit amplified because I was driving right next to a wall, but I did it on purpose so you can hear) Can you confirm if this is the same noise everyone is hearing. Driving forward/reverse/forward with wheel turned all the way to left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg7g_UT2_nc

If this is not what you guys are hearing, I'll start a new thread.

Thanks for posting the audio. Sounds similar although not exactly what I've been hearing (from inside) as I described at the start of the thread during slow speed turns. I'll have a listen from outside the vehicle today, compare and will report back. If its coming from the front suspension area I'd imagine it's the same issue.

Meyecul 11-28-2017 07:21 AM

I got mine back last Friday with this control arm / bushing TSB repair done and its a huge improvement. No creaking sound and suspension feels much more solid. I do believe I may have a a little bit of an alignment issue now as I have some subtle tingle vibration in the steering wheel (creates a sensation in your hands after a while like if you were to use a power tool a bit too long). I had an alignment done a few months ago and that would have been with the bad control arm issue, so wondering if if another alignment is going to be needed. I am going by the dealer today to check it out.

raptors2k 11-28-2017 08:33 AM

How long have you had this problem?.Do you find this q7 to be reliable. I see you have own previous audi, do you had this problem as well?
thanks... I mean i want to own a Q7, but I dont to make my dealer a constant Pit Stop

RJC 1 11-28-2017 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by raptors2k (Post 25074188)
How long have you had this problem?.Do you find this q7 to be reliable. I see you have own previous audi, do you had this problem as well?
thanks... I mean i want to own a Q7, but I dont to make my dealer a constant Pit Stop

I noticed this issue after about 2500 miles but it could have been there previously, I have not been back to the workshop as of yet to have it and other issues resolved. I have had too many issues with a vehicle beginning at only 1000 miles (4k on odo now), one of which Audi refuses to address. I luv Audi's new MLB platform (waited two years for it to debut here before ordering) but I'm not sure I'd buy another Audi.

Meyecul 11-28-2017 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by raptors2k (Post 25074188)

I am not sure how long I had this creak sound with sharp slow turns but was prob close to a year. Its not one of those things I gave much thought too until it started being discussed on the forum. Some cars make subtle sounds with sharp turns of the steering wheel and it never affected anything as far as drivability etc. Its fixed now and perfect. Despite the few things I have been to the dealer for including the turn signal click issue which did drive me crazy (also now fixed), as a whole I would still buy the Q7 again in a heartbeat. There really is no close competition when comparing the ride, tech, features, and cost. I am also lucky that I have one of the best dealerships in the entire country which has made the visits I have had to endure as pleasurable as one could ask for.

RJC 1 11-28-2017 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Meyecul (Post 25074379)
I am not sure how long I had this creak sound with sharp slow turns but was prob close to a year. Its not one of those things I gave much thought too until it started being discussed on the forum. Some cars make subtle sounds with sharp turns of the steering wheel and it never affected anything as far as drivability etc. Its fixed now and perfect. Despite the few things I have been to the dealer for including the turn signal click issue which did drive me crazy (also now fixed), as a whole I would still buy the Q7 again in a heartbeat. There really is no close competition when comparing the ride, tech, features, and cost. I am also lucky that I have one of the best dealerships in the entire country which has made the visits I have had to endure as pleasurable as one could ask for.

How many total days out of service for all your problems so far?

danielk015 02-25-2019 06:46 PM

Sorry to revive this old thread but have not found any new updates on this on the search. Are Q7 owners with this problem previously had it successfully fixed? I called the dealer and said they will check it again but no fixes are out there for this. Last time, they could not recreate it. Or have some owners have gotten used to the noise from the steering wheel and it does not bother them much anymore?

RJC 1 02-28-2019 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by danielk015 (Post 25281566)
Sorry to revive this old thread but have not found any new updates on this on the search. Are Q7 owners with this problem previously had it successfully fixed? I called the dealer and said they will check it again but no fixes are out there for this. Last time, they could not recreate it. Or have some owners have gotten used to the noise from the steering wheel and it does not bother them much anymore?

Mine improved by about +/-80% after the TSB but it's not perfect, I've also develpoed a strange deep resonance sound when turing the wheel at a stop or very very slow speeds >3mph, this developed around 12k and a few mo's after the TSB.