AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/)
-   -   Slow Speed Turns - Clicking Sound From Front End (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/slow-speed-turns-clicking-sound-front-end-2933171/)

Brimstone 10-31-2019 06:41 AM

I've also been getting a groaning noise at low speed turns lately, planning on asking about it at 40k service.

mhoran89 10-31-2019 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Brimstone (Post 25381840)
I've also been getting a groaning noise at low speed turns lately, planning on asking about it at 40k service.

This is not a groaning noise. It is a popping / clicking.
Groaning is the diff issue which is supposedly remedied by changing both the center and rear diff fluids...

VanDamme 11-05-2019 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by danielk015 (Post 25377142)
That is good news. Can you let us know what they ended up replacing? Thanks!

Was in for my 30K service and complained about the noise. Invoice shows it was fixed under TSB 2048266/6. "Replaced the front trailing arm bushing on both sides"

Rubberbumper 01-15-2021 03:52 AM

Your description of the sound as "a deep resonance" is exactly what we're getting with our Q8. That's a good descriiption.

imdakine1 01-15-2021 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Rubberbumper (Post 25539855)
Your description of the sound as "a deep resonance" is exactly what we're getting with our Q8. That's a good descriiption.

I think this might be a sound I heard on our Q8 when turning slowly on a large circle freeway entrance. Upper left side of vehicle by driver or left front wheel etc...

Rubberbumper 03-08-2021 04:30 AM

Thought I'd fill you in on the eventual result. I say "eventual" since it took 3 service calls and over two weeks in the shop to get this fixed. The short version is Audi finally agreed to replace the center differential. That's fixed the problem, although we've only driven it a hundred miles so far.

The longer version is that at the first service Audi replaced the center diff fluid with a new version. The problem went away, but was back after a few hundred miles. They then installed some sort of spacer between the diff and wheel bearings that was supposed to limit noise transmission. In other words, mask the problem vs. fix. It did reduce the noise somewhat. When the car was in the third time, the shop foreman told me that Audi knew they had a problem and came up with a replacement fluid as a fix (the first service) but ours was apparently too damaged (18,000 miles) and after much back and forth with Audi, the decision was taken to replace the diff.

The dealer was very good in handling all this. My service writer told me right up front what the problem was, but that Audi would want to slow walk this problem before doing the right thing (slow walk are my words, not his).

After 18 months of ownership, experience with two dealers and a couple interactions with Audi NA, I've come away with the opinion that Audi NA doesn't let the dealers do their jobs. They micromanage from above and are slow to do the right thing. We love the basic Q8 for it's ride, handling and features but have been very frustrated with Audi's technical support on all the electronics and features, as well as the slow response to fixing the steering noise. This is our first Audi, and it's an open question as to whether or not we will keep it.

mhoran89 03-08-2021 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Rubberbumper (Post 25561660)
Thought I'd fill you in on the eventual result. I say "eventual" since it took 3 service calls and over two weeks in the shop to get this fixed. The short version is Audi finally agreed to replace the center differential. That's fixed the problem, although we've only driven it a hundred miles so far.

The longer version is that at the first service Audi replaced the center diff fluid with a new version. The problem went away, but was back after a few hundred miles. They then installed some sort of spacer between the diff and wheel bearings that was supposed to limit noise transmission. In other words, mask the problem vs. fix. It did reduce the noise somewhat. When the car was in the third time, the shop foreman told me that Audi knew they had a problem and came up with a replacement fluid as a fix (the first service) but ours was apparently too damaged (18,000 miles) and after much back and forth with Audi, the decision was taken to replace the diff.

The dealer was very good in handling all this. My service writer told me right up front what the problem was, but that Audi would want to slow walk this problem before doing the right thing (slow walk are my words, not his).

After 18 months of ownership, experience with two dealers and a couple interactions with Audi NA, I've come away with the opinion that Audi NA doesn't let the dealers do their jobs. They micromanage from above and are slow to do the right thing. We love the basic Q8 for it's ride, handling and features but have been very frustrated with Audi's technical support on all the electronics and features, as well as the slow response to fixing the steering noise. This is our first Audi, and it's an open question as to whether or not we will keep it.

This problem you are describing here is "quattro rumble" which would be solved by new center diff fluid. This thread was mainly created to address the front lower control arm suspension bushing noises people experience as "popping" at full lock (usually at a standstill). Just FYI in case anyone is confused...

bottles63 01-18-2022 02:13 PM

I'm still getting popping, creaking on an incline or low-speed turn. I replaced the upper and lower bushing already, still the same.

Did anyone figure this out yet?

v8s4 01-18-2022 02:22 PM

could it be an issue with the cv joints/