AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/)
-   -   Underwhelmed by LED headlights (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/underwhelmed-led-headlights-2968210/)

audisession 03-05-2019 02:53 AM

The q7 led headlights are great
nice even illumination

in snow and wet roads, lower kelvin (less blue/yellower) lights are best - just physics

JT4 03-05-2019 04:21 AM

IME the LED lights are fine, could they be brighter sure but I haven't been in a situation yet were I said to myself "these lights are horrible".. Now I will say that driving in the snow Sunday night and other storms the lights do get reflected which IMO dims them somewhat even though I have the aux lights activated.

You want to talk about horrible lights, I have the Xenon Plus in my Allroad and those lights are horrible. They don't "throw" the light anywhere close to the LEDs in Q7 and the LEDs (IMO) are much brighter. I wish I had them in the Allroad, I never thought I would be in the market to upgrade the headlights on an Audi, but I am going to start looking into upgrading the Xenon bulbs with something brighter...

BigKutta 03-05-2019 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by swedesc (Post 25285026)
It's because Xenons are HID's and HID's are way brighter than led's.

Actually my complaint is not really about the brightness, but about the other (non-existent) features that have been around for years in other cars. And no, I shouldn't have to park against a cinder block wall to adjust lights on my $70k vehicle either!

gscrazy 03-05-2019 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by BigKutta (Post 25285183)
Actually my complaint is not really about the brightness, but about the other (non-existent) features that have been around for years in other cars. And no, I shouldn't have to park against a cinder block wall to adjust lights on my $70k vehicle either!

mine is on both points, the lack of features and the dimness. My 20 year old sedan's headlights should not light the road better than a new Audi.

This is truly one extremely weak point in an otherwise fantastic car.

BigKutta 03-05-2019 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by gscrazy (Post 25285190)

mine is on both points, the lack of features and the dimness. My 20 year old sedan's headlights should not light the road better than a new Audi.

This is truly one extremely weak point in an otherwise fantastic car.

What technology are the lights in the sedan? I too thought I wasn't happy with the brightness of the LEDs, but it was different (like more white than Xenon), and over time I got used to the brightness and quite like it. However, the one issue I have is the cutoff. The white light also makes for a very sharp cutoff, after which it's pitch black. I bit unsettling.

gscrazy 03-05-2019 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by BigKutta (Post 25285183)

Originally Posted by BigKutta (Post 25285199)
What technology are the lights in the sedan? I too thought I wasn't happy with the brightness of the LEDs, but it was different (like more white than Xenon), and over time I got used to the brightness and quite like it. However, the one issue I have is the cutoff. The white light also makes for a very sharp cutoff, after which it's pitch black. I bit unsettling.

My sedan has HIDs and they performed great in snow and rain, even on unlit roads. I have also driven my brother-in-law's 2013 Mercedes GLK with halogens in bad weather and even those were able to better light the road.

What tech did your previous cars have? And how would you say they compare to the Q7's LED headlights?

ConservativeConsumer 03-05-2019 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by BigKutta (Post 25285199)

Same impression. The lights by themselves are fine. The high beams work excellent. This is the cutoff in low beam mode that is not allowing to look far enough to be comfortable.
P.S. I wonder if folks who were trying to adjust headlights assemblies with a screwdriver ever done re-calibration of the lights leveling system? My guess is that it has not been done, in which case upping the lights only reduced the level of beams adjustment available for driving downhill. So this was rather worsening light operation than improving it.

Dasaint 03-05-2019 06:40 AM

I wish the Q7 had matrix in the US. To me the brightness is fine but the but like someone said the Cutoff is low. It no issue on well lit roads but on slower dark/poorly lit streets it a bothersome. It's areas where the high beams are overkill /relatively busy but the low beam cutoff is too low. The night vision help ease that situation tho as I can see up the street. I did the coding to raise headlight at speed, but it only activates at 70mph. Which it does help a little at higher speeds. I know these imo are the best lights I had in bad weather, especially when it rains on a black surface. With the aux lights on I can see the wet road better than our mdx. But maybe I should use autobeams more

BigKutta 03-05-2019 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by gscrazy (Post 25285204)
What tech did your previous cars have? And how would you say they compare to the Q7's LED headlights?

My BMW has Xenons, which are fantastic. My MB ML has halogens, which, after using Xenons and LEDs are completely useless...LOL!

Simon129 03-05-2019 07:26 AM

Theres a website sell the matrix headlight retrofit kit for $7999 that's crazy