AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/)
-   -   Winter tires for new Q7? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/winter-tires-new-q7-2907304/)

Zoich 12-15-2016 07:45 PM

3 things you will need.

1. A breaker bar. Torque wrench is NOT meant for you to use as a socket wrench. It has been carefully calibrated. Use the torque wrench for final tightening the lug bolts so you don't over tighten. Also tighten enough.

2. Purchase the extended/longer socket with silicone cover to 1) socket won't marr inside the holes of the lugbbolts. 2) longer socket so you have enough distance between the handle of the breaker bar or the torque wrench away from the body of the car. Don't want to take any chance the handles bang into the car body.

3. A torque wrench

4. I guess there is really 4, a reverse logic jack pad adaptor https://www.reverselogic.us/audi_jack_pad.html

I just got my winters installed. Bought a set of 19" take offs wheels (premium model) when owner immediately upgraded to 21 in. Then mounted 255/55/19 blizzaks DMV2 from Costco for $801 installed.

Originally Posted by bkafrick (Post 24894436)
I'm sorry for this sounding like a dumb question, but do I not need a torque wrench too?

DKV 12-16-2016 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cadx6 (Post 24863277)
The only major difference with the "wheel size" on the new Q7 & the old generation is the bolt pattern (5x112 vs 5x130).
If you're in the US & have the 10 spoke wheels, they come with All-Seasons but Bridgestone definitely does have 20" Blizzak DMV 2's available. They're 275/45 vs the stock 285/45, but a slightly narrower tire is preferable for dedicated winter use.
I purchased a set of 20" wheels with the exact same specs as the OEM 20's & mounted the Blizzaks which will replace my 21" summers when winter comes.

Who gave you the idea that narrower tires are better for winter?

PeteDin206 12-16-2016 04:19 PM

Have you ever watched WRC races during the winter? Those guys are running super narrow tires in the winter races.

Bozman5000 12-16-2016 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by DKV (Post 24895204)
Who gave you the idea that narrower tires are better for winter?

Winter Tech Information - Size Selection of Winter / Snow Tires

Why You Should Downsize Your Winter Wheels

DKV 12-16-2016 04:48 PM

I grew in the mountains and still go to Idaho in the winter. The guys out there use quite a size tires on ther winter of road rigs. If you are going out on soft snow you will be dugin in no time all the way to the hubs with narrow tires.

When it comes to rally racing, check the international rally circuit on Red Bull Chanel.

It is basic physics. Smaller contact patch does not give you more traction. Bigger contact pach, from a bigger wheel, with deep treads give you more traction in deep snow and mud.

I am goin on a winter trip across Canada with the 20" all season on. Will let you know how the handling was compared to my xterra with 18/40/265 that I used last time.

DKV 12-16-2016 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by PeteDin206 (Post 24895209)
Have you ever watched WRC races during the winter? Those guys are running super narrow tires in the winter races.

I grew up in Europe in the mountains. My driving instructor was a former rally racer. Check again.

DKV 12-16-2016 04:54 PM

'"What about snow/winter rallies? There are a couple of manufacturers that make rally-specific snow tires. Commonly there are three different kinds of snow tire; ones for deep/soft snow, ones for hard-packed snow and others made for ice. The most common deep snow tire is the Yokohama AO34. They are built the same way as a gravel rally tire, but have a very soft compound with a wide open tread pattern (studless). For hard packed snow, people choose a tire that is similar to a snow tire you would see on everyday streetcars (studless or studded). Finally, the tires built for ice are very different from the rest. They are extremely narrow (almost half the width of the gravel tire) and are equipped with large studs or spikes, virtually giving the cars more traction that a gravel tire on a dirt road."

Rally Tires. What makes them special?

Basically guys you are talking about pure ice tires which are not practical for daily use.

netrom17 12-18-2016 08:37 AM

I have 21" winter tires. Got a chance to try them on a mix of "10 of fresh snow and hard packed on unpaved forrest roads i VT yesterday. The car handles amazingly well. Super grip, giving throttle coming out of a corner and it just sticks. I'm not sure how much of that is due to the adaptive chassis/four wheel steering, my '12 Q7 would definitely throw out its rear and sail around to a much greater extent before it would get itself back on track.

DKV 12-18-2016 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by netrom17 (Post 24895832)
I have 21" winter tires. Got a chance to try them on a mix of "10 of fresh snow and hard packed on unpaved forrest roads i VT yesterday. The car handles amazingly well. Super grip, giving throttle coming out of a corner and it just sticks. I'm not sure how much of that is due to the adaptive chassis/four wheel steering, my '12 Q7 would definitely throw out its rear and sail around to a much greater extent before it would get itself back on track.

Would you mind sharing a little more detail on the tires? What brand, how wide etc.

I saw some 20" Pirelli on tire rack that look interesting.

netrom17 12-18-2016 06:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by DKV (Post 24895869)
Would you mind sharing a little more detail on the tires? What brand, how wide etc.

I saw some 20" Pirelli on tire rack that look interesting.

Mine are Pirelli Scorpion Winter, ordered from Tirerack too, size 285x40-r21:

Tire Rack - Search Result

I really like the tire, but can't speak to how good it is compared to other winter tires of same size on this car. (I'd obviously like to believe that the excellent handling largely is due to the car itself.)