AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/rs4-b7-platform-discussion-121/)
-   -   Braking Problems (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/rs4-b7-platform-discussion-121/braking-problems-2801910/)

laxman1100 03-10-2011 06:59 AM

Braking Problems

Hi, I recently started having problems with my ABS Braking. When I brake, it feels like the ABS is going off and the pedal is mushy. However, at some point the ABS and ESP tractional control lights illuminate on the dash and the brakes start working again. Albiet, still kind of mushy.

I did some searching, but didn't see anything identical to this issue. Please help!

Reggie 03-10-2011 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by laxman1100 (Post 24115138)
Hi, I recently started having problems with my ABS Braking. When I brake, it feels like the ABS is going off and the pedal is mushy. However, at some point the ABS and ESP tractional control lights illuminate on the dash and the brakes start working again. Albiet, still kind of mushy.

I did some searching, but didn't see anything identical to this issue. Please help!

How many miles do you have on the pads? Most people started seeing their pads go as early as 15K miles depending on how aggressive of a driver they are. Your symptoms seem to indicate you have a issue with your master cylinder or have air in the system.

laxman1100 03-10-2011 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Reggie (Post 24115144)
How many miles do you have on the pads? Most people started seeing their pads go as early as 15K miles depending on how aggressive of a driver they are. Your symptoms seem to indicate you have a issue with your master cylinder or have air in the system.

The pads look fine, but would it just all of a sudden start acting up like this?

I've been reading about ABS sensors going bad, would that effect ESP?

Reggie 03-10-2011 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by laxman1100 (Post 24115154)
The pads look fine, but would it just all of a sudden start acting up like this?

I've been reading about ABS sensors going bad, would that effect ESP?

I doubt that would cause a mushy feel in the pedal - That is why I suspect there is a issue with your Master/slave cylinders or that you have air in your system.

laxman1100 03-20-2011 05:32 PM

It ended up being the ABS sensor. My shop also bled the brakes and braking feels solid.

Ragdoll 04-07-2011 08:10 PM

Thanks for updating! More people should come back to their threads to update.

s4master1 04-07-2011 11:24 PM

mushy

Originally Posted by laxman1100 (Post 24119327)
It ended up being the ABS sensor. My shop also bled the brakes and braking feels solid.

Agree with Reggie, no abs speed sensor failure would cause this symptom, at one point the brake fluid must have reach it's boiling point and needs to be flushed out completely, or even the master cylinder has already been damaged.