AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-b8-platform-discussion-134/)
-   -   Clear Coat Damage (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-b8-platform-discussion-134/clear-coat-damage-2857174/)

folgen nie 11-20-2013 08:03 AM

Clear Coat Damage

I have a circular 1/2" diameter dull spot in the clear coat on the hood of my car. I tried a clay bar and then wax to see if that would do it, but that made no change. What next step would you advise? Thanks in advance.

DrGP 11-20-2013 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by folgen nie (Post 24511024)
I have a circular 1/2" diameter dull spot in the clear coat on the hood of my car. I tried a clay bar and then wax to see if that would do it, but that made no change. What next step would you advise? Thanks in advance.

I would take it in. If you have any kind of service manager, they should fix it. BTW, this isn't Niemans Folgen from B6 s4 days is it?

folgen nie 11-20-2013 08:48 AM

Thanks

Hopefully they can do something with it. I used Nie Folgen back in the B6 S4 days, but never Nieman Folgen

DrGP 11-20-2013 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by folgen nie (Post 24511042)
Hopefully they can do something with it. I used Nie Folgen back in the B6 S4 days, but never Nieman Folgen

Did you have a friend with a black Avant named Wes?

folgen nie 11-21-2013 03:40 AM

Nope

Wasn't me, what part of the country, I'm in fort Worth, Texas

rdef 11-21-2013 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by folgen nie (Post 24511024)

Use a PC and light polish/abrasive. It will come out as long as the spot isn't all the way through the clearcoat.

MVR 155 11-21-2013 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by rdef (Post 24511348)
Use a PC and light polish/abrasive. It will come out as long as the spot isn't all the way through the clearcoat.

No offense to the OP but if he isn't exactly sure what he is dealing with then he probably should not be using abrasive polishes on the clear coat. Not knowing what your doing can cause much more damage. Best bet is to get with someone who knows a thing or two about paint correction or take it to a pro.

Street 11-21-2013 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by MVR 155 (Post 24511468)
No offense to the OP but if he isn't exactly sure what he is dealing with then he probably should not be using abrasive polishes on the clear coat. Not knowing what your doing can cause much more damage. Best bet is to get with someone who knows a thing or two about paint correction or take it to a pro.

Got to agree with that. On my 05, had bird doo sitting for a couple days, and when I washed off, there was definitely a spot. Tried hand polishing with Scratch X that did little, finally took my orbital and fine cut and then swirl remover. Funny but a buffer run by someone who knows what they're doing can do wonders that hand polishing can't touch.

Loree-AudiUSAParts 11-21-2013 04:32 PM

I agree that you may not want to use abrasives on the spot because they may further your problem.

I would suggest purchasing the paint pen & clear coat pen set. You may want to use both or just the clear. It's up to your best judgement.

We sell these sets for $14.95, and would need your VIN to pull the correct paint color.

Please visit our website or give us a call. Thanks!

rdef 11-21-2013 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Loree-AudiUSAParts (Post 24511584)
I agree that you may not want to use abrasives on the spot because they may further your problem.

I would suggest purchasing the paint pen & clear coat pen set. You may want to use both or just the clear. It's up to your best judgement.

We sell these sets for $14.95, and would need your VIN to pull the correct paint color.

Please visit our website or give us a call. Thanks!

Paint pen for a dull spot? Come on. The only way to get off a dull spot, or light etching from bird crap or type 2 water stains is HOURS of hand polishing or a few minutes with a PC (not at all the same as an orbital or rotary buffer). With light polish, like Maguiar's swirl remover, and a PC you would be very hard pressed to do the clearcoat any harm.

If you have a dull spot and you take it to a pro, I'll eat my hat if they don't hit it with a PC for a few minutes and be done.