S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Clear Coat Damage

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Clear Coat Damage

I have a circular 1/2" diameter dull spot in the clear coat on the hood of my car. I tried a clay bar and then wax to see if that would do it, but that made no change. What next step would you advise? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:32 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by folgen nie
I have a circular 1/2" diameter dull spot in the clear coat on the hood of my car. I tried a clay bar and then wax to see if that would do it, but that made no change. What next step would you advise? Thanks in advance.
I would take it in. If you have any kind of service manager, they should fix it. BTW, this isn't Niemans Folgen from B6 s4 days is it?
Old 11-20-2013, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks

Hopefully they can do something with it. I used Nie Folgen back in the B6 S4 days, but never Nieman Folgen
Old 11-20-2013, 01:18 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hopefully they can do something with it. I used Nie Folgen back in the B6 S4 days, but never Nieman Folgen
Did you have a friend with a black Avant named Wes?
Old 11-21-2013, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Nope

Wasn't me, what part of the country, I'm in fort Worth, Texas
Old 11-21-2013, 05:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use a PC and light polish/abrasive. It will come out as long as the spot isn't all the way through the clearcoat.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rdef
Use a PC and light polish/abrasive. It will come out as long as the spot isn't all the way through the clearcoat.
No offense to the OP but if he isn't exactly sure what he is dealing with then he probably should not be using abrasive polishes on the clear coat. Not knowing what your doing can cause much more damage. Best bet is to get with someone who knows a thing or two about paint correction or take it to a pro.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MVR 155
No offense to the OP but if he isn't exactly sure what he is dealing with then he probably should not be using abrasive polishes on the clear coat. Not knowing what your doing can cause much more damage. Best bet is to get with someone who knows a thing or two about paint correction or take it to a pro.
Got to agree with that. On my 05, had bird doo sitting for a couple days, and when I washed off, there was definitely a spot. Tried hand polishing with Scratch X that did little, finally took my orbital and fine cut and then swirl remover. Funny but a buffer run by someone who knows what they're doing can do wonders that hand polishing can't touch.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:32 PM
Banned

I agree that you may not want to use abrasives on the spot because they may further your problem.

I would suggest purchasing the paint pen & clear coat pen set. You may want to use both or just the clear. It's up to your best judgement.

We sell these sets for $14.95, and would need your VIN to pull the correct paint color.

Please visit our website or give us a call. Thanks!
Old 11-21-2013, 04:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Loree-AudiUSAParts
I agree that you may not want to use abrasives on the spot because they may further your problem.

I would suggest purchasing the paint pen & clear coat pen set. You may want to use both or just the clear. It's up to your best judgement.

We sell these sets for $14.95, and would need your VIN to pull the correct paint color.

Please visit our website or give us a call. Thanks!
Paint pen for a dull spot? Come on. The only way to get off a dull spot, or light etching from bird crap or type 2 water stains is HOURS of hand polishing or a few minutes with a PC (not at all the same as an orbital or rotary buffer). With light polish, like Maguiar's swirl remover, and a PC you would be very hard pressed to do the clearcoat any harm.

If you have a dull spot and you take it to a pro, I'll eat my hat if they don't hit it with a PC for a few minutes and be done.

Quick Reply: Clear Coat Damage