AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-b8-platform-discussion-134/)
-   -   Cross shop 335is vs S4 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-b8-platform-discussion-134/cross-shop-335is-vs-s4-2806478/)

jcocktail 05-24-2011 05:57 PM

Cross shop 335is vs S4

I'm wondering if anyone has cross shopped the BMW 335is DCT vs Audi S4 7-speed. I drove both today and was impressed with both for different reasons. The Audi seemed faster off the line(butt dyno) and seemed to have immediate torque. The ride was softer and more forgiving as well.
The BMW 335is seemed to have a lot of lag off the line but spooled up great at higher RPM. The BMW's handling was really great with the stock 19's, spot on. The exhuast note was perfect.
Of course this is an Audi board and I'm an old Audi TT guy, so I'm biased towards the S4. I'm just thinking that the S4 would be amazing with lowered suspension(1 inch) and free flow exhaust. Why is it that BMW knows this already and mods their cars out of the box?

nal13 05-24-2011 06:31 PM

Would never consider the 335is. Its an overpriced niche BMW that was produced to move an out dated model at the end of its life cycle. BMW definitely did produce it with the S4 in mind, after the S4 spanked the normal 335 in every review and test. If your going to consider a BMW instead of the S4 consider the M3 sedan. Unlike the 335is it is a better performance car then the S4. Furthermore, if you just add leather as the only option its 54K and the M3 sedan starts at 55.9K. Optioned out they're pretty much the same price. If you go over to e90post, 335is owners will swear that their car is as good as an M3, but IMO there is no comparison.

However, as has been stated by multiple owners on this thread the S4 might not be the fastest sports sedan in the world, but it may be the best. It has great speed and great handling, and it can be used all year round in any climate. Its also comfortable on the track as well as a 300 mile road trip.

That being said, if you don't need the AWD, the M3 will do everything just as good if not better. So if your going to consider a BMW I would strongly advise the M3. Just my 2 cents.

xtr3ma 05-24-2011 06:43 PM

RWD 335is is a better drive. But S4 has 2 more doors and drives 2 more wheels which makes it better all around.

If we don't have winter here, I would definitely look at M3 or AMG.

RedMagma2011S4 05-24-2011 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by jcocktail (Post 24148554)
I'm wondering if anyone has cross shopped the BMW 335is DCT vs Audi S4 7-speed. I drove both today and was impressed with both for different reasons. The Audi seemed faster off the line(butt dyno) and seemed to have immediate torque. The ride was softer and more forgiving as well.
The BMW 335is seemed to have a lot of lag off the line but spooled up great at higher RPM. The BMW's handling was really great with the stock 19's, spot on. The exhuast note was perfect.
Of course this is an Audi board and I'm an old Audi TT guy, so I'm biased towards the S4. I'm just thinking that the S4 would be amazing with lowered suspension(1 inch) and free flow exhaust. Why is it that BMW knows this already and mods their cars out of the box?

I cross shopped the 335is back in October 2010. It is a very nice car as well. Its a close call in all honesty, but here are the discriminating factors that sent me to the S4:

1. For some reason, red seemed to be rare with the BMW. I know, special order get any color I wanted, but with the BMW it almost seemed like a no no to go flashy. I was at the dealer and all I saw was black, grey, silver, and steel blue. I joked that if you are going to spend that kind of money you need to loosen up a bit. This is a silly reason, I know.

2. Quattro! This might have something to do with the chosen stock suspension height. Better in snow.

3. Car reviews that consistently gave a slight edge to the S4.

4. S4 is more exclusive. I have yet to see more that one other B8 S4 one in my area.

5. Interior is light years better, and add red/black Nappa leather or any of the other two tones and you have a car that really pops.

6. Exterior styling - I think Audi hit it out of the park with the B8 body and the slight differences over the A4 are very sweet without going over the top.

7. Last but not least, the supercharged V6 is just an awesome power plant, buttery smooth with low end torque that just keeps piling on till red line. I know a turbo can feel like something special when it kicks in - I used to have a Probe GT turbo. But nothing beats the constant delivery of this roots SC unit.

xtr3ma 05-24-2011 06:59 PM

On pt 4,

S4 Is not exclusive here any more. Looks like all 335 end of lease drivers switched to S4. It is not hard for me to be side by side a B8 S4 3 to 4 times a day, almost as often as e92.

jcocktail 05-24-2011 07:01 PM

TT-->E500-->S4

It seems like every 5 years cars keep getting better. In 1999 I bought an A4 as it was clearly more car for the money than the BMW. In 2002 I bought an Audi TT. I was looking at the BMW 330 but the Audi styling won me out. In 2005 I gave up the TT as I felt like putting my infant soon in the rear seats was bordering on child abuse. I've been missing Quattro ever since.
The Audi comes with modification that can't be made to a beamer. 1. A well thought out and elegant interior. 2. Great seats 3. And Quattro.
Regarding the M3. I wasn't impressed by the test drive. It had lots of power but was lacking in handling, at least in the 4door that I demoed.
I only wish that Audi would resurrect the Rs4 again.

sharding 05-24-2011 07:43 PM

I test drove the 335is convertible whenI was last shopping (and ended up buying the S5 cab). For me, the Audis are better looking outside and the interiors are much nicer. In some ways the 335is might have been nicer to drive, but it was close. Obviously the 3 series is much more common (the 335is isn't terribly common, but to most people it looks like any other 3 series). I like the steering better on the BMW. But I just couldn't really get on board with it. At this point if I were to buy a BMW it would probably be a 7 series....

BaLLZDeePNYC 05-24-2011 07:57 PM

I cross shopped these two exact cars and ended up in a S4....

Optioned out the 335iS was more than a base M3...
RWD and handling in the BMW were great and power curve was decent. My heart was set on the Bimmer and didnt even think the S4 was in my price range. Walked into an Audi dealer just to check it out and say in a black on black with Alcantara B8 S4 and immediately thought about the gorgeous interior. Drove the car and fell in love.. You really cant beat this car. I love the 335iS as well. I chose the S for moe room, higher quality interior, and great snow driving especially here in the NE.

LeoR604 05-24-2011 08:09 PM

I came out of an E46 3er coupe, which I loved, and remember salivating in anticipation of the 335 coupe before it came out. I really WANTED to love it. When I finally saw and sat in one for the first time I was, to put it mildly, underwhelmed. Bland exterior, bland and ugly interior. Just could not bring myself to put my money down. S4 stole my heart (and my money) and I couldn't be happier.

To buy a 3 series now, at the end of its model run, IMO would be a mistake. If BMW comes up with something special, you will be disappointed that you have the "old one" as soon as the new one comes out. Take the S4 now, or at least wait for the new 3 series before deciding.

MD S5 05-25-2011 04:36 AM

I crossed shopped both of them before I bought the S5

I almost got the 335is and probably would of if I didn't find the 09 S5. I used www.truecar.com and was quoted around $1800 under invoice for the 335is. It's a great car, it's similar to a chipped 335 with a performance exhaust, except you have the factory warranty.

Both are nice cars, depends if you want a coupe or sedan
I don't think you can go wrong with either.