AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-b8-platform-discussion-134/)
-   -   Shuffling on jukebox and SD CARD max size (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-b8-platform-discussion-134/shuffling-jukebox-sd-card-max-size-2820583/)

Hard Driver 01-28-2012 12:58 PM

Yes, I have a 32 GB card and had more than 4000 files at one point. What starts happending is that you go in a folder and it says there are no playable files in the folder. If you pop the card out and back in and go in that folder, then it will play the files, but another folder will then start saying there are no playable files in the folder.

Deleted files until I got to 3900 and something files and the problem went away.

iworms 01-28-2012 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by seablues4 (Post 24252315)
I've found that I can greatly reduce the frequency of skipped songs if I import them to the SD card as .mp3 files rather than the default .aac that I use on my computer. A bit of pain as it's a 2 step process to xfer new songs now, but it seems to work well.

I was puzzled by the inability to play .aac files (unencrypted) when I first bought my S4, but found in the manual that AAC files have to be contained in .m4a format. So instead of converting your .aac to .mp3 (which is lossy), you can simply wrap it in the .m4a container (which is lossless and much faster as data is copied intact and some headers added).

I use a command-line tool "ffmpeg" to do this, you can PM for details. I'm sure there are more friendly programs out there.

xradman 01-28-2012 05:01 PM

I don't know if it's the same as on my 2011 A8, but at least on that version of MMI, max file limit on the Jukebox is 3000 files. SD card may be higher.

WoodyV 02-01-2012 08:04 PM

Does anyone else have mp3s that cut off halfway through the song? The same files play just fine on my PC or iphone (imports fine).

It doesn't happen often but it is pretty annoying. The only way to fix it is to re-encode/rip the mp3 with different settings or a different encoder. It seems like something is broken in the MMI's playback code.

UmIsThisThingOn 02-01-2012 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Stereodude (Post 24252232)
I wonder if the 2013 will be any different...

What file formats can it play? FLAC, MP3, AAC, WMA, etc?

We could ask the A6/A7/A8 guys since they have the newer MMI version.
I'm too lazy to go do it myself.

lugnuts4 02-19-2015 06:55 AM

To shuffle in a folder on the SD card. Turn on repeat, then turn on mix. It will only shuffle in the folder you are in.

mwuagi 02-26-2015 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Stereodude (Post 24251773)
Reportedly 32gig cards will work, but there is a limit on how many files the system can handle. Based on what I read it's 4000 files.

Actually, I have a 128GB card in mine, with 16,366 songs. Here's the secret:

You have to format the SD card to FAT32 (You will probably have to download an aftermarket program like FAT32Formatter), and you also have to make sure all of your songs are in separate folders (maybe the album folders under a larger Artist folder). Voila'! You can probably store your entire music library in your car.

Bobby Kinstle 02-26-2015 08:45 PM

Here's another secret, if you can find a mac, they can format very large Fat32 filesystems.