AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-b9-platform-discussion-214/)
-   -   First oil change ... ? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-b9-platform-discussion-214/first-oil-change-2935878/)

Pauls40 11-07-2017 09:24 AM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...efc7116911.jpgFrom Europaparts

Pauls40 11-07-2017 10:34 AM

Appears to me the "jolly green giant" in the Castrol Edge Professional "OE" is missing in the 9-18-2017 2018 Audi Maintenance Schedule. Since the legal mumbo jumbo at the
end of the document prohibits me from copying it here. I have provided the link. http://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/a...e_9-7-2017.pdf Also my Owners Manual (05/2017) on page 317 states to use the oil that is listed on the sticker located front of the engine compartment.

markcincinnati 11-07-2017 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Pauls40 (Post 25064125)
Appears to me the "jolly green giant" in the Castrol Edge Professional "OE" is missing in the 9-18-2017 2018 Audi Maintenance Schedule. Since the legal mumbo jumbo at the
end of the document prohibits me from copying it here. I have provided the link. http://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/a...e_9-7-2017.pdf Also my Owners Manual (05/2017) on page 317 states to use the oil that is listed on the sticker located front of the engine compartment.

I would, without hesitation, use the oil depicted here -- the 508 is the clue. Or the key.

If you can buy and change the oil at the above discussed pricing and it meets your circumstances, needs, and the requirements as stated -- I would think there would be no issue whatsoever that would or could jeopardize your warranty should it ever come to that.

The question, as yet uncommented upon or answered, is how much does the dealer (yours) charge for an in-between oil change? If it nets out to $100, the source still seems too much. On the other hand, if your dealer charges $150, well, maybe that's the pain point that makes you say, "uncle" (I'll do it myself).

I am assuming Audi Care, BTW. If you change your oil every 10,000, why bother with the aftermarket (with AC, of course). If, on the other hand, you're like my wife and me (every 5K), a $99 oil change isn't so bad considering this oil must be made of part liquid gold (or liquid titanium).

mplsbrian 11-08-2017 08:04 AM

I called my dealer and they charge $126 for an '18 S4 oil change, and offer free top-offs. Plus you can murder the snack bar while ogling an optioned-to-the-brim R8, RS7, etc while you wait as mine is an Audi Sport dealer that always has something cool on the show floor.

Knowing that, I retract my earlier statement that ~$99 for the DIY kit is a good price. Could still be worth it if you live hours from a dealer, though.

markcincinnati 11-08-2017 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by mplsbrian (Post 25064575)
I called my dealer and they charge $126 for an '18 S4 oil change, and offer free top-offs. Plus you can murder the snack bar while ogling an optioned-to-the-brim R8, RS7, etc while you wait as mine is an Audi Sport dealer that always has something cool on the show floor.

Knowing that, I retract my earlier statement that ~$99 for the DIY kit is a good price. Could still be worth it if you live hours from a dealer, though.

Are you a subscriber to Audi Care?

Will they offer you:

A loaner car if your schedule won't permit you to wait?
Wash and vacuum?
- Re-wash and vacuum ANY time?
Multi-point check (and report), including topping off fluids at no cost?
Nitrogen fill of all tires to your specs (anytime)?
An "Audi Care" customer "consideration" (I mentioned my bill is discounted 15%)?

and

No dirty laundry? No dirty hands, shoes, face, hair, etc.?
If you DIY, where do you dispose of the used oil -- do you have to take it somewhere, or do you just put it on a pile of leaves, add some gasoline and light it (and stand back)?

mplsbrian 11-08-2017 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by markcincinnati (Post 25064582)
or do you just put it on a pile of leaves, add some gasoline and light it (and stand back)?

Hey, we gotta heat the house somehow...

nicotino15 11-08-2017 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by markcincinnati (Post 25064582)
Are you a subscriber to Audi Care?

Will they offer you:

A loaner car if your schedule won't permit you to wait?
Wash and vacuum?
- Re-wash and vacuum ANY time?
Multi-point check (and report), including topping off fluids at no cost?
Nitrogen fill of all tires to your specs (anytime)?
An "Audi Care" customer "consideration" (I mentioned my bill is discounted 15%)?

and

No dirty laundry? No dirty hands, shoes, face, hair, etc.?
If you DIY, where do you dispose of the used oil -- do you have to take it somewhere, or do you just put it on a pile of leaves, add some gasoline and light it (and stand back)?

Mark - you clearly value those services, but from my experience you couldn't pay me to take advantage of them:
  • Wash and vacuum will be assuredly half-assed, in fact thanks to the dealer "freebie" washes my car is very nicely micro-scratched with swirls over the entire body, I spent 10 hours 2 weekends ago polishing them off the front-end before I had PPF installed, so I'll go ahead and pass on that one. My dealer actually offers lifetime free washes as long as I have the car... wonder how much they spend on that service (hint: not crap, which is why it comes out like garbage every time)
  • Multi-point check - fair point, I'm sure that the kid doing the inspection does a great job being that it is a fairly simple process, not foolproof thought, and I believe I read your thread about the technician putting in the wrong oil for the car... can't wait for that "talk"
  • Nitrogen tire fill - I can get this at costco for free if I really wanted, to me it's not worth the effort over and above my own personal air compressor which is something like ~80 percent nitrogen. The bonus is that I always fill my tires up to the proper pressure, and not the 45 psi all around when I got the car.

I can also tell you value the freebie exposure and potential for identifying issues, and I'm sure occasionally it works great and you miraculously discover some impending issue. Here's my perspective - My sales rep gave me a tour of the brand new Audi sport dealership that just opened in my area, and I got a nice tour of the incredibly impressive garage, I mean it was state of the art amazing with tools and equipment I've never seen. Unfortunately, I quickly realized it was full of mostly kids, or the types that I'd honestly prefer not to touch my car. After the tour, when I went through financing, the rep was telling me about how difficult it was to keep quality audi technicians and that the technicians have such a high turnover rate he guess it to average 1 or 2 years on average. I asked how many audi master guild technicians there were, and he couldn't say. If I had to guess it's not more than 1 or 2, and if I had to go out on a limb, I would say they're probably not working on your oil change and multi-point inspection. All this to say, that while I did get Audicare, it wasn't for the impeccable dealer service, but more for the potential secondary buyer of my car as "proof" that I took care of it.

I wish it was different. I wish the dealer outsourced a real detailing outfit, and I wish they hired and paid technicians that want to stay and have extensive automotive background and Audi certification, and I wish they were always focused on looking out for potential problems, but I can't help but consider anyone naive enough to believe the dealer would do any of that on a regular, trustworthy basis.

markcincinnati 11-08-2017 05:32 PM

My dealer has "porters" who wash and vacuum the cars in for service. You are correct, sometimes the washes aren't great. Maybe I have been micro-scratched -- I have not seen anything that I would spend any effort or money (so far) to rectify. I use a detail shop in Cincinnati called "Auto Haus" which you may be able to figure out is where "all the high-end" German cars end up for detailing. I have my car treated to a detail one time per year. I may be sent straight to hell for this: The rest of the time I use one of two car washing companies. You pull in, they vacuum, run the car through a tunnel of spinning "cloths" and sprayers. Then the car's windows, wheels and tires are hand dried, usually, streak free. I often choose the car wash that forbids tipping -- seems that the workers spend the appropriate amount of time to assure a good job.

Insofar as the dealer's porters are concerned -- I've sent my car back for a re-wash when the job was clearly crap. Only have had to do this once. I probably break several rules, but if I get in my car after an oil change or other service and the car is particularly well washed, I ask "who did this?" Then I track the guy down and give him $5 or $10 bucks. Most people must not do this, so my impression is they aim to please.

Also, you are correct, the wrong oil was put in my car -- it was sucked out and a new filter was put on along with the proper oil. Between my wife and me, we've had three oil changes -- both of hers were perfect the first time. I'm at perhaps 7,500 miles meaning I will be back for the next change at 10,000.

Indeed, Nic (hopefully that's a good name guess on my part), I would say your points are very well taken -- i.e., generally, I agree with you. The micro scratch issue excluded, of course.

Yes, free Nitrogen tire fill at Costco -- I have my air checked twice monthly at Costco in fact. My point (in this thread) was in the context of a discussion that suggested that buying $99 worth of oil, etc., was a "good deal." My contention is that "for the same" or a tiny bit more, I get more -- and I don't have to do the work, get dirty and take my time. I used to change my oil -- I'm in my 6th decade of life. My time is -- to me -- more valuable spent doing almost anything else than changing my oil, especially considering the almost total lack of "benefit" or value in doing so, at an acquisition cost of $99 for an oil change kit.

On the wall at my dealer, there is a hall with "certificates" of completion -- "mastery" -- of certain components. My dealer does spend money on education -- for all I know it is mandated by Audi, but mandated or voluntary, the # of certificates is impressive. I've not seen such level of "certifications" anywhere else except one of our two BMW dealers here in Cincinnati and the Lexus dealer. Again, though, you may well be right, the staff may be replete with "kids" with very little time on the job. It doesn't "feel" that way though.

And, frankly, even if the damn place is full of 12-year olds, the point of this discussion was to suggest somewhat of a contrarian point of view by (politely and respectfully -- yet factually) that the DIY approach didn't make sense.

My dealer does outsource detailing to the Auto Haus -- in fact, they often suggest I just go directly to them to avoid their markup. Once again, I prefer -- generally speaking -- to pay the markup because I get a "free" loaner if I contract the work through the dealer (usually an A6 2.0T). If I go to the Auto Haus directly, I pay less, but I have to call Enterprise rental to come and pick me up since the detailing is an all-day sucker. So, I gladly pay a bit more to the dealer to avoid the hassle (and expense) of renting transportation for the day.

The service manager, service writer and "shop guru" have been with my dealer for at least a decade, maybe two. I don't know the technicians personally -- but I do see the same faces repeatedly, so maybe their technicians have a somewhat lower turnover than your dealer must.

Generally speaking, I'd say we're overwhelmingly in violent agreement.