AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-rs4-b5-platform-discussion-6/)
-   -   Any Thoughts! Stoptech or Porsche brakes for a B5 S4?? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-rs4-b5-platform-discussion-6/any-thoughts-stoptech-porsche-brakes-b5-s4-1630699/)

gordongekkos4 06-12-2008 06:27 PM

Re: doh. thanks for clearing that up.

I think what Jason meant by stoptech using an old design was with regards to the pad....they probably use a similar size to old porsche brakes so as to make it easy to find an assortment of pad choices. Right??

Cypher2k 06-12-2008 06:59 PM

APracing ftw

Jason @ Streetwerke 06-12-2008 07:11 PM

The PAD profile, not the caliper. The calipers are a similar to Brembo F50 design but

with some fundamental changes (stiffening bridge, different method of pad retention, etc.). StopTech calipers are not Porsche/Brembo and never have been. They're intellectual property unique to StopTech. The only real congruency to Porsche/Brembo calipers would be the fact they use a pad profile (backing plate shape) that was once used by Brembo in some older Porsche cars (ala 928 S4). That practice ensured various pad compounds would be available to the ST40 caliper upon initial product release.

Jason @ Streetwerke 06-12-2008 07:12 PM

Yes, Slave IV selectively quoted me...leaving out the part about the pads.

Talk about an "out of context" quote! =)

HdiaS4 06-12-2008 08:31 PM

do your research, might want to spend a little more now and have a better product

I have stoptech st40 332mm kit and i'm not pleased with the product nor the costumer service from them.
Just to let you know stop tech told me none of their products have warranty. Only if the product fails right on the install. Not good to know since brakes are the number one safety device in your car.
Stop tech products have a range of issues, from cracking rotor hats, lines and rotors.
I just replaced lines and rotor hats in 2 differnt cars and they all cracked.

Called and talked to Pat at stoptech they pretty much said you are SOL.

Stoptech is a cheap copy of the Porsche brakes.

Skydive@AI 06-12-2008 09:03 PM

Really? Wow...

Such was not the case when Bob owned StopTech. Perhaps things have changed regarding customer service.

...and no. As Jason alluded to above, StopTech is not a copy of anything, and especially not Brembo as used on Porsches.

I had ST-40s on my sedan, but chose Alcon 4 Pots for the Avant. Both are great brakes. I simply prefer the pedal modulation of the Alcons.

TwentyValveB5+S4 06-12-2008 09:05 PM

odd. I've had two cars now with StopTechs, both driven hard and never had a problem

with either one. When I had to contact stoptech for a replacement caliper (one got lost in the mail, long story), the service was great.

lovethepow 06-12-2008 09:52 PM

Have had 2 sets of 993 tt on a UrS4 and B5 and they have both been great. Stop tech' sare also

good, but I know of a few people that have had issues, while I know of no one with issues using the Porshe kit. Bottom line, if an OEM product performs as well as an aftermarket one, for around the same $, pretty easy choice

MNblackS4 06-13-2008 12:48 AM

2nd, my hats cracked and as others have found out I was told the hats are wear items

The only thing that gets me is that I never hear of other brands of brake kits that have cracking hats, only Stoptech. By the time I replaced the hats and rotors I could have gotten a Brembo kit that would have lasted a little longer.

Besides that rant, the Stoptechs have been great at the track and now that I have new hats and rotors the brakes are in tiptop shape.

We'll see how the hats last now.

Marin S4 06-13-2008 02:11 AM

OT.....Hey give me a ring sometime. You still have the #?