AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-rs4-b5-platform-discussion-6/)
-   -   Reliability of Triptronic vs Reliability of Manual (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-rs4-b5-platform-discussion-6/reliability-triptronic-vs-reliability-manual-2753527/)

karthick 06-03-2009 12:10 PM

Reliability of Triptronic vs Reliability of Manual

Guys,
I did search and read about the various Manual Vs Auto Threads. Somehow there isn't much material addressing the reliability of the TripTronic transmission vs the Manual Transmission when buying a used car so I thought I would post on here.

There are quite a few 100k+ mile B5 S4s on sale nowadays and I was wondering if someone shopping for a used S4 would have a reason to consider a manual transmission instead of a triptronic or vice-versa. From my reading, here is what I found.

Triptronic - Failure mode can be two components : Transmission/Torque converter.
Cons
1. Higher rebuild or replacement cost. ~4k
2. Not as capable as the manual in handling a modded engine (350-400hp)

Pros
1. Potentially has lead an easier life than a car with a manual trans.
2. Perhaps better for a commuter road car.

Manual Transmission - Failure mode can be two components : Clutch/Transmission.

Cons
1. Potentially Higher hoonage wear and tear. (Manual cars are driven harder)
2. Perhaps better for a track oriented car.

Pros
1. Potentially lower replacement cost for clutch or gear box.
2. Capable of handling higher power limits.

Is there anything more that folks can think off? Any comments would be helpful.

Thanks

complacentsee 06-03-2009 12:30 PM

I think used transmissions go for 1-1.5k for both these days.

RolledMySTi 06-03-2009 12:54 PM

If you want to go fast and enjoy driving get a manual. If you have a wet hole in your crotch get a chicktronic.

donromani 06-03-2009 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by RolledMySTi (Post 23799090)
If you want to go fast and enjoy driving get a manual. If you have a wet hole in your crotch get a chicktronic.

Oh snap!

complacentsee 06-03-2009 01:24 PM

Well don, looks like you picked up the wrong one after all...

donromani 06-03-2009 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by complacentsee (Post 23799121)
Well don, looks like you picked up the wrong one after all...

Of course I did. I mean, with my stupid dick head bird brain I can't be expect to make good decisions.

RolledMySTi 06-03-2009 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by donromani (Post 23799112)
Oh snap!

Making fun of chicktronics is a hobby of mine. Plus you, complacentsee and I seem to be the only people on this forum so I had to take some shots :)

karthick 06-03-2009 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by complacentsee (Post 23799074)
I think used transmissions go for 1-1.5k for both these days.

If replacing a busted auto trans. Is upgrading it at the same time an option? I was thinking of the six-speed auto trans in the newer A4s or S4s. Obviously the TCM will have to be swapped as well. Wondering if that mod has been done by anyone on here...

donromani 06-03-2009 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by RolledMySTi (Post 23799162)
Making fun of chicktronics is a hobby of mine. Plus you, complacentsee and I seem to be the only people on this forum so I had to take some shots :)

Besides, someone has to feed the trolls, although they don't bite that much around here.

...too bad Comp has the TIP, but I guess he needs both hands free to apply his make-up on the morning drive to work. :D

complacentsee 06-03-2009 03:33 PM

Naw, I need it free to masturbate passionatly while on my way to work. Es ist wunderbar!