AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   SoCal Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/socal-discussion-37/)
-   -   For those who want to know: 100 Octane at the 76 station of La Paz in MV (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/socal-discussion-37/those-who-want-know-100-octane-76-station-la-paz-mv-2396760/)

tusca 06-25-2005 07:25 PM

For those who want to know: 100 Octane at the 76 station of La Paz in MV

I have been searching all over for 100 octane and someone mentioned that this place may have it. Checked it out today and it does. Four!! pumps carry 100 octane.

kujo 06-25-2005 07:28 PM

I have 2 " Alliance " stations near me...

That pump out Trick 101 !!!!!!

too bad my NA V8 doesn't really get much more power, for the price.....

ahhhhh, OCTANE !! ;-)

Skydive@AI 06-25-2005 11:29 PM

Three stations...

There are three stations near me...

1) Alliance (Trick/Sunoco 101 from the Pump) Vanowen and Desoto in Canoga Park.

2) 76 (VP Blue 100 from Pails) Ventura Blvd. and Zelzah-ish.

3) 76 (Unocal 100 from the Pump) 101 Freeway at the Chesebro exit.

AggregatVier 06-26-2005 08:25 AM

But what's the $/gallon? Agoura is like $4.50 while Zelzah was like $6.50 and...

...Alliance?

I did note that 76 took down the page showing where the 100 stations were.

Skydive@AI 06-26-2005 12:28 PM

In my experience, the Alliance Trick/Sunoco 101 is consistanly less expensive than the others.

Fruthermore, the Sunoco formulations are very well recieved in the parts of the country where Sunoco is a staple. (In California, Sunoco had the Texaco brand.) Sunoco doesn't have a presence in the west, really... so their California formulations are sold at "Trick". It's good stuff, though the VP is really nice.

The Texaco brand was aquired by Chevron a couple of years ago, and many of the Texaco dealers went independent at that time, which is why most of the "Alliance" stations still carry Trick.

Youreviltwin 06-26-2005 08:22 PM

you need revo for that Kurt. Is it still 4.50 gal? the 76 in my area

wants 7.00

kujo 06-26-2005 08:43 PM

Has anyone dyno'd 100 Revo yet ?

What kind of numbers does it make ?

It's about 4.50 a gallon for Trick.
Haven't done it, but looked into it.

I'll probably do the Revo flash in a few weeks.
David's the local hook up for that, right ?

kj

kujo 06-26-2005 09:30 PM

APR or GIAC aren't making any power gains on 91 though, for the B6 S4

Skydive@AI 06-27-2005 07:27 AM

...exactly right, Kurt. Does it occur to you that...

...the reason that two of the most respected tuners, with the longest history of making things that actually work with proven, long-term reliability, and track records of success over many years, aren't making considerable power gains on 91 octane is that it isn't safe to do so, in terms of the risk vs. reward equation?

If I were to guess, I'd say that both tuners know how to make the power that Revo seems to be making from the 91/B6 combination. (Consider the genesis of Revo, and some of the things that their staff have said, on record, about warranty and reliability.) However, it's quite likely that both Garret and APR have decided that the potential gains are not worth the potential damages, on the mass market.

Yes. One tuner is known to be one of the more conservative tuners of the bunch. However, the other is probably somewhat closer to the other end of the spectrum.

While I haven't seen any data collected from a Revo/Sarabi B6 S4, (nor any of the normally aspirated cars), I have culled through substantial data pulled from a variety of B5 and B6 turbos. I would describe what I saw, as what is, in my opinion, quite wreckless.

Are a few horsepower, (in relative terms), really worth dumping the business end of your warranty, and working your motor that close to the edge? (This is especially true if you're concerned about fifty cents or a dollar's difference in the price of the gas you use, isn't it?) Penny wise? Pound foolish?

Now... if I were in "your boat" I might consider installing something like an Aquamist water injection system, and running safer 93 or 100 octane code safely, using pump 91. Of course, success with this type of arrangement will require diligent data collection, analysis, and research... but it's probably a better solution in the long run.

Just my thoughts.

-Michael.

kujo 06-27-2005 09:24 AM

I hear what you're saying Mike.

that is why I have NOT flashed with anything as of yet.

My thinking was the same.

At this point, I'm just enjoying the new ride.
Other mods will get done first, that will help with set up.
(light wheels/tires, brakes,sways, suspension,etc..)

Once I get the Hyperflow back on, GIAC says they make 24 hp with the flash AND a CAI... but we'll see.....

Just want to get her on the track first... ;-)