AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   TT (Mk1) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-mk1-discussion-9/)
-   -   Is VW/Audi making a mistake by not providing enough differentiation between the brands?... (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-mk1-discussion-9/vw-audi-making-mistake-not-providing-enough-differentiation-between-brands-1865243/)

EighTT 06-10-2003 05:37 PM

Is VW/Audi making a mistake by not providing enough differentiation between the brands?...

As you may know, the Audi TT is built on a VW Golf platform. No, the TT is not a Golf, but there are a number of shared parts.

Currently, both Audi and VW are offering new models with a lot of similarities under the sheet metal. For example, the Golf R32 has a beefed up suspension, as does the TT. The R32 uses a new version or the venerable VR6 engine, as does the TT. The R32 will offer a new DSG transmission just as the TT will. There's a new exhaust on the R32 which is similar or identical to that of the TT.

I was just looking at a UK order sheet for the VW R32. I'm seeing colors available such as Moro Blue, Goodwood Green, Brilliant Red and Dolomite Gray Pearl Effect. (Okay, so VW calls it "gray" and Audi spells it "grey"). Do these names sound familiar? They should, because they are the exact same colors offered on the TTs!

When one spends $40,000-$50,000 or more for most of the Audi line, they want something substantially more upscale than a VW. Former VW CEO Piech wanted to position his VWs head to head with Mercedes. He was wrong, in my view. Don't believe me? Keep an eye on Phaeton sales trends. Audi is your upscale line. Beat Mercedes with Audis and maintain VW's position as "the people's car".

I've driven a few very inexpensive VW loaner cars recently and I am seeing some very familiar parts. Sure, sharing parts saves VW and Audi money, but I am really looking for more separation between the brands. When I drive a Jetta or Passat, I don't want to feel like I'm in my Audi. I should not be experiencing a sense of Deja Vu when I'm cruising in a $16,000 VW Golf.

Not that there is anything wrong with VWs, but I don't believe VWs should be offered in the same colors. Modify that Dolomite Gray a touch and give it a name exclusive to VW. That couldn't be too tough or expensive.

When I drive a Mercedes, I don't think "Chrysler" (or vice-versa). It seems to me that there is too much similarity between Audi and VW these days and I think that it's time to provide more differentiation.

Surprisingly, it seems like some areas which are different, differ in favor of the cheaper VW. Why give cheaper R32s nice aluminum shift paddles and give TTs plastic shifters? Why offer standard H&R/Bilstein suspension on the R32 and not on the TT? Why offer a transmission choice on the R32 and not on the TT?

Does anyone else feel this way?

S4iscool 06-10-2003 05:40 PM

100% agreed. Thats why my next car will be back to BMW or Merc.

unless the next gen TT is amazing...with some REAL power.

John P. (TT 225) 06-10-2003 05:46 PM

But if you go BMW you'll have to drive a Bangled mess.

ITALSKIER 06-10-2003 05:54 PM

yes.....the TT should be a SPORTS CAR with the equivilant stats to back it up.for the $$$

S4iscool 06-10-2003 06:01 PM

true. the 328i was good, until I saw more on the st than civics.

I dont forsee bangle being around in 2-3 years.

JohnLZ7W 06-10-2003 06:02 PM

It wouldn't be so bad (for us) if it was parts sharing with Lamborghini

mtbscoTT 06-10-2003 06:58 PM

Certainly confusing to the consumer.

I am a longtime VW buff, having owned 5 since 1974, and also two TT's. I think most VW fans are also Audi fans but the lines are definitely blurred these days. I owned a 1998 Passat, back then for $22K you could have the 1.8T motor, nice interior, all creature comforts, and a larger backseat than an A4 that sold for thousands more. The quattro of the Audi was one of its defining features but then that became available on Passats as well although only on the top of the line GLX. I have a deposit for a R32, every enthusiast ought to know by now that it is VERY similar under the skin to the 3.2TT for some $13K less. Style will always be the TT's calling card as well as most other Audis but I find the look of the R32 pretty cool as well. I can only imagine what non VAG fans are thinking.

|everso!| 06-10-2003 08:07 PM

Volkswagen is to Audi as Kindergarten is to Law School :)))

RkT^2 06-10-2003 08:14 PM

LOL...completely agree

RkT^2 06-10-2003 08:15 PM

I Feel the Same Way...

Seems to me Audi is getting the short end of the deal.

EighTT 06-10-2003 08:27 PM

Respectfully, I don't think that I buy that analogy. They are much closer than that.

chillzatl 06-10-2003 08:43 PM

I've never once felt I was in a VW >>

and have only had such a thing suggested to me by friends who own other makes taking jabs at me. Vw's don't drive like Audi's and they don't feel like Audi's. My Gf has a newer VW and it is unmistakabley NOT an Audi. The same holds true for a GTI and a Jetta (newer VW's that i've driven). In fact, very few people I know who aren't "car people" seem to even know that Audi and Vw are related as closely as they are.

With that said, I do feel that Audi needs to have some parts that are designed from the ground up for their cars. Primarily the Chassis. I personally feel that this jack of all trades chassis stuff is cheap. Sure it saves money on the cars and is probably what made the TT affordable for me. But deep down I know the car could be so much better than it is if it were rolling on a platform that was designed for it and not on a platform that was altered to fit.

Otherwise I have no problem with it. As long as they can make the cars handle and perform like a high end car I don't mind much.

|everso!| 06-10-2003 09:22 PM

lol. i know sir,i was trying to cause a riot :)

EighTT 06-10-2003 09:40 PM

Riot? There's barely a pulse around here!

JohnLZ7W 06-10-2003 09:51 PM

I think in the future there will be less chassis sharing between VW and Audi.

People seem to put the blame on VW for this positioning. It could just be that Audi is being slow to differentiate itself. The last 5-10 years have been a huge regrowth for Audi in the US since the unintended acceleration debacle of the 80s. Now that they've gained market share everywhere and are enjoying better profits they should be able to roll that into new model lines. The new A8 is winning car comparisons against the new 7-series. The new S4 is looking to be very competitive with the M3. The new A6 is just around the corner and along with it the Pikes Peak and Nuvolari look to be going into production. As long as they don't screw up the next TT they should be doing pretty good :)

|everso!| 06-10-2003 10:00 PM

well, the corpses could get up and dance at least!

coasTTal 06-11-2003 03:11 AM

I own both VW's and the TT . My take on this............

In late 1998 I was in the market to buy 2 new cars. I had been at the local Audi dealer most of a Saturday morning and really like the A6, but was grimacing at the $50K sticker. As I was leaving I met another customer coming in the door and he asked if I had seen how the new Passats resembled the Audis. I said those old boxy looking things, meaning the older Passats. I obviously had not seen the new Passats. Well, after seeing the new Passats I was amazed at how similar the Audi and VW were. I ended up buying 2 1999 Passats, sedan and wagon, and they have been the best cars, excepting the TT, that I have ever owned. The Audis do have nicer seats and interiors, but the VW's are remarkably similar.

I would say the line between Audi and VW is closer to GMC and GM, and seems to get closer all the time. The R32 is the perfect example.

I think there has to be something special and different coming for the TT that we are not aware of.

The Mystro S4 06-11-2003 05:36 AM

I dont like VW's.But I have always loved Audis.They may share some parts but thats as far as it goes

The Mystro S4 06-11-2003 05:38 AM

At least its better than Chrysler and M-Benz.

Stinky J. Sock 06-11-2003 05:54 AM

Agree for the most part. Don't understand the Phaeton. Also, does Porsche need the Cayenne?

You now have the Porsche Cayenne and it's sister, the VW Toureg. I always thought it would make more sense to put more effort into getting the Audi Pikes Peak out.

Besides the Phaeton, you can also look at the lackluster sales of the Passat W8. People have a hard time spending that much money on a VW. They rather spend that type of money on an Audi, which is considered a luxury brand.

no cell 06-11-2003 07:39 AM

Porsche probably does need the cayenne. since "suv's".....

are what sell these days, why not jump on the bandwagon (very late though), generate cash flow and put the money back into developing and selling sports cars? "Trucks" are very profitable for the manufacturers and porsche can't afford to let all potential sales go to mercedes, land rover or even vw for that matter.

mtbscoTT 06-11-2003 08:14 AM

actually...

The chairman of Porsche said sometime ago that they needed something with greater sales potential than their sports cars to stay independent. A SUV was the logical choice. Despite what Porsche purists might think, the Cayenne seems to be selling pretty well, at least here in Houston. My friend at the dealer says they have already sold around 80 of them including 10 to one person for resale in China.

Silver Stealth 06-11-2003 09:31 AM

Agree. Rumor is B6 Passat will not share A4's 8E chassis.