TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Is VW/Audi making a mistake by not providing enough differentiation between the brands?...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 05:37 PM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is VW/Audi making a mistake by not providing enough differentiation between the brands?...

As you may know, the Audi TT is built on a VW Golf platform. No, the TT is not a Golf, but there are a number of shared parts.

Currently, both Audi and VW are offering new models with a lot of similarities under the sheet metal. For example, the Golf R32 has a beefed up suspension, as does the TT. The R32 uses a new version or the venerable VR6 engine, as does the TT. The R32 will offer a new DSG transmission just as the TT will. There's a new exhaust on the R32 which is similar or identical to that of the TT.

I was just looking at a UK order sheet for the VW R32. I'm seeing colors available such as Moro Blue, Goodwood Green, Brilliant Red and Dolomite Gray Pearl Effect. (Okay, so VW calls it "gray" and Audi spells it "grey"). Do these names sound familiar? They should, because they are the exact same colors offered on the TTs!

When one spends $40,000-$50,000 or more for most of the Audi line, they want something substantially more upscale than a VW. Former VW CEO Piech wanted to position his VWs head to head with Mercedes. He was wrong, in my view. Don't believe me? Keep an eye on Phaeton sales trends. Audi is your upscale line. Beat Mercedes with Audis and maintain VW's position as "the people's car".

I've driven a few very inexpensive VW loaner cars recently and I am seeing some very familiar parts. Sure, sharing parts saves VW and Audi money, but I am really looking for more separation between the brands. When I drive a Jetta or Passat, I don't want to feel like I'm in my Audi. I should not be experiencing a sense of Deja Vu when I'm cruising in a $16,000 VW Golf.

Not that there is anything wrong with VWs, but I don't believe VWs should be offered in the same colors. Modify that Dolomite Gray a touch and give it a name exclusive to VW. That couldn't be too tough or expensive.

When I drive a Mercedes, I don't think "Chrysler" (or vice-versa). It seems to me that there is too much similarity between Audi and VW these days and I think that it's time to provide more differentiation.

Surprisingly, it seems like some areas which are different, differ in favor of the cheaper VW. Why give cheaper R32s nice aluminum shift paddles and give TTs plastic shifters? Why offer standard H&R/Bilstein suspension on the R32 and not on the TT? Why offer a transmission choice on the R32 and not on the TT?

Does anyone else feel this way?
Old 06-10-2003, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 100% agreed. Thats why my next car will be back to BMW or Merc.

unless the next gen TT is amazing...with some REAL power.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

But if you go BMW you'll have to drive a Bangled mess.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

yes.....the TT should be a SPORTS CAR with the equivilant stats to back it up.for the $$$
Old 06-10-2003, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default true. the 328i was good, until I saw more on the st than civics.

I dont forsee bangle being around in 2-3 years.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It wouldn't be so bad (for us) if it was parts sharing with Lamborghini
Old 06-10-2003, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Certainly confusing to the consumer.

I am a longtime VW buff, having owned 5 since 1974, and also two TT's. I think most VW fans are also Audi fans but the lines are definitely blurred these days. I owned a 1998 Passat, back then for $22K you could have the 1.8T motor, nice interior, all creature comforts, and a larger backseat than an A4 that sold for thousands more. The quattro of the Audi was one of its defining features but then that became available on Passats as well although only on the top of the line GLX. I have a deposit for a R32, every enthusiast ought to know by now that it is VERY similar under the skin to the 3.2TT for some $13K less. Style will always be the TT's calling card as well as most other Audis but I find the look of the R32 pretty cool as well. I can only imagine what non VAG fans are thinking.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Volkswagen is to Audi as Kindergarten is to Law School ))
Old 06-10-2003, 08:14 PM

LOL...completely agree
Old 06-10-2003, 08:15 PM

Default I Feel the Same Way...

Seems to me Audi is getting the short end of the deal.

Quick Reply: Is VW/Audi making a mistake by not providing enough differentiation between the brands?...