AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c8-platform-discussion-229/)
-   -   2019 A6 Arrival? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c8-platform-discussion-229/2019-a6-arrival-2960191/)

TheTurtleBoy 10-16-2018 08:36 AM

[QUOTE=Stillrestless;25222379]

Originally Posted by TheTurtleBoy (Post 25222365)
Just got an email from Audi. Said it is only a matter of days before the 4 new models are at dealers. Hopefully it will be days and not months. ;)

I got the same email from a dealer. I hope the timing of the email is significant and not just part of a plan developed months ago. Since the new A6 commercials have been running for over one week, any significant delays in availability would reduce the effectiveness of the marketing effort, indicating disconnect between the planned introduction and events on the ground.

Unfortunately it looks like this was just a scheduled email ad has no significance whatsoever, other than showing things seem to be behind schedule. I talked to the local dealership yesterday and they said they are being told that the A8s and Q8s should come in by early November and pending certification the A6s and A7s will be there by the end of December. Was hoping that the email meant things were moving along but I guess not.

ven7782 10-16-2018 08:39 AM

End of Dec, WTF? I really wanted to test drive the new A6 before taking the plunge. Seems like it is going to be only next year.

TheTurtleBoy 10-16-2018 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by ven7782 (Post 25224530)
End of Dec, WTF? I really wanted to test drive the new A6 before taking the plunge. Seems like it is going to be only next year.

That is what SCarGuy has been saying also but when I got the email I was hoping the timeline got moved up, does not appear to be the case.

Stillrestless 10-16-2018 11:55 PM

[QUOTE=TheTurtleBoy;25224527]

Originally Posted by Stillrestless (Post 25222379)

Unfortunately it looks like this was just a scheduled email ad has no significance whatsoever, other than showing things seem to be behind schedule. I talked to the local dealership yesterday and they said they are being told that the A8s and Q8s should come in by early November and pending certification the A6s and A7s will be there by the end of December. Was hoping that the email meant things were moving along but I guess not.

That’s disappointing, but not that surprising. That means some cars will sit at the port for at least 2 months. I wonder if the shipments to the U.S. will stop/slow until the certification issue is resolved. This delay may mean I can’t wait for the new A6.

Doug2.7 10-17-2018 06:31 AM

So, what is required to certify a car? Is it the fiasco of emissions or?

TheTurtleBoy 10-17-2018 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Doug2.7 (Post 25225059)
So, what is required to certify a car? Is it the fiasco of emissions or?

I think it needs to be done each year on all makes/models. The EPA and CARB (California) test the emissions and certify they are within guidelines.

mrhandsbites 10-17-2018 06:46 AM

Are any dealerships showing incoming inventory on their websites?

TheTurtleBoy 10-17-2018 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by mrhandsbites (Post 25225069)

cars.com shows that the 2019 Q7's are at dealerships now but I checked a few of the dealers listed and it wasn't on their individual web site. No other 2019 models show up.

irenesbob 10-17-2018 02:57 PM

None on the three dealers near me, and they normally include cars that are on order, shown as something like "arriving soon." The only 2019 one of them had was an RS5 (i think that's right) that was gone a day or two later when I checked.

angrypengu 10-17-2018 04:14 PM

A few people here have brought up air suspension on the A6.

This will be an option at launch for Canadian 2019 A6s, even though it doesn't show up on audi.ca right now. It is on the order guide for Canada. Same thing with the exterior light package for the A8. Not on audi.ca, but it's on the order guide and orderable at launch.

angrypengu 10-17-2018 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by farmerjones (Post 25221102)
on cars with the particulate filter new to the gas engines.

Can you please elaborate? What is this?

TheTurtleBoy 10-17-2018 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by angrypengu (Post 25225361)
A few people here have brought up air suspension on the A6.

This will be an option at launch for Canadian 2019 A6s, even though it doesn't show up on audi.ca right now. It is on the order guide for Canada. Same thing with the exterior light package for the A8. Not on audi.ca, but it's on the order guide and orderable at launch.

On the US website it doesn't show the air suspension as a feature but rather the adaptive dampers. I have read a number of reviews of the A6 with the air suspension and just about every one, if not every one, recommended not getting it because the ride was unsettled. One reviewer said that the air suspension transmitted every road imperfection to his thighs through the seat. Granted these were the European models so hopefully it would be tuned differently for this side of the ocean.

Also a number of reviewers mention that they would skip the all wheel steering since it feels weird the way it disconnects and reconnects when turning. I have not done any more research into that but definitely will as well as test drive should it ever become available here.

angrypengu 10-17-2018 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by TheTurtleBoy (Post 25225370)
On the US website it doesn't show the air suspension as a feature but rather the adaptive dampers. I have read a number of reviews of the A6 with the air suspension and just about every one, if not every one, recommended not getting it because the ride was unsettled. One reviewer said that the air suspension transmitted every road imperfection to his thighs through the seat. Granted these were the European models so hopefully it would be tuned differently for this side of the ocean.

Also a number of reviewers mention that they would skip the all wheel steering since it feels weird the way it disconnects and reconnects when turning. I have not done any more research into that but definitely will as well as test drive should it ever become available here.

The Canadian website also doesn't show it as a feature, but it is order-able. Can you please share where you read or saw that feedback? Carwow is my go to place for reviews and the comment from their chief reviewer was that the air suspension is absolutely awesome. I have no thoughts/comments on the 4 wheel steering as once I got that far in my review process, I decided the A8L was my next car (or the 2019 S class).

Here is the order guide for Canada.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...924366c73d.png

TheTurtleBoy 10-17-2018 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by angrypengu (Post 25225371)
The Canadian website also doesn't show it as a feature, but it is order-able. Can you please share where you read or saw that feedback? Carwow is my go to place for reviews and the comment from their chief reviewer was that the air suspension is absolutely awesome. I have no thoughts/comments on the 4 wheel steering as once I got that far in my review process, I decided the A8L was my next car (or the 2019 S class).

Here is the order guide for Canada.

Our order guide, at least the most lates I have seen, does not mention adaptive dampers or air suspension. In my original post I should have qualified my statement with foreign reviews. The domestic ones I have read did not really mention the air suspension ride or the steering other than it wouldn't; be available here. I did a quick search and could only find one of the reviews that I read from Autocar in the UK. https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/audi/a6

angrypengu 10-17-2018 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by TheTurtleBoy (Post 25225374)
Our order guide, at least the most lates I have seen, does not mention adaptive dampers or air suspension. In my original post I should have qualified my statement with foreign reviews. The domestic ones I have read did not really mention the air suspension ride or the steering other than it wouldn't; be available here. I did a quick search and could only find one of the reviews that I read from Autocar in the UK. https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/audi/a6

Thanks for the clarification. News to me - I learned something today. BTW, here is the one I was referencing:

TheTurtleBoy 10-17-2018 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by angrypengu (Post 25225377)
Thanks for the clarification. News to me - I learned something today. BTW, here is the one I was referencing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QQrqobDAG4

Thanks I will check it out.

SCarGuy 10-19-2018 11:14 AM

For those keeping score, A8 and Q8 were going to be the first approved for customs clearance. That has now occurred as of a little while ago. Cars marked sold are given the priority, but look for cars to start arriving at dealers in the next couple of weeks depending on where you're located related to the port that services your area.

Next up for clearance will be 19 A6 and A7's

The sky indeed, is not falling :)

TheTurtleBoy 10-19-2018 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by SCarGuy (Post 25226098)
For those keeping score, A8 and Q8 were going to be the first approved for customs clearance. That has now occurred as of a little while ago. Cars marked sold are given the priority, but look for cars to start arriving at dealers in the next couple of weeks depending on where you're located related to the port that services your area.

Next up for clearance will be 19 A6 and A7's

The sky indeed, is not falling :)

Thanks for the info! http://justclickit.ru/smiles/image/g...sti%20(18).gif

DB22 10-19-2018 03:10 PM

I’m still having a hard time getting excited over a first year model that doesn’t have the greatest reviews but all I have read do not pertain to the watered down model that will be offered to the USA.
I suspect that the “sporty” ride will be similar to the C7’s bone-shaker. The new MMI will be a fingerprint laden interface that can only be used on smooth roads (which don’t exist in the USA). Features that exist in the EU will be unavailable and therefore will remain just a tease for us. To buy one, sight unseen, is a brave person indeed.

angrypengu 10-20-2018 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by DB22 (Post 25226199)
I’m still having a hard time getting excited over a first year model that doesn’t have the greatest reviews but all I have read do not pertain to the watered down model that will be offered to the USA.
I suspect that the “sporty” ride will be similar to the C7’s bone-shaker. The new MMI will be a fingerprint laden interface that can only be used on smooth roads (which don’t exist in the USA). Features that exist in the EU will be unavailable and therefore will remain just a tease for us. To buy one, sight unseen, is a brave person indeed.

I won't comment on the ride because this the C8 is a "third" vehicle option for me so my research is not as extensive. That said, I feel I can comment on the MMI since I've done a lot of research on the A8's MMI and the mode operates similarly, if not, the same. It seems like the best UI out there these days is on the BMW. The Merc is a close second, and then now we have all of this touch screen crap. I don't disagree with you that these screens will be fingerprint hell, even if one applies some sort of vehicle wax on the screen (works for smart phones). That said though, not sure if you've ever dicked around with the Lexus system. That one will cause a car crash.

So all things being equal, I think the MMI will take some getting used to, but I think we're all figure it out eventually.

Alphatero 10-20-2018 06:37 AM

I have a 2019 A7 on order, delivery late November. I was excited about it, but after reading your post and knowing how much I LOVE my 2014 A6 (and its MMI), I am starting to have buyers remorse!

DB22 10-20-2018 07:42 AM

If you have a C7 then hold your arm outstretched to the screen and see how much a finger moves while going along a typically crap road. This test proves that hitting the correct character while driving is hit and miss. Does anyone hold their iPad at arms length while having somebody shake you and be able to type? The only reason for a touch pad in a car is for the manufacturer to save money not make a better interface.

angrypengu 10-20-2018 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by DB22 (Post 25226397)
If you have a C7 then hold your arm outstretched to the screen and see how much a finger moves while going along a typically crap road. This test proves that hitting the correct character while driving is hit and miss. Does anyone hold their iPad at arms length while having somebody shake you and be able to type? The only reason for a touch pad in a car is for the manufacturer to save money not make a better interface.

Maybe, sure - it's a theory, but that said if I did buy the A6, it'd be with the air springs, and with the A8, it comes with a super cushy ride. I'll make my own opinions once I drive them IRL, but since none of us have driven the 2019 A6/8, don't you think it's a bit premature to form an opinion without having driven it?

bravo659 10-20-2018 09:10 AM

To add to that prices are expensive to lease or own one.
The A6 and A8 looking identical
The SLine does not open the exhaust port to show exhaust tips
Trunk smaller that the predecessor
No longer a supercharged option but a twin turbo
wonder how is the latency on the twin turbo.

bravo659 10-20-2018 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by mrhandsbites (Post 25225069)

The dealership in Long Island will have the A6's in two weeks.
Beginning of November i'll be seeing the 2019 Audi A6 Prestige

DB22 10-20-2018 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by angrypengu (Post 25226400)
Maybe, sure - it's a theory, but that said if I did buy the A6, it'd be with the air springs, and with the A8, it comes with a super cushy ride. I'll make my own opinions once I drive them IRL, but since none of us have driven the 2019 A6/8, don't you think it's a bit premature to form an opinion without having driven it?

You, mistakenly, forgot to put your location under your logon name and I’m not convinced that the US A6 will have the air springs. Even the EU tests have not stated that the ride is “cushy”.
My theory can easily be tested by holding your arm out and watching your hand move around.

angrypengu 10-20-2018 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by DB22 (Post 25226446)

You, mistakenly, forgot to put your location under your logon name and I’m not convinced that the US A6 will have the air springs. Even the EU tests have not stated that the ride is “cushy”.
My theory can easily be tested by holding your arm out and watching your hand move around.

Your theory isn't painting the whole picture. Try bracing your arms like we all can against the gear shifter.

DB22 10-20-2018 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by angrypengu (Post 25226448)
Your theory isn't painting the whole picture. Try bracing your arms like we all can against the gear shifter.

and then reach the top display? I don’t have 14 inch fingers.

angrypengu 10-20-2018 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by DB22 (Post 25226455)

and then reach the top display? I don’t have 14 inch fingers.

Most of the input is done on the lower screen. For example Temp controls and navigation address entry.

That said feel free to knock something before you have tried it. I'll approach things with a more open mind. To each their own.

SCarGuy 10-20-2018 10:42 AM

tons of engineers in here, and wet blankets

how about wait until the car is in, drive it....if you like it cool, if you don't like it, that's cool too

TheTurtleBoy 10-20-2018 10:43 AM

I think a lot will depend on how big the icons are that you need to hit. It hopefully is not a case of them being so small that you have to have "perfect" aim but rather a decent size where your arm does not have to be outstretched and held still to hit. In theory, it should not be any different than hitting a button.

SCarGuy 10-20-2018 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by bravo659 (Post 25226423)
To add to that prices are expensive to lease or own one.
The A6 and A8 looking identical
The SLine does not open the exhaust port to show exhaust tips
Trunk smaller that the predecessor
No longer a supercharged option but a twin turbo
wonder how is the latency on the twin turbo.

ever look at the curves (hp, boost and torque) on the 3.0 liter vs the single turbo V6? Say, from a B8/8.5 S4 and a new one?

SCarGuy 10-20-2018 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by TheTurtleBoy (Post 25226459)
I think a lot will depend on how big the icons are that you need to hit. It hopefully is not a case of them being so small that you have to have "perfect" aim but rather a decent size where your arm does not have to be outstretched and held still to hit. In theory, it should not be any different than hitting a button.

having used it, you can change their size, change their haptic feedback, and change what icons show on your main page vs sub pages

TheTurtleBoy 10-20-2018 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by SCarGuy (Post 25226461)
having used it, you can change their size, change their haptic feedback, and change what icons show on your main page vs sub pages

Excellent, then it would seem it would not be a problem. Now if they could just come up with a anti-fingerprint device. ;)

SCarGuy 10-20-2018 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by TheTurtleBoy (Post 25226463)
Excellent, then it would seem it would not be a problem. Now if they could just come up with a anti-fingerprint device. ;)

I agree, remains to be seen how bad it is, as I used it, but it wasn't for hours on end. I'm not generally a fan of touchscreens either

angrypengu 10-20-2018 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by TheTurtleBoy (Post 25226463)

Also a concern for me, but I'm personally unsure why this is a concern for me. I'm OCD - and pretty bad at it, but that said now that I think of it, my phone gets wiped down by a cloth maybe once a day, but I do stare at it all day. I believe that all of us won't wipe down our phones every single time we use it/look at it, which is probably more often than we're staring at the screen in our car.

So no idea how things will play out, but I wonder if our worries are not that warranted because we're not all carrying cloths in our pockets and using that to wipe down our phones?

Stillrestless 10-20-2018 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by bravo659 (Post 25226432)
The dealership in Long Island will have the A6's in two weeks.
Beginning of November i'll be seeing the 2019 Audi A6 Prestige

Hopefully this is accurate. If so, this timing is not far off from what my northwestern NJ dealer told me. I intend to check again in about one week. For now, all I can do is hope and wait.

bravo659 10-22-2018 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by SCarGuy (Post 25226460)
ever look at the curves (hp, boost and torque) on the 3.0 liter vs the single turbo V6? Say, from a B8/8.5 S4 and a new one?

You do have a point there.
being a twin turbo at 369 lb ft of torque may have that much power over the supercharger.
i had an acura twin turbo at 325 lb ft of torque it delayed on the response.
I want power when i need it. Superchargers are that has no delayed response.
So youre saying the current i have A8 has a single turbo V6 supercharger and audi just made it powerful than the supercharged version.
Im busy working that I havent noticed about anything lol.
Ive seen the lines on both but seem to be identical or maybe im seeing things lol.

TheTurtleBoy 10-22-2018 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by bravo659 (Post 25227099)
You do have a point there.
being a twin turbo at 369 lb ft of torque may have that much power over the supercharger.
i had an acura twin turbo at 325 lb ft of torque it delayed on the response.
I want power when i need it. Superchargers are that has no delayed response..

I think a lot of that depends on whether the turbos are parallel or sequential. I believe in theory you should have little/none of consequence turbo lag when running sequential.

TheTurtleBoy 10-22-2018 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by TheTurtleBoy (Post 25227105)
I think a lot of that depends on whether the turbos are parallel or sequential. I believe in theory you should have little/none of consequence turbo lag when running sequential.

Now that I think about it, do we know if the new engines will be using parallel or sequential turbos? I haven't run across the answer while reading reviews.