AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/)
-   -   Yet Another Suspension Air Compressor Issue. 00668 - Supply Voltage Terminal 30 009 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/yet-another-suspension-air-compressor-issue-00668-supply-voltage-terminal-30-009-a-2964114/)

Jack88 12-19-2018 07:13 PM

If the pump is disabled, automatic and comfort will stay illuminated if already selected because it requires no change in ride height. Seen it before too.

tony51 01-24-2019 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by rellascout (Post 25250767)
Mine turned on 100 miles into a 300 mile return trip home. I kept stopping to check the level.

Got it into a shop today and it was the fuse. I got it replaced and it is working fine. Hopefully that was it but will keep an eye on it. It would not surprise me if the relay goes and the fuse pops again. Pump was good to go and no codes showing it is being overworked or over heated at any point. So at least that is good at this point.

The fuse you speak of.is it located near the module under the steering wheel dash panel ?

Mister Bally 01-24-2019 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by tony51 (Post 25266258)
The fuse you speak of.is it located near the module under the steering wheel dash panel ?

Just above Relay #373 (Assuming an OEM relay is installed for the compressor) behind the dash panel (that has a knee airbag) next to he steering column.

tony51 01-24-2019 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Bally (Post 25266343)
Just above Relay #373 (Assuming an OEM relay is installed for the compressor) behind the dash panel (that has a knee airbag) next to he steering column.

kool..ty..i have a compressor that I just installed from a donor car so didnt know the life of it. but there was a lot of water in it whenever we installed it .
.it pump the car up and I believe it's just stuck so I believe obviously I don't have a leak but it's not functioning at all just stuck up..(better than slammed) . the "lift"in the "dynamic" is grayed out on my MMI screen so I believe it's telling the system its at full height..so im lead to believe either a relay or fuse or just the compressor !
now if I had a compressor that timed out due to overheating(my original compressor that i still have) or this one that may have got wet, is it possible to rebuild whatever part inside that has to do with or is it toast?I know you could rebuild them but I know that's for seals for leaks

Turbo Tony 09-23-2020 12:30 PM

HI guys,

Sorry to do the zombie-thread thing but I just had the same issue on my car, although the circumstances are a little suspicious. My car has been parked all summer, while, among other unrelated things, I changed the piston ring in the air suspension compressor and the air suspension fuse and relay. There was nothing wrong, I just thought I'd do some preventative maintenance.

On it's first day out, after 65 miles of behaving perfectly, I stopped at a garage to have my AC regassed and, when I got the car back, a few seconds later, the air suspension light came on. Lift mode is greyed out and the compressor is not turning on. The car was level and at the right height, so I drove home and scanned with VCDS, to find the 00668 code - terminal 30 open or short to ground:

Address 34: Level Control Labels: 4E0-910-553.clb

Control Module Part Number: 4E0 910 553 L HW: 4E0 907 553 H

Component and/or Version: LUFTFDR.-CDC H07 6340

Software Coding: 0015510

Work Shop Code: WSC 57580 001 1048576

VCID: 2C14C4248FD632E68E-8079

1 Fault Found:

00668 - Supply Voltage Terminal 30

009 - Open or Short to Ground

Freeze Frame:

Fault Status: 11101001

Fault Priority: 2

Fault Frequency: 1

Reset counter: 142

Mileage: 171680 km

Time Indication: 0

I'm going to investigate the fuse and relay, seeing as they're likely culprits. I bought both from Audi. Is there a chance I got a dud relay or fuse? Could the AC regas process cause this? I know that sounds nuts but I'm wondering if the electrics are linked, or maybe if the long time spent with the car running sitting idle may have done it. I can't imagine the garage jacked up the car for an AC regas but I didn't see them do it, so I can't say for sure.

Also, could anyone that had this issue and resolved it please say what the fix was?

Turbo Tony 09-26-2020 09:16 AM

OK, so I refitted the old fuse and relay today. Cleared the fault code and the light went away. The car levelled itself fine but I think it was using the residual pressure in the tank in the back. As soon as the compressor was asked to come on (by me selecting lift mode), the fuse went pop and the amber light came back on. Reading through this thread, I saw this comment:

Originally Posted by Mister Bally (Post 25250808)
I'm surprised the fuse blew on its own. Usually it blows because one of the motor magnets becomes unglued from the motor case and causes a drag and excessive current draw.

Mister Bally, is that repairable, or is a new compressor required?

Brozee 09-27-2020 07:13 AM

Not worth the repair given how cheap compressors can be had. I've personally installed two of these and instructed many members to do likewise. Just grab this unit and be worry free for years to come.

ltooz_a6_a8_q7 09-27-2020 08:17 AM

Why do People keep replacing pumps blindly? The pump only dies if over heating due to the relay stuck close, either being faulty or monkeyed with the suspension using VCDS. My car's pump survived 2 airbags leaks incidents and still working perfectly. Yes, I was ignorant to buy the rebuild kit and it's still in the garage, a waste of money.

Turbo Tony 09-28-2020 06:08 AM

Thanks guys, I've found a compressor at a slightly-less eye-watering price than Audi charges but I'll wait to diagnose it as faulty before I fire the parts canon. On the S8, it's such a pain to remove and refit! Wish me luck...

Turbo Tony 09-28-2020 06:31 AM

One more question: are there any common areas that cause the compressor to overload when activated? I'll try and connect it to a separate battery out of the car, to isolate the compressor from the wiring but is there anything that jumps out as a common failure point or telltale?