Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Leaking in heavy rain?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Leaking in heavy rain?

I have an Edition One that I absolutely love. Sure, there are a few quirks that others have identified on this forum (and this is a great place to connect and share, so thanks to all). I have one issue that just resurfaced last week after not being an issue for five months.

The day after I picked up my etron in April, we had a downpour. When I got in the car after work, there was a steady dripping from the spot where the rear view mirror meets the windshield through the fabric of the headliner. I immediately took it to the dealer and left it for them to fix. After more than a week, where they ran garden hoses over the roof and removed the headliner to look for the leak, they couldn’t conclusively identify what happened. And when they ran it through the car wash multiple times, they weren’t able to reproduce a leak. The Audi tech that came from somewhere else identified a possible issue, and Audi was going to explore that, but I haven’t seen anything since.

Since then, we’ve had rain, and I’ve run my etron through car washes multiple times, all without any leaking...until last week. We had another downpour, and I had the same dripping in the same location. I’m scheduled to turn the car in Friday for the recall fix on the high voltage issue, so I plan to let them know about the recurrence.

Has anyone else had any leaking headliners in their etrons?

Thanks!
The following 3 users liked this post by jthackston:
Hannah Avellaneda (05-21-2022), Kristin Michie (02-03-2020), sanjayshrink@yahoo.com (11-17-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

That may be a sunroof drain leak. They would know what to look for, known issue with some old Q7s.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I’ve never had anything like that happen to my edition one. I’ve yet to take my car in for the charging port seal fix.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jthackston
I have an Edition One that I absolutely love. Sure, there are a few quirks that others have identified on this forum (and this is a great place to connect and share, so thanks to all). I have one issue that just resurfaced last week after not being an issue for five months.

The day after I picked up my etron in April, we had a downpour. When I got in the car after work, there was a steady dripping from the spot where the rear view mirror meets the windshield through the fabric of the headliner. I immediately took it to the dealer and left it for them to fix. After more than a week, where they ran garden hoses over the roof and removed the headliner to look for the leak, they couldn’t conclusively identify what happened. And when they ran it through the car wash multiple times, they weren’t able to reproduce a leak. The Audi tech that came from somewhere else identified a possible issue, and Audi was going to explore that, but I haven’t seen anything since.

Since then, we’ve had rain, and I’ve run my etron through car washes multiple times, all without any leaking...until last week. We had another downpour, and I had the same dripping in the same location. I’m scheduled to turn the car in Friday for the recall fix on the high voltage issue, so I plan to let them know about the recurrence.

Has anyone else had any leaking headliners in their etrons?

Thanks!
Have driven the car through (very) heavy rain for over 3 hours without any issues. So return to dealer.
(BTW: stopping for charging, waiting for the charge post to accept my RFID card, and then taking over 2 minutes to release the charging cable in the pouring rain was less fun :-))
Old 09-17-2019, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

I've also driven in several very heavy downpours had have had no leaks
Old 09-18-2019, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

Have done several drives through very heavy rain @ 70 mph +. No leaks.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 174 Likes on 139 Posts

Just a thought--was your vehicle parked on an incline when the leak occurred? Volvo XC90's had issues with leaking onto the cabin area when the vehicle was at an incline as the drain channels in the sunroof were not sufficient to capture the volume at water entry (FYI--all sunroofs leak somewhat, hence why there are drains). I had the repair, and never had a recurrence. Volvo has since redesigned them and the leaking sunroof reports have disappeared from the Volvo forums.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Massive leak in headliner- in the shop for second time

Mine did this twice now.
so bad that when I turn the water pours all over me or my passenger. When driving it just pours in and I have to keep a blanket over the gear shift.
I have taken it in once already and they “fixed” it and the exact same thing happened again. It’s back in the shop and I told them I do not feel safe given how much water has been inside my electric car and do not want the car back.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Emily Morgan
Mine did this twice now.
so bad that when I turn the water pours all over me or my passenger. When driving it just pours in and I have to keep a blanket over the gear shift.
I have taken it in once already and they “fixed” it and the exact same thing happened again. It’s back in the shop and I told them I do not feel safe given how much water has been inside my electric car and do not want the car back.
Was this issue ever resolved? We just dropped ours off for the same leak - right behind the rear view mirror and dripping onto the shifter. Only happened while driving in a relatively heavy rain. Doesn’t leak when the car isn’t moving as far as we can tell.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

YES!! My Etron is in the shop at Audi of Wilsonville (Oregon) right now for the exact same problem. My theory is the drain holes are getting overloaded.

Quick Reply: Leaking in heavy rain?