Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Over-the-air updates?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Over-the-air updates?

HI,
I'm considering getting an etron in the near future. I have read in a few places that there is an 'over the air update', examples including updating software and also purchasing additional functionality (they mention matrix headlights and park assist). However, most seem to reference the German model. Is this available for US versions of the car?

Thanks.
Mike
Old 11-19-2019, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

There are no over the air software updates. Only map updates. The rumor mill indeed said there will be some additional features available if you pay for them that would get activated over the air. No idea when those are going live.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

My maps updated this morning OTA. I suppose at some point they will activate the "Purchases" icon, which would be nice because it just takes up space today. Annoyingly, due to some bug in the MMI, when I move the "Purchases" icon to the second page it doesn't stick but for a day or two, then the whole thing reverts to default and it ends up back on the first page.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Which of course is ironically double-annoying because had Audi taken an OTA strategy from the start the above example bug (home screen icons cannot be permanently rearranged) would have been fixed by now!
The following 2 users liked this post by wetz001:
e-tronDriver (11-19-2019), eeicshufro (11-16-2022)
Old 11-20-2019, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts

No OTA updates except Maps, no additional function purchases even though it was supposed to launch mid 2019. MMI is buggy as hell and Audi in the US can’t answer when a software update will be available nor do they have any clue what you’re talking about when asking for a launch date on additional functions.

Maybe they should’ve hidden the damn purchases menu until it was ready to launch. I’ve complained to the dealer and Audi of America multiple times over all the issues and they just try and blame each other. They’re living under a rock!
Old 11-21-2019, 08:43 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by hrc1079
No OTA updates except Maps, no additional function purchases even though it was supposed to launch mid 2019. MMI is buggy as hell and Audi in the US can’t answer when a software update will be available nor do they have any clue what you’re talking about when asking for a launch date on additional functions.

Maybe they should’ve hidden the damn purchases menu until it was ready to launch. I’ve complained to the dealer and Audi of America multiple times over all the issues and they just try and blame each other. They’re living under a rock!
That's what happens when you rush to get your BEV out the door the early adopters pay the price. I'm betting the MKII e-tron will be much improved...in say 2025. By then there will be no free charging stations and they will still be 100% full at carparks. As the etiquette thread mentioned they'll have to change to a $100/hour model at some point to get people to move their cars.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gk1
That's what happens when you rush to get your BEV out the door the early adopters pay the price. I'm betting the MKII e-tron will be much improved...in say 2025. By then there will be no free charging stations and they will still be 100% full at carparks. As the etiquette thread mentioned they'll have to change to a $100/hour model at some point to get people to move their cars.
I agree that early adopters are always going to experience teething issues BUT this car has been out almost 12 months now and it appears not one single software update is available to fix the issues at all. I can put up with bugs if the updates are coming on a regular basis but Audi needs to get better at agile software development!
The following 2 users liked this post by hrc1079:
eeicshufro (11-16-2022), Raj Rao (11-24-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree that early adopters are always going to experience teething issues BUT this car has been out almost 12 months now and it appears not one single software update is available to fix the issues at all. I can put up with bugs if the updates are coming on a regular basis but Audi needs to get better at agile software development!
It seems that maybe there is a software update. Noticed this on the Software Version post on this forum. I have the 2539 version but there seems to be a 2658 version. I am going in tomorrow to see if I can get this update.

Here is from another post on the thread

Old 11-21-2019, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by baherrick
It seems that maybe there is a software update. Noticed this on the Software Version post on this forum. I have the 2539 version but there seems to be a 2658 version. I am going in tomorrow to see if I can get this update.

Here is from another post on the thread

let me know if they give it to you. I reached out to my dealer and have heard nothing back
Old 11-22-2019, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

let me know if they give it to you. I reached out to my dealer and have heard nothing back
I dropped it off this morning and they said it was due for an update. I assume I will get the 2658 version.

Quick Reply: Over-the-air updates?