AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-q8-e-tron-232/)
-   -   Recall: High-Voltage Battery Module(s) 93U9/23V867 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-q8-e-tron-232/recall-high-voltage-battery-module-s-93u9-23v867-3065125/)

22 e-tron Sportback 12-26-2023 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dimcorner21 (Post 25871777)
I have a 22 Chronos and do not have a recall notice either as of today. How do you check build date?

https://web.audiusa.com/recall/

LIKEGADGETS 12-26-2023 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by anemeth (Post 25871702)
@LIKEGADGETS Thanks for the info. Can you please give me the manufacturing year and month of your e-tron, thus we can narrow down which car is effected. As your car is outside of this range. Thanks.

where do I look for year and month of manufacture?

anemeth 12-26-2023 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by LIKEGADGETS (Post 25871877)

I have an EU car, but I was told that the US cars have a sticker on the driver side B pillar with the manufacturing date. If you open the driver door you should see it on the doorpillar.

22 e-tron Sportback 12-26-2023 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by LIKEGADGETS (Post 25871877)

Open your drivers side door and look around. There will be a sticker telling you date of manufacture.

Vermont Etron 12-27-2023 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by anemeth (Post 25871702)
@LIKEGADGETS Thanks for the info. Can you please give me the manufacturing year and month of your e-tron, thus we can narrow down which car is effected. As your car is outside of this range. Thanks.

My Premium Plus was built 10/21 in Belgium. Affected.

JL 12-27-2023 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Dimcorner21 (Post 25871777)
I have a 22 Chronos and do not have a recall notice either as of today. How do you check build date?

There’s a sticker near the lower driver’s door sill. The first line says MFG By Audi AG, next to it has something that looks like a date code (MM YY). Mine shows 02 22; so Feb 2022.

The myAudi app never listed this recall, only the EVSE cable recall. Now the EVSE cable recall is no longer showing in the app. The NHTSA site shows both recalls are applicable to my VIN.

stigshero 12-27-2023 07:04 AM

2021 (April 2021 build) PP in the US, shows up as affected on the web site but not the app.

I don't expect anything but "improved software" for most owners, but this might explain my consistent ~140 GOM range at 80% charge. (3rd EV, stock tires at 40psi, mixed local driving, no drag racing or 80mph interstate speeds, modestly hilly area)

GL921 12-27-2023 07:25 AM

i have a 19 EO and both recalls apply to my VIN too. i'm at 63,000 mi and haven't noticed anything weird with the battery or range. but i guess if i start to see performance and or weird range problems, i will bring it up ASAP. otherwise i'll just wait to talk to service about it at the 70k service interval.

anemeth 12-27-2023 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by stigshero (Post 25872003)
I don't expect anything but "improved software" for most owners,

I think Audi would like to get away with this with software, but here is some fact and some speculation:

Fact_1: From March 2019 until January 2021, Audi used battery cells LG Chem E66A, manufactured by LG Chem in Poland, It has NCM 622 chemistry and 220Wh module. From January 2021 until 2023 it switched to Samsung SDI cells manufactured in Hungary with the same chemistry and electric property.

Fact_2: Hyundai Kona MY18-20 used battery cells by LG Chem E63B, manufactured by LG Chem in China. It has same chemistry and almost same physical dimention and electric property as the Audi LG Chem battery.

Fact_3: Hyundai had (had to) replace the full battery in those cars as those batteries had a risk to catch fire due to the manufacturing problem (short circuit causing the fire). Hyundai replaced 88,000 car batteries, costing around $900 mill. Also LG Chem made the batteries for Chevrolet Bolt, also GM replaced the full battery pack in every cars due to fire risk.

Speculation: For early e-trons (MY19-21), the battery almost identical to Hyundai Kona batteries. If Hyundai had to replace full battery pack for these, and the problem same or very similar in Audi, they have to do the same, as there is no way Audi can detect a battery latent manufacturing problem with software. I cannot speculate for the Samsung SDI battery, as I am not aware any problem with this battery.

JNealCox 12-27-2023 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by anemeth (Post 25872025)
I think Audi would like to get away with this with software, but here is some fact and some speculation:

Fact_1: From March 2019 until January 2021, Audi used battery cells LG Chem E66A, manufactured by LG Chem in Poland, It has NCM 622 chemistry and 220Wh module. From January 2021 until 2023 it switched to Samsung SDI cells manufactured in Hungary with the same chemistry and electric property.

Fact_2: Hyundai Kona MY18-20 used battery cells by LG Chem E63B, manufactured by LG Chem in China. It has same chemistry and almost same physical dimention and electric property as the Audi LG Chem battery.

Fact_3: Hyundai had (had to) replace the full battery in those cars as those batteries had a risk to catch fire due to the manufacturing problem (short circuit causing the fire). Hyundai replaced 88,000 car batteries, costing around $900 mill. Also LG Chem made the batteries for Chevrolet Bolt, also GM replaced the full battery pack in every cars due to fire risk.

Speculation: For early e-trons (MY19-21), the battery almost identical to Hyundai Kona batteries. If Hyundai had to replace full battery pack for these, and the problem same or very similar in Audi, they have to do the same, as there is no way Audi can detect a battery latent manufacturing problem with software. I cannot speculate for the Samsung SDI battery, as I am not aware any problem with this battery.

Early in the introduction of the 2019 etron quattro there in fact was a recall due to the potential for the battery to catch fire. So, this would be the second recall on the 2019 battery.