AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/)
-   -   Another Software Cheat Discovered (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/another-software-cheat-discovered-2909091/)

Jcampbell3 11-06-2016 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE (Post 24878042)
The first line on the label will say "MFD. BY AUDI AG" and then there will be a 4 digit code. For example, mine says 09 14, which means September 2014.

Thanks it says 07/16, makes it about right from when I ordered and finally got it.

Sorry, had to bend even further in the garage! Sucks getting "older".

Cheers

HotRodW 11-06-2016 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by thehaviet (Post 24878035)
I have a feeling that once this thing is busted wide open, it will probably covers more cars than just the mentioned A8 and Q5. Who knows, maybe A4 and A6 are also impacted?

Wouldn't surprise me even a little bit. I've speculated exactly that in the past. If it works for diesels, there's no reason it can't be applied to gasoline engines, too. I've often wondered how our 2.0T consistently exceeds EPA fuel economy ratings, and I rarely see an Audi that doesn't have black-stained exhaust tips.

jallen0 11-06-2016 10:17 AM

I have not really kept up with the legal remedies for the earlier scandal. Did any car owner successfully sue Audi because of this?

koobah 11-06-2016 11:12 AM

Audi may end up buying back the affected cars, just like VW is now doing, so no reason to get upset. The sad part is that it will cut into their bottom line, which means scaling back on R&D and effectively new products. I wonder if SQ is affected by this.

DocTJ 11-06-2016 11:34 AM

I'm not butthurt by any of this.
My Audi is still badass and still performs and does what I expect it to do.
Audi is one of many car manufacturers that I'm sure were also cheating. Audi just got caught. That's the difference.

dougnash 11-06-2016 11:45 AM

Does any of this potential mess have any correlation to Emissions Recall 24CO - Engine Control Module Software???

That specifically pertains to potential software issues when getting smog checked.

thehaviet 11-06-2016 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by koobah (Post 24878081)
Audi may end up buying back the affected cars, just like VW is now doing, so no reason to get upset. The sad part is that it will cut into their bottom line, which means scaling back on R&D and effectively new products. I wonder if SQ is affected by this.

If this by any chance becomes as big as Dieselgate #2, it might spell the doom of Audi and/or VAG. Tens of billions loss in settlements, plus a reputation that will be badly damaged.

I am really hoping it won't because I really enjoyed both our Audis, but if it does then I will be very hesitant to buy/own another Audi.

HotRodW 11-06-2016 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by DocTJ (Post 24878093)
I'm not butthurt by any of this.
My Audi is still badass and still performs and does what I expect it to do.
Audi is one of many car manufacturers that I'm sure were also cheating. Audi just got caught. That's the difference.

The software could be the reason your Audi performs so well. Cheating cars will likely see a drop-off in performance and/or efficiency when brought into compliance. 3.0T models in particular have performed beyond what their power ratings would suggest. We might now know why.

While certainly a possibility, there is no evidence any other manufacturer has implemented such a cheat. You can bet there will be lots of people looking going forward. If others are guilty it will come out eventually.

HotRodW 11-06-2016 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by koobah (Post 24878081)

There are plenty of reasons to get upset. The buyback exists because fixing some diesel cars cost-effectively isn't possible. Gasoline engines aren't as difficult to make clean, so software could be all that's required. Such a re-flash would likely impact performance and efficiency negatively. And you can bet resale values, too.

ex-quattro PETE 11-06-2016 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by dougnash (Post 24878098)
Does any of this potential mess have any correlation to Emissions Recall 24CO - Engine Control Module Software???

That specifically pertains to potential software issues when getting smog checked.

I wouldn't be surprised if it did.