AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/)
-   -   Cheap Sim Card and Plan for Audi Connect (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/cheap-sim-card-plan-audi-connect-2883993/)

hitchens97 05-27-2015 07:06 AM

Cheap Sim Card and Plan for Audi Connect

Our free 6 months has run out. We like the send to car feature, and the search feature, but not so bothered about google maps or hotspot, so we'll only use a few megabytes a month I suspect.

The verdict seems to be Truphone, but just wanted to check if others had other recs.

DigitalBoy 05-27-2015 07:21 AM

+1 for Truphone. I had the same requirements as you, Truphone was the best/cheapest for the very occasional use and limited data requirements we had.

db

hilld 05-27-2015 08:12 AM

I have Truphone and it works just great, actually I would say that it works better than T-mobile as mine seems to using the AT&T network (better coverage). All I really use it for is to look up destinations from myAudi account and to google a location. I don't use Google Maps. In the month I have used it, I have consumed 4 cents of data, guess my prepaid will last quite a bit.

Q5 Bob 05-27-2015 08:36 AM

Is the service through Truphone 3G? I may consider going with them.

I just received a letter from T-Mobile that due to some changes/updates to their network the metro Chicago area, the Audi Connect in-car service will go to 2G! Areas outside of the metro area will still be 3 G.

The next day I got a letter form AoA with information on a free hardware update done by the dealer which will keep the service at 3G.

I'll probably get it done but will be looking for other providers when my pre-paid subscription with T-Mobile runs out.

snagitseven 05-27-2015 10:08 AM

Does the Audi letter address a T-Mobile subscription requirement for the upgrade?

Q5 Bob 05-27-2015 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by snagitseven (Post 24690477)
Does the Audi letter address a T-Mobile subscription requirement for the upgrade?

Yes, the Audi letter says "to enable Audi Connect the purchase of a data plan is required".

snagitseven 05-27-2015 11:30 AM

Hopefully, that includes any already active plans.

hilld 05-27-2015 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob (Post 24690443)
Is the service through Truphone 3G? I may consider going with them.

I just received a letter from T-Mobile that due to some changes/updates to their network the metro Chicago area, the Audi Connect in-car service will go to 2G! Areas outside of the metro area will still be 3 G.

The next day I got a letter form AoA with information on a free hardware update done by the dealer which will keep the service at 3G.

I'll probably get it done but will be looking for other providers when my pre-paid subscription with T-Mobile runs out.

Tell me more about this hardware upgrade?

Q5 Bob 05-27-2015 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by snagitseven (Post 24690518)
Hopefully, that includes any already active plans.

It sounds like active plans won't be effected.

Q5 Bob 05-27-2015 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by hilld (Post 24690541)
Tell me more about this hardware upgrade?

I don't have any additional information, other than what was in the letter from AoA. It's about 1.5 hours labor (usually overstated?) and will "restore 3G capability". It sounds like Audi will be going with AT&T for all Audi Connect services due to better 4G coverage.