AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mkii-discussion-218/)
-   -   VCDS/Vagcom vs VCP vs OBD11 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mkii-discussion-218/vcds-vagcom-vs-vcp-vs-obd11-2940301/)

AudisticS5 01-05-2018 11:11 AM

VCDS/Vagcom vs VCP vs OBD11

After getting my Q5 a vcds cable was on my list of immediate mods to buy, but looking at other options I'm seeing useful applications for the other tools... At some point I'd like code my taillights for Euro/RoW spec, in addition to having video in motion, and maybe defeat Auto start/stop.

I was mainly interested in VCDS for scanning and doing diag functions alternative to dealer services, but if I need any of the other tools, can they also do basic diag scans and clearing codes as well? To me I'm thinking they're all different flavors of the same thing so seems a bit redundant to get all 3 just to do different functions.

wdimagineer 01-05-2018 01:42 PM

Yes, VCP can do diagnostic and scanning functions. It is, however, a more advanced product capable of doing a bit more harm than VCDS.

2018_SQ5 01-05-2018 03:28 PM

I too looked at all options and opted to go with a Ross-tech cable and use their software versus going with an OBDEleven device.

Though the cost was more I was happy to see the support and quality of going with Ross-tech.

daberlin 01-05-2018 03:29 PM

I've used VCDS for many VW's and Audi's. Solid tool, a bit on the pricey side, but very capable. I like the concept of OBD11 but I'm not an Android device guy. I don't see an IOS device interface in their future given Apple's proprietary software nature, so, for me, the decision is an easy one.

2018_SQ5 01-06-2018 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by daberlin (Post 25092225)
I've used VCDS for many VW's and Audi's. Solid tool, a bit on the pricey side, but very capable. I like the concept of OBD11 but I'm not an Android device guy. I don't see an IOS device interface in their future given Apple's proprietary software nature, so, for me, the decision is an easy one.

I downloaded and farted around with the OBDEleven android app a few weeks back in my search to find which option I'd go with. While the app was easy to navigate I did not like the credit-based system (though I could easily rack up free credits in the 3 months wait for my SQ5 to be built and delivered). I also did not like the fact that I had limited insight into the actual changes being made.

VCDS has a more polished and professional look that appealed to me.

U-2 01-06-2018 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by 2018_SQ5 (Post 25092416)
I downloaded and farted around with the OBDEleven android app a few weeks back in my search to find which option I'd go with. While the app was easy to navigate I did not like the credit-based system (though I could easily rack up free credits in the 3 months wait for my SQ5 to be built and delivered). I also did not like the fact that I had limited insight into the actual changes being made.

VCDS has a more polished and professional look that appealed to me.

Pro version of OBDEleven doesn't require using of embedded apps to do any changes. You can do long coding and adaptations.

2018_SQ5 01-07-2018 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by U-2 (Post 25092436)
Pro version of OBDEleven doesn't require using of embedded apps to do any changes. You can do long coding and adaptations.

I know... the credit-based system was still not appealing.

I like the fact that Rosstech will upgrade/update the cable and software if I get a future VW/Audi that requires an update. Moreover, the resale on their cables appears to be pretty decent if I ever decide to get rid of it altogether.

kizmo 03-11-2020 08:08 AM

Do I really have to pay 199$ though?

kizmo 03-11-2020 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by kizmo (Post 25431217)
Do I really have to pay 199$ though?

And do I need this to update the MMI 3G+ so that I can upgrade my maps on a 2013 A6?

SQ5R8 03-12-2020 02:09 AM

VCDS for the win here. Have the unlimited version and i have helped many many other with long coding their car. It's a bunch of money at the first place, but you get a bunch for it in return.