Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

VCDS/Vagcom vs VCP vs OBD11

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VCDS/Vagcom vs VCP vs OBD11

After getting my Q5 a vcds cable was on my list of immediate mods to buy, but looking at other options I'm seeing useful applications for the other tools... At some point I'd like code my taillights for Euro/RoW spec, in addition to having video in motion, and maybe defeat Auto start/stop.

I was mainly interested in VCDS for scanning and doing diag functions alternative to dealer services, but if I need any of the other tools, can they also do basic diag scans and clearing codes as well? To me I'm thinking they're all different flavors of the same thing so seems a bit redundant to get all 3 just to do different functions.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, VCP can do diagnostic and scanning functions. It is, however, a more advanced product capable of doing a bit more harm than VCDS.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too looked at all options and opted to go with a Ross-tech cable and use their software versus going with an OBDEleven device.

Though the cost was more I was happy to see the support and quality of going with Ross-tech.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used VCDS for many VW's and Audi's. Solid tool, a bit on the pricey side, but very capable. I like the concept of OBD11 but I'm not an Android device guy. I don't see an IOS device interface in their future given Apple's proprietary software nature, so, for me, the decision is an easy one.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by daberlin
I've used VCDS for many VW's and Audi's. Solid tool, a bit on the pricey side, but very capable. I like the concept of OBD11 but I'm not an Android device guy. I don't see an IOS device interface in their future given Apple's proprietary software nature, so, for me, the decision is an easy one.
I downloaded and farted around with the OBDEleven android app a few weeks back in my search to find which option I'd go with. While the app was easy to navigate I did not like the credit-based system (though I could easily rack up free credits in the 3 months wait for my SQ5 to be built and delivered). I also did not like the fact that I had limited insight into the actual changes being made.

VCDS has a more polished and professional look that appealed to me.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:18 AM
U-2
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2018_SQ5
I downloaded and farted around with the OBDEleven android app a few weeks back in my search to find which option I'd go with. While the app was easy to navigate I did not like the credit-based system (though I could easily rack up free credits in the 3 months wait for my SQ5 to be built and delivered). I also did not like the fact that I had limited insight into the actual changes being made.

VCDS has a more polished and professional look that appealed to me.
Pro version of OBDEleven doesn't require using of embedded apps to do any changes. You can do long coding and adaptations.

Last edited by U-2; 01-06-2018 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by U-2
Pro version of OBDEleven doesn't require using of embedded apps to do any changes. You can do long coding and adaptations.

I know... the credit-based system was still not appealing.

I like the fact that Rosstech will upgrade/update the cable and software if I get a future VW/Audi that requires an update. Moreover, the resale on their cables appears to be pretty decent if I ever decide to get rid of it altogether.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Do I really have to pay 199$ though?
Old 03-11-2020, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kizmo
Do I really have to pay 199$ though?
And do I need this to update the MMI 3G+ so that I can upgrade my maps on a 2013 A6?
Old 03-12-2020, 02:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

VCDS for the win here. Have the unlimited version and i have helped many many other with long coding their car. It's a bunch of money at the first place, but you get a bunch for it in return.

Quick Reply: VCDS/Vagcom vs VCP vs OBD11