AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/)
-   -   Anyone have issues with their soft close doors? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/anyone-have-issues-their-soft-close-doors-2941782/)

AudiFanFL 02-07-2018 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Doc H (Post 25107287)
Experience in our X5s is that the door needs to be in the "almost closed" state - probably 1/4" or so from actually closing, with the door/frame in contact. The purpose I think is that if you haven't quite closed the door but think you have, soft close will snug it up to all the way closed.

That's correct. There is this physical barrier when the door starts to fall into the lock. Without the feature - like it is on many vehicles - a door can actually be locked or closed without it being completely shut. This feature should prevent that.

I was surprised by the high number of members on this forum complaining about their doors being difficult to close while I experienced the opposite.

BigKutta 02-07-2018 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by AudiFanFL (Post 25107368)
That's correct. There is this physical barrier when the door starts to fall into the lock. Without the feature - like it is on many vehicles - a door can actually be locked or closed without it being completely shut. This feature should prevent that.

I was surprised by the high number of members on this forum complaining about their doors being difficult to close while I experienced the opposite.

Almost all doors have the right technique to closing properly. Once you get the right pull and force, its always easy. I remember how hard it was when I first got my 5 series, or this Q, but closing the doors without slamming is a breeze once you get used to it. I tried the Q's soft close door feature, and felt is was way too much work that just closing it normally. But I suppose the idea is to close the door in case someone doesn't close it properly, so no accidents happen

Jim Jistel 02-09-2018 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by BigKutta (Post 25107375)
Almost all doors have the right technique to closing properly. Once you get the right pull and force, its always easy. I remember how hard it was when I first got my 5 series, or this Q, but closing the doors without slamming is a breeze once you get used to it. I tried the Q's soft close door feature, and felt is was way too much work that just closing it normally. But I suppose the idea is to close the door in case someone doesn't close it properly, so no accidents happen

Problem is when you have soft close doors your technique becomes to gently engage the latch and let the motor close the rest of the way. When you're expecting that and the door doesn't close its a PITA.

Jim Jistel 02-09-2018 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by MCSMCS1 (Post 25102304)
I had intermittent problems with the doors not closing on the driver's side only and usually just the passenger door on the left side. The dealer just replaced all 4 door latches and so far the problem hasn't recurred, but we will have to see. Where in Texas are you?

MCSMCS1 which dealer in Austin fixed your doors?

MCSMCS1 02-09-2018 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Jistel (Post 25108407)
MCSMCS1 which dealer in Austin fixed your doors?

PM sent, but Audi South short answer

Jim Jistel 02-10-2018 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by MCSMCS1 (Post 25108548)
PM sent, but Audi South short answer

PM sent but not sure it went through. I think this is a software issue.

timshuwy 02-10-2018 11:12 AM

My techniques for closing

I have three techniques for closing the doors:
1. From the inside, i simply pull it closed... if i dont pull hard enough, it closes by itself.
2. from the outside, if i don't care about noise, i just close like a regular car.
3. from the outside, if I want to be nice to my neighbors (late at night), i simply slowly push the door till it is almost closed, and the car does the rest.

I initially tried finessing my close by closing it like a regular car, only softer, but sometimes I just didn't get it close enough to start the autoclose feature. found method 3 above just worked amazing.

Jim Jistel 02-16-2018 03:40 PM

Ok after a month at the dealer and the Audi field engineer they have come to the conclusion that if you close the door somewhat rapidly the pressure wave makes the door bounce on the latch and the soft close system becomes confused and shuts down. Admittedly this is a software issue but Audi does not have a fix-it's not on their radar yet. The work around is to slow down the closing to allow the air pressure to equalize.

BigKutta 02-16-2018 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Jistel (Post 25111722)
Ok after a month at the dealer and the Audi field engineer they have come to the conclusion that if you close the door somewhat rapidly the pressure wave makes the door bounce on the latch and the soft close system becomes confused and shuts down. Admittedly this is a software issue but Audi does not have a fix-it's not on their radar yet. The work around is to slow down the closing to allow the air pressure to equalize.

That's pretty scientific. Cant argue that :)

gsobol 02-16-2018 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Jistel (Post 25111722)

It's the type of BS you use to explain when you have no clue why it's not working. It's the problem with magnatomic wave disperser which causes parabolic muon warp sensor array to incorrectly identify gluon filament flow accelerator reading in turn this creates a back pressure in the tritonic resonance prism chamber and if you are not careful the whole space ship can explode !!! What a bs....