AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/)
-   -   Car Play and Parking Sensors (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/car-play-parking-sensors-2940482/)

zoharulz 01-08-2018 07:29 AM

Car Play and Parking Sensors

Hi, I purchased a brand new 2017 Q7 in August and have been meaning to post for a while! This forum has been very helpful and just wanted to say thanks to all the contributors!

I usually plug in my iphone to use Apple car play, if for any reason my parking sensors get activated i notice that it kicks me out to the main MMI screen and i cant get back into Apple car play. The only thing that works is to unplug the phone and plug it back in! Has anyone else experienced this? An example is when i first get into the car i plug my phone and Car play comes on then i put the car in reverse to back out of the garage and the sensors come on but then after i am done reversing and i put it into Drive, it switches to the Main MMI menu and if i click on Car play it does nothing!

mccfaepdx 01-08-2018 07:54 AM

I've had my car for 8 months now and over the past 2-3 months I've noticed the same thing, something seems to have changed, perhaps ios11 release? I'm coming up to my 10k service so was going to address it with the dealership then. I'm hoping it's a SW update/reset thing that will resolve.

discogone 01-08-2018 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by zoharulz (Post 25093349)
Hi, I purchased a brand new 2017 Q7 in August and have been meaning to post for a while! This forum has been very helpful and just wanted to say thanks to all the contributors!

I usually plug in my iphone to use Apple car play, if for any reason my parking sensors get activated i notice that it kicks me out to the main MMI screen and i cant get back into Apple car play. The only thing that works is to unplug the phone and plug it back in! Has anyone else experienced this? An example is when i first get into the car i plug my phone and Car play comes on then i put the car in reverse to back out of the garage and the sensors come on but then after i am done reversing and i put it into Drive, it switches to the Main MMI menu and if i click on Car play it does nothing!

Yes, it works the same way on my Q7.

erwheezy 01-08-2018 11:06 AM

i think its an os issue. i have no problems on my work phone that is still ios10 only on my personal iphone x

jjobev 01-08-2018 05:13 PM

Same problem here. I was about to post something similar.
My 2017 used to do it occasionally but now does it every time the sensor comes on. I actually only updated to the new IOS last week and the problem had already started. I was hoping IOS update would fix. I found that if I switch to a different source like XM and then come back to menu I can now “select” CarPlay in the menu and it goes back to the CarPlay screen.

mccfaepdx 01-09-2018 08:08 AM

I did some research and it appears ios 11 and carplay was not a success for everyone. A lot of different issues across different car types, some of which have been resolved with updates. I think I have a work around for us until Tim Cook get's to our problem. This worked for me the past ~10 times it's happened and although not perfect it's WAY better than fumbling around under the armrest to reconnect the phone.

Setup:
2017 Prestige
iOS 11.2.1

Problem:
When parking sensors are activated, manually or automatically, you get kicked out of Carplay and when you try and select it again it seems to attempt to open it but fails and returns you to the main MMI screen. CarPlay does not stop playing but you cannot enter to change/see anything.

Workaround:
When you are kicked out select "Media" using the buttons on the MMI control panel. Carplay will stop playing at that moment and 1 of 2 things can happen.
1) Carplay instantly returns and you can press "Play" to continue.
2) Media menu is shown on screen. At that point I can return to main menu and select Carplay as normal.

Let me know if this works for you fols as I would still like to understand if the issue is common across multiple users or I'm the special one :)

discogone 01-09-2018 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by erwheezy (Post 25093482)
i think its an os issue. i have no problems on my work phone that is still ios10 only on my personal iphone x

My iPhone is still on iOS10, and I have the issue. I don't think this is an iOS issue since I have had this issue since I had the Q7 2 years ago (was it iOS 8?)

jjobev 01-11-2018 04:58 PM

Has anyone contacted the dealer yet. While the workaround does work, this is starting to be a pain. It did it occasionally for me before but now does it every time the parking sensor comes on, which can be quite often. I’m due for my 10k checkup in a couple more months so will mention then. Would be great to know if anyone else has had success. I realize that there can be issues with CarPlay but this isn’t working at acceptable level anymore.

bfishernc 01-11-2018 05:57 PM

Have you pushed the button on the dash to turn off the parking assists to return to CarPlay? I sometimes use CarPlay and don’t remember having any issues with this (2017 Prestige, iOS11.2.1)

discogone 01-12-2018 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by bfishernc (Post 25095219)
Have you pushed the button on the dash to turn off the parking assists to return to CarPlay? I sometimes use CarPlay and don’t remember having any issues with this (2017 Prestige, iOS11.2.1)

At least for me - I have tried this before, it did not solve the issue. Like the OP mentioned, the only solution is to unplug and plug again.

jjobev 01-12-2018 05:53 AM

It seems strange that it went from an intermittent problem for most to doing all the time for those impacted. I’m going to try re-setting CarPlay on my phone and set up again to see if that makes a difference.

zoharulz 01-15-2018 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by mccfaepdx (Post 25093946)
I did some research and it appears ios 11 and carplay was not a success for everyone. A lot of different issues across different car types, some of which have been resolved with updates. I think I have a work around for us until Tim Cook get's to our problem. This worked for me the past ~10 times it's happened and although not perfect it's WAY better than fumbling around under the armrest to reconnect the phone.

Setup:
2017 Prestige
iOS 11.2.1

Problem:
When parking sensors are activated, manually or automatically, you get kicked out of Carplay and when you try and select it again it seems to attempt to open it but fails and returns you to the main MMI screen. CarPlay does not stop playing but you cannot enter to change/see anything.

Workaround:
When you are kicked out select "Media" using the buttons on the MMI control panel. Carplay will stop playing at that moment and 1 of 2 things can happen.
1) Carplay instantly returns and you can press "Play" to continue.
2) Media menu is shown on screen. At that point I can return to main menu and select Carplay as normal.

Let me know if this works for you fols as I would still like to understand if the issue is common across multiple users or I'm the special one :)

THanks for the solution, it worked once but then i couldnt get it to work other times and i had to unplug and then plug the phone back in. Really annoying esp. when ur driving.

bfishernc 01-15-2018 07:09 AM

weird... I tried this several times over the weekend and had no issues. I wonder what's different...

Plugged in phone which was set to go to carplay. Music (Apple Music) started playing and I set up my map, picked destination, etc using the car interface. I then put in reverse, backed out of spot (cameras popped on)... put it back in gear, drove away, and my map came right back up with no issues. Music kept playing without issue and Audi interface returned properly to maps. I did this numerous times - never a hiccup.

2017 Prestige and iPhone 7 with ios 11.2.1.

zoharulz 01-16-2018 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by bfishernc (Post 25096491)
weird... I tried this several times over the weekend and had no issues. I wonder what's different...

Plugged in phone which was set to go to carplay. Music (Apple Music) started playing and I set up my map, picked destination, etc using the car interface. I then put in reverse, backed out of spot (cameras popped on)... put it back in gear, drove away, and my map came right back up with no issues. Music kept playing without issue and Audi interface returned properly to maps. I did this numerous times - never a hiccup.

2017 Prestige and iPhone 7 with ios 11.2.1.

I did some investigation yesterday and i have confirmed that the solution you proposed works if you have music streaming or playing through apple music. As you mentioned you get kicked out then you press the media button yo can then go back into car play. But if you plug your phone in and are not playing music and then kicked out the solution does not work and the only thing that works for me is to unplug and then plug the phone back in.

zoharulz 01-16-2018 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by zoharulz (Post 25097013)
I did some investigation yesterday and i have confirmed that the solution you proposed works if you have music streaming or playing through apple music. As you mentioned you get kicked out then you press the media button yo can then go back into car play. But if you plug your phone in and are not playing music and then kicked out the solution does not work and the only thing that works for me is to unplug and then plug the phone back in.

Sorry i meant solution posted by @mccfaepdx.

amchuu 01-26-2018 01:13 PM

Is there anyway to check what Audi MMI version people are running with and without these problems?

I have the same exact problem with my phone and my Q7 - need to unplug / replug after going in reverse or if sensors come active during regular driving. I use my iPhone and Car Play without any glitch at all in a Chevy Tahoe - you would think it would only perform better in a luxury car...

timshuwy 01-26-2018 03:14 PM

Similar but seemingly related... If i plug in the iPhone (ios verison 11.2.2) right after starting the car, MMI auto switches to iphone music. Once this happens it has been impossible to switch back to regular radio until I stop/start ignition again...
if I wait until I have the radio going, I believe that plugging the apple in later does NOT take over the system.

bfishernc 01-26-2018 06:52 PM

That’s weird... I have not seen this issue at all. I can hit the radio toggle and it works. 2017 Prestige, iOS11.2.2

medicsource 02-10-2018 10:50 AM

Has anyone been to the dealer about this yet? It is driving me nuts.

When I am driving in town in lanes of traffic, my front sensors occasionally flash up very briefly then MMI kicks me out of carplay screen. After reading this thread today, I can usually switch to MEDIA or RADIO and switch back, but not every time.

On a similar theme, my front sensors seem to be really sensitive all of a sudden. Bleep every time I pull off my drive (which slopes down to the road), which it never used to do!

erwheezy 02-12-2018 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by medicsource (Post 25108726)
Has anyone been to the dealer about this yet? It is driving me nuts.

When I am driving in town in lanes of traffic, my front sensors occasionally flash up very briefly then MMI kicks me out of carplay screen. After reading this thread today, I can usually switch to MEDIA or RADIO and switch back, but not every time.

On a similar theme, my front sensors seem to be really sensitive all of a sudden. Bleep every time I pull off my drive (which slopes down to the road), which it never used to do!

had my Q7 at the dealer last week. reported the issue, picked the vehicle up and was told there was a software update to correct the issue. they did not fix the problem it's still kicking me out of carplay after the cameras turn on.

mccfaepdx 02-12-2018 07:55 AM

Booked in for my 10k service next week, I'll report back after. This is top of my short list of grips about a car I love, its infuriating.

sethz 02-13-2018 07:08 PM

I posted this in another section but figured I would add it here. Still, have the same problem with the proximity sensors, but this is working for me so far. CarPlay dropping out is annoying! I noticed that with iOS 11.2 that Carplay would disconnect a lot. Tonight, I tried some things in the connection manager. In the Settings, Connection Manager, under MMI Connect App, I de-selected my iPhone from it. This seemed to make Carplay more stable. However, I did notice that when the proximity sensors and popup graphic show up, that I am not able to get back to CarPlay. I have to go back to the connection manager and select my iPhone under Audi Smartphone. I am attaching a picture of the selection screen in the MMI Connection manager to show the "Not Connected" status of the MMI connect App.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...3e6f2abc91.jpg

NOT selecting a mobile device or the MMI connect App selection appears to reduce the amount of CarPlay drops. It does drop out when the proximity sensors come on. You can get back to CarPlay (at this time) by re-selecting your iPhone in the Connection Manager (at least for me on my 2017 Q7)
Hopefully, there will be some software updates in both the MMI as well as iOS that might fix this. This is the best that I could find right now. If anything else changes or improves I will update my post.

jjobev 02-23-2018 05:42 PM

CarPlay

I’m taking my vehicle in next week for 10k service. This is one of the issues on my list. Has anyone had any luck with a fix from the dealer?

sethz 02-23-2018 06:22 PM

Good luck!

Originally Posted by jjobev (Post 25115257)
I’m taking my vehicle in next week for 10k service. This is one of the issues on my list. Has anyone had any luck with a fix from the dealer?

I took mine in for some squealing breaks (brand new car) when going backward in temperatures under 61 degrees. I also had complained about the graphics mode coming on after I had selected the camera mode. I was told there was a new update, which was installed, my parking sensors sensitivity seems to have decreased, and the CarPlay issue is still happening. I thought I had a fix with my previous post but that isn't working. I am not sure if the MMI needs an upgrade or if there is an issue with iOS. For the last few days, I haven't plugged my phone in at all. I am a recording engineer with the Premium Plus Q7 and basic radio (ICK!!!!) so it's pretty quiet in my car! Of course, without plugging in, I have no issues! I do hope that maybe with this newer version of iOS 11 coming out maybe, just maybe there will be a fix. I have heard of other vehicle owners complaining about connectivity issues with CarPlay. Definitely, bring it up and see what they say.

jjobev 02-23-2018 06:34 PM

I have noticed that people are having the same problems on the Q5 forums and haven’t seen any true solutions there either.

bfishernc 02-24-2018 04:32 AM

If you play Apple music through your phone, do you still have problems? I haven’t had any issues with CarPlay, but I always use it for music (or podcasts, or Sirius (through the phone))

jjobev 02-24-2018 04:39 AM

My problems are across the board of all options on CarPlay. Used to work perfectly since July, But over the last 2 months I started having intermittent problems with the sensors making it so CarPlay screen couldn’t be accessed. Now it is every time. Also now even using the “mode” trick doesn’t always work. Is also had an issue earlier in the week where I couldn’t get any audio sound through the speakers from any source. Eventually started working after driving for an hour with no music and then parking and starting car again. Very frustrating. I re set the MMI multiple times with no luck and had tried parking and restarting the car shortly after the problem started but was driving to a meeting and didn’t have time to mess around. I actually think this is triggered when trying to use Waze as that is when I’ve had the no sound problem before but only intermittent.

bfishernc 02-24-2018 06:48 PM

I assume you’ve already done this... but I would remove the phone from the car system, remove the car from your phone, change lightening cables, maybe even change ports in the car, reset the car memory (remove all contacts, phones, etc)... and start all over. Just to make sure it isn’t something simple messed up

emptybottle 03-03-2018 01:41 PM

same problem with CarPlay and parking mode - reply from dealer

I have the same problem with parking mode and CarPlay on my 2018 S5. Took it to dealer three times before they could admit its a problem with the car. They said that they contacted Audi about it and its being worked on.

Here's the service summary:

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...75fb3a4374.jpg

Let me know if anyone hears anything!

J

jjobev 03-03-2018 01:47 PM

I had my 10k service and received similar message. I talked to Shop Foreman and he said it is a known issue and audi is working on it and I will be notified once there is a fix.

eettare 03-03-2018 03:13 PM

Current iPhone software is 11.2.6, is anyone running this version having issues?

jjobev 03-03-2018 06:52 PM

That is my version also. Has happened before and after upgrades. Happened with IOS 10 version that I held out on upgrading for a while. Was hoping upgrade would help but no luck.

FairwellQ7TDI 03-05-2018 09:43 AM

I've been having this problem since the day I took possession of the car one year ago. It used to be intermittent, now it's constant. Maybe Audi had Google put a little bug into the system to try to get more people to sign back up for Audi Connect in order to get BASIC traffic. It's another VW defeat device, though this one is simply to make all of us owners feel so defeated, that we just give up and pay for a service that we should never be charged for in the first place!

Ok, rant over...thank you for your time everyone. I too will check back once i have the time to bring this up with the dealer. Totally forgot to mention it during the 10k service.

mccfaepdx 03-12-2018 09:15 AM

Went in for 10k service last month and showed them this issue. Returned to pick up car and they tried to tell me it was a known issue when streaming apple music via iphone. Huh?!?!?! This was nothing close to the issue I showed them. They then tried to blame the Apple SW. I went with shop foreman to a Q7 on the showroom floor where carplay and proximity sensors worked as intended with my phone. Service department then wanted my car back again to look at it some more.

I returned the car to the shop on Saturday and since my initial complaint it appears others have complained of similar/same issue. My sales guy was there this time and was great, he really wanted to figure this out and spent some time with my car and others that worked normally. He had an iphone with iOS 10 which worked on all cars, my phone with 11.2.6 worked on a Q7 and A4 but not on my Q7. So it appears to be a combination of iOS11 and something with the car. Audi are aware of it and apparently have a number of resources working on it. I'll keep you updated with what happens but for everyone else I would recommend getting your issue logged with Audi to gain momentum with this. If they try and state it's an Apple SW issue try your phone on different car at the dealership to show there is something different about these cars that Audi surely owns.

bkafrick 03-12-2018 02:21 PM

Call me lucky, but I have not experienced this issue at all.

Running latest version of iOS (11.2.6).

I did have a disconnecting issue before, but swapped lightning cables, and everything worked again.

Never have had an issue with the parking sensors kicking me out of Carplay though... knock on wood.

bfishernc 03-14-2018 03:10 AM

My parking sensors never automatically kick on, except when in reverse. I can manually turn them on with the dash button when I need them. I’m assuming this is a setting... maybe it would help this situation?

gsobol 03-14-2018 07:24 AM

Activate parking screen manually, then use right drawer (on the touch pad), there is setting for activate automatically.

bfishernc 03-14-2018 05:52 PM

Sorry, my suggestion was for people to turn it off to stop the issue they are complaining about (not asking how to turn it on)

FairwellQ7TDI 03-20-2018 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by bfishernc (Post 25123954)
Sorry, my suggestion was for people to turn it off to stop the issue they are complaining about (not asking how to turn it on)

This doesn’t help those of us who mount our phones and start music/maps before backing out of thedriveway. Once I switch into reverse, there’s no going back and I need unplug and replug my phone in. This should not be necessary and certainly hasn’t happened on the half dozen other cars I’ve drive with Apple Car Play. While your suggestion may be a patch, we are looking for real solutions here. This is not a silly complaint for a $70k vehicle.

bkafrick 03-21-2018 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by FairwellQ7TDI (Post 25126306)
This doesn’t help those of us who mount our phones and start music/maps before backing out of thedriveway. Once I switch into reverse, there’s no going back and I need unplug and replug my phone in. This should not be necessary and certainly hasn’t happened on the half dozen other cars I’ve drive with Apple Car Play. While your suggestion may be a patch, we are looking for real solutions here. This is not a silly complaint for a $70k vehicle.

I'm really trying to figure out why other people have this issue, while I have none. I have the latest iOS, but I have a 2017 model. Maybe y'all having issues are in the 2018 version? Different MMI software?