AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/)
-   -   Is the panorama roof laminated or tempered glass? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/panorama-roof-laminated-tempered-glass-2897775/)

kip1 03-24-2016 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rimas. (Post 24792041)
Therefore I'm going to order non tinted windows and apply an aftermarket tint. By the way - that was an advise of the local dealer if I'd like to have the best possible noise insulation. The demo car I've tried have had a pano and I liked it very much. But now I'm thinking that it might void laminated windows advantages.

Again my thoughts exactly. However, I really have never been totally satisfied with non factory tinting quality. I am a little afraid how it might looks with time bubble formation etc...

Rimas. 03-24-2016 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by kip1 (Post 24792066)
Again my thoughts exactly. However, I really have never been totally satisfied with non factory tinting quality. I am a little afraid how it might looks with time bubble formation etc...

I have tinted rear windows on my 1st gen Q7 at the local tint shop. No problems (bubbles etc) for 6 years so far.

kip1 03-24-2016 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rimas. (Post 24792071)
I have tinted rear windows on my 1st gen Q7 at the local tint shop. No problems (bubbles etc) for 6 years so far.

Nice. Contacted my dealer. I just wonder why Audi doesnt offer it, what is the potential problem?

Rimas. 03-24-2016 12:17 PM

Yeah. I was curious about that too. Tinted windows are good. Laminated even better. So why not to have both at the same time. I suspect that there might be some problems with tint coating on laminated glasses or something. However that is just my guess.

kip1 03-24-2016 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Rimas. (Post 24792079)
Yeah. I was curious about that too. Tinted windows are good. Laminated even better. So why not to have both at the same time. I suspect that there might be some problems with tint coating on laminated glasses or something. However that is just my guess.

Exactly the problems I dont want...

kip1 03-24-2016 12:24 PM

Just checked a few tinting firms, many say laminated glass should be tinted with extreme caution, the film heats and may crack the window. I think Ill pass, sadly.

Rimas. 03-24-2016 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by kip1 (Post 24792086)
Just checked a few tinting firms, many say laminated glass should be tinted with extreme caution, the film heats and may crack the window. I think Ill pass, sadly.

Hm. Didn't thought about that. Need to investigate deeper :/
Are you going to get tinted over laminated or vice versa?

kip1 03-31-2016 09:36 AM

So Audi sells 5% mirror/tint as an accessory for the Q7 so Audi officially has nothing against aftermarket tinting, so I went for full lamination and aftermarket tint.