AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/)
-   -   Q7 vs Q8 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/q7-vs-q8-2960328/)

RJC 1 10-08-2018 05:34 PM

Q7 vs Q8

Ordered a '19 Q7 w/msrp of about $83k...I see a Q8 ordered the same way is only 8k more...any reason I shouldn't go for an 8?
What makes the 7/8 better?

RJC 1 10-08-2018 05:54 PM

I just read the 8 has significantly more torque than the 7...hmmm.

Wires 10-08-2018 05:59 PM

I believe the Q8 gives you the full autonomous driving as well (as well as touchscreens).

AudiFanFL 10-08-2018 06:04 PM

For MY19, the Q8 certainly has the advanced technology. I guess it all boils down to how much you need the cargo/room capabilities of the Q7.

The Q8 will be more fun to drive. So if you want a driver's SUV and the latest tech, the Q8 wins. If you want the better bang for the buck and the utility of a bigger SUV, the Q7 wins. Only you can make that call.

Personally, I would have a hard time right now buying an $80K+ Q7 considering the MY20 facelift.

AudiFanFL 10-08-2018 06:17 PM

Will also be interesting to see how the lease-offers on the Q8 will be compared to the Q7.

RJC 1 10-08-2018 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by AudiFanFL (Post 25221509)
For MY19, the Q8 certainly has the advanced technology. I guess it all boils down to how much you need the cargo/room capabilities of the Q7.

The Q8 will be more fun to drive. So if you want a driver's SUV and the latest tech, the Q8 wins. If you want the better bang for the buck and the utility of a bigger SUV, the Q7 wins. Only you can make that call.

Personally, I would have a hard time right now buying an $80K+ Q7 considering the MY20 facelift.

Agree but I need to replace my 17 soon and facelifts are generally minor; plus I ordered the new 22's (first time available here) which should help. I don't like the frameless windows on the Q8 and prefer the retro buttons/switches on the q7 vs the giant touch screen. I am a cash buyer and know the q8 will hold its value better than the 7 for the first few years especially with a facelift so near. Maybe when my q7 comes in I'll switch it for an 8? sigh...

RJC 1 10-08-2018 06:32 PM

just read our beloved supercharged 3.0 is replaced with a turbo engine (hence the extra trq), not so sure I'd like giving up the instant response of the supercharged one. hmm, the plot thickens,

AudiFanFL 10-08-2018 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by RJC 1 (Post 25221513)
Agree but I need to replace my 17 soon and facelifts are generally minor; plus I ordered the new 22's (first time available here) which should help. I don't like the frameless windows on the Q8 and prefer the retro buttons/switches on the q7 vs the giant touch screen. I am a cash buyer and know the q8 will hold its value better than the 7 for the first few years especially with a facelift so near. Maybe when my q7 comes in I'll switch it for an 8? sigh...

If you like the current MMI layout better, that's a different story.

Plus, in regards to pricing, I would not be so sure if you could get the same discount on the Q8 as currently available on the Q7 which would add to the difference in price.

I have to say though that the Q8 is a positive surprise in regards to pricing. Unless you compare basic models, the price difference isn't too bad. I know that my next ride will be slightly cheaper than my current Q7 and a nicely equipped Q8 which is lacking a few options I have right now (premium B&O, Luxury Package and Nightvision) but also adds some (new tech, leather dash, 21" wheels, painted brake calipers) is already $7K less than my current Q7. Equally equipped, it's almost a wash.

That makes me optimistic for the MY20 Q7.

RJC 1 10-08-2018 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by AudiFanFL (Post 25221523)
If you like the current MMI layout better, that's a different story.

Plus, in regards to pricing, I would not be so sure if you could get the same discount on the Q8 as currently available on the Q7 which would add to the difference in price.

I have to say though that the Q8 is a positive surprise in regards to pricing. Unless you compare basic models, the price difference isn't too bad. I know that my next ride will be slightly cheaper than my current Q7 and a nicely equipped Q8 which is lacking a few options I have right now (premium B&O, Luxury Package and Nightvision) but also adds some (new tech, leather dash, 21" wheels, painted brake calipers) is already $7K less than my current Q7. Equally equipped, it's almost a wash.

That makes me optimistic for the MY20 Q7.

Yes, indeed. I was told $100k+, with that said it makes the Q8 tempting. When will they be here?

smacky 10-08-2018 10:35 PM

Q8 has the more powerful engine. I think the turbo is going to be more fun to drive than our SC.

I just don't like the looks of the Q8 so no remorse from me for choosing the 7 over waiting for 8 last winter.

sickk23 10-09-2018 04:53 AM

Supercharger vs turbo

Q8 has a better interior hands down.

Q7 is a school lane drop off car while the Q8 (will be doing the same things, no doubt) looks more like a niche performance, enthusiast cuv.

Knowing Audi, the lease deals will suck for some time on the Q8 because it’s all new.

Wires 10-09-2018 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by AudiFanFL (Post 25221512)
Will also be interesting to see how the lease-offers on the Q8 will be compared to the Q7.

Those will be poor for the initial release. All manufacturers offer lease/finance rates below prime when they have a lot of margin to spare, and they have a surplus of vehicles they need to move. With the Q8 being new, and you have to pre-order, rates will most likely be high (6-8%).

RyanCC 10-09-2018 05:42 AM

If performance and style are what you want and dont need 7 seats, Q8 wins hands down.

RJC 1 10-09-2018 08:15 AM

I like the interior of the 7 better...don't like the all touch screen stuff, too plasticly and they get very dirty from finger smudges etc., I also like the excellent feel of the buttons, knobs and switches audi uses in the dash/console area.

I like a supercharged engine vs turbo for the kind of in city driving we do, but the extra trq of the new turbo motor is significant and most welcome.

I don't like frameless windows.

I like the idea the Q8 is wider with a lower stance and only 3 inches shorter.

I 'd imagine the Q8 will hold its value better which is important because I am a cash buyer..

From the pics the Q8 looks nicer, but I will reserve final judgment until I can actually see it in the flesh. Anyone know when they will be here?

Decisions, decisions...

BlackOptic 10-09-2018 08:40 AM

FWIW...

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...20965ecef1.png

[edit: updated with Mk1 and Mk 2 Q7]

gsobol 10-09-2018 12:20 PM

Could you add 2016+ MKII Q7 to the comparison instead of the previous gen?

BlackOptic 10-09-2018 01:23 PM

Updated ^^

Originally Posted by RJC 1 (Post 25221715)
...I also like the excellent feel of the buttons, knobs and switches...

Also... Don't we all reach for buttons/knobs/switches without having to take our eyes off the road? I worry that we will be distracted in moving eyes off the road to do basic functions like turn up the volume, zoom in on a map, fast forward past a song, etc. Yes, I realize some of these functions are on the steering wheel... but, a sea of touch screens worry me some.

RJC 1 10-09-2018 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by BlackOptic (Post 25221859)
Updated ^^

Also... Don't we all reach for buttons/knobs/switches without having to take our eyes off the road? I worry that we will be distracted in moving eyes off the road to do basic functions like turn up the volume, zoom in on a map, fast forward past a song, etc. Yes, I realize some of these functions are on the steering wheel... but, a sea of touch screens worry me some.

+1

geko29 10-10-2018 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by RJC 1 (Post 25221715)
I 'd imagine the Q8 will hold its value better which is important because I am a cash buyer..

Slower depreciation is a benefit no matter what kind of buyer you are. Whether you pay cash or take an 8-year loan, a higher resale value is equally beneficial.

RJC 1 10-10-2018 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by geko29 (Post 25222067)
Slower depreciation is a benefit no matter what kind of buyer you are. Whether you pay cash or take an 8-year loan, a higher resale value is equally beneficial.

Indeed, but it's more beneficial to the cash buyer since the expenditure is much greater and all up front. Geez, it seems like the 8 may be the way for me to go...really still luv the 7 though.
Do you/anyone know when the Q8 will be in US showrooms?

SYMAWD 10-10-2018 06:22 PM

It's hard to say until we get to see/ drive the Q8. With the Q7 you get the supercharged engine which I love. The turbo 3.0t is laggier down low in comparison (at least in its S model applications) but it's hard to say until we drive the Q8. The Q8 will obviously benefit from having the newest technology available and the new touchscreen setup is fantastic and easy to use, although I have not used it while driving.

RJC 1 10-10-2018 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by SYMAWD (Post 25222415)
It's hard to say until we get to see/ drive the Q8. With the Q7 you get the supercharged engine which I love. The turbo 3.0t is laggier down low in comparison (at least in its S model applications) but it's hard to say until we drive the Q8. The Q8 will obviously benefit from having the newest technology available and the new touchscreen setup is fantastic and easy to use, although I have not used it while driving.

When will we see the 8's in the showrooms here and how much is the 22 option when ordering B/O? Price was na when I ordered. Thanks.

SYMAWD 10-10-2018 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by RJC 1 (Post 25222433)
When will we see the 8's in the showrooms here and how much is the 22 option when ordering B/O? Price was na when I ordered. Thanks.

The only way to get black optic on the Q8 is the year one package which already includes 22" wheels. No idea when the cars will arrive though.

geko29 10-11-2018 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by RJC 1 (Post 25222308)
Indeed, but it's more beneficial to the cash buyer since the expenditure is much greater and all up front.

No. It makes no difference. Money is fungible. This is the same fallacy that makes people think they did better on their house if they had more equity when they sold it. If you buy a car for $80k and sell it for $50k, you lost $30k to depreciation. That value doesn't change whether you owe $60k or $0 at the time of sale.

The only difference between the financial position in real dollars of the person who paid cash vs. financed--after the vehicle has been resold--is the spread between the rate of inflation and the interest rate on the loan during the holding period. With the exception of 0% loans, this relatively small gap is almost always in favor of the cash buyer. But the vehicle's depreciation is a constant, not a variable, in that equation.

parkstr8 10-11-2018 07:10 AM

I have an 18 Q7 Prestige. I just spent a week with a loaded Range Rover Sport with the driver display and center stack dual screens. I know RR VS Audi has variances. But the RR systems - all of them - sucked. The screens were constantly collecting fingerprints and dust...and the load time (each time you started the car, ETC.) was horrible. Also - the haptics were inconsistent, it easily got confused, and I could not believe how long you had to take your eyes off the road to make ANY changes to anything. I'm an advanced user with short onboarding to get a system. Now I know Audi will be better...but having it for a week confirmed I will never have a car with those screens. I dumped my tuned and wrapped 2016 S6 as I knew I did not want them in the new S6/S7/RS7.

The Q7 infotainment is a near perfect balance of looks, functionality, and speed. The new BMW X5, and the Volvo XC90 RDesign got the dash right. The rest of the RR Sport was also a HUGE disappointment. It only had 6k on the clock, but it rattled, squeaked, the engine and tranny were a disaster in Los Angeles traffic, and it was a gas hog in the worst way.

Either Audi is a better car in EVERY way.
Just my .02.

RJC 1 10-11-2018 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by geko29 (Post 25222533)
No. It makes no difference. Money is fungible. This is the same fallacy that makes people think they did better on their house if they had more equity when they sold it. If you buy a car for $80k and sell it for $50k, you lost $30k to depreciation. That value doesn't change whether you owe $60k or $0 at the time of sale.

The only difference between the financial position in real dollars of the person who paid cash vs. financed--after the vehicle has been resold--is the spread between the rate of inflation and the interest rate on the loan during the holding period. With the exception of 0% loans, this relatively small gap is almost always in favor of the cash buyer. But the vehicle's depreciation is a constant, not a variable, in that equation.

if someone leases a car and is responsible for a $30,000 total expenditure for the lease period and no more, vs someone who pays $75,000.00 in cash up front, the person laying out $75,000 has much more skin in the game/capital at risk. EOS
This is also getting way off topic from the purpose of my thread: comparing the Q7 v Q8.

RJC 1 10-11-2018 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by parkstr8 (Post 25222592)
I have an 18 Q7 Prestige. I just spent a week with a loaded Range Rover Sport with the driver display and center stack dual screens. I know RR VS Audi has variances. But the RR systems - all of them - sucked. The screens were constantly collecting fingerprints and dust...and the load time (each time you started the car, ETC.) was horrible. Also - the haptics were inconsistent, it easily got confused, and I could not believe how long you had to take your eyes off the road to make ANY changes to anything. I'm an advanced user with short onboarding to get a system. Now I know Audi will be better...but having it for a week confirmed I will never have a car with those screens. I dumped my tuned and wrapped 2016 S6 as I knew I did not want them in the new S6/S7/RS7.

The Q7 infotainment is a near perfect balance of looks, functionality, and speed. The new BMW X5, and the Volvo XC90 RDesign got the dash right. The rest of the RR Sport was also a HUGE disappointment. It only had 6k on the clock, but it rattled, squeaked, the engine and tranny were a disaster in Los Angeles traffic, and it was a gas hog in the worst way.

Either Audi is a better car in EVERY way.
Just my .02.

+1 on all counts

RJC 1 10-11-2018 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by SYMAWD (Post 25222440)
The only way to get black optic on the Q8 is the year one package which already includes 22" wheels. No idea when the cars will arrive though.

Thanks, any educated guesses on ETA's? I have a 19 Q7 on order due sometime late this year early next I might want to switch for a Q8 before I take delivery.

SYMAWD 10-11-2018 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by RJC 1 (Post 25222671)
Thanks, any educated guesses on ETA's? I have a 19 Q7 on order due sometime late this year early next I might want to switch for a Q8 before I take delivery.

Should be by the of the year but really can't say when with any certainty. The sooner the better though because I feel like dealer stock is just Q5s and Q7s at this point.

RJC 1 10-11-2018 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by SYMAWD (Post 25222679)
Should be by the of the year but really can't say when with any certainty. The sooner the better though because I feel like dealer stock is just Q5s and Q7s at this point.

Thanks. Looking forward to driving/comparing them both back to back.

Meyecul 10-11-2018 01:18 PM

Based on the initial drive tests online that I have seen, I have a feeling from strictly a “driving perspective” those that are expecting some kind big increase in driving experience or performance in the Q8 vs the Q7 are going to be a left a bit underwhelmed. At least at this point I have not read or seen any drive test say anything that really sets the driving experience between the two vehicles apart much. So I am guessing the latest Audi tech / mmi and the body styling are going to be main selling point differences between the two.

RJC 1 10-11-2018 07:34 PM

Just read Q8 gets dual pane glass as part of lux!

sickk23 10-12-2018 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by RJC 1 (Post 25222828)
Just read Q8 gets dual pane glass as part of lux!

The Q7 doesn’t have this at all right?

gsobol 10-12-2018 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by sickk23 (Post 25222865)

The Q7 doesn’t have this at all right?

It does, just not for NA.

BigKutta 10-12-2018 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Meyecul (Post 25222723)
Based on the initial drive tests online that I have seen, I have a feeling from strictly a “driving perspective” those that are expecting some kind big increase in driving experience or performance in the Q8 vs the Q7 are going to be a left a bit underwhelmed. At least at this point I have not read or seen any drive test say anything that really sets the driving experience between the two vehicles apart much. So I am guessing the latest Audi tech / mmi and the body styling are going to be main selling point differences between the two.

Agreed. Based on the reviews I've seen, the drive will not blow you away. The ride is SUV like and suspension is busy just like the Q7. I think the biggest difference inside will be the touch MMI

ConservativeConsumer 10-12-2018 06:53 AM

IMO the Q8 is nothing more than monkeying of X6 presence in the BMW line of offerings. Nothing revolutionary, but different looks: X5/X6 and Q7/Q8.

Doc H 10-12-2018 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by BigKutta (Post 25222933)
Agreed. Based on the reviews I've seen, the drive will not blow you away. The ride is SUV like and suspension is busy just like the Q7. I think the biggest difference inside will be the touch MMI

And space/cargo capacity.

AudiFanFL 10-12-2018 07:08 AM

Yeah, I have the feeling that the two will be very close but the Q7 delivers the better bang for the buck. If I would have to make a decision right know, it would be difficult. Once the Q7 gets the updated MMI for MY20, it will be my favorite again - no question.

Brimstone 10-12-2018 07:38 AM

From my perspective the Q7 is a family hauler, the Q8 is an oversized sedan. Since I have a family I'd only even think about the Q8 if it were significantly cheaper than the Q7 which it isn't.

jrjunior31 11-28-2018 07:40 PM

Daytona Q8