A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Dealership won't provide 10 digit Vehicle Code

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Dealership won't provide 10 digit Vehicle Code

Hi all. I'm attempting to set up a Key User for my Audi Connect (for mobile app purposes). It requires a 10 digit Vehicle Code that comes from the scratch off piece with the key fob. However, I purchased this car used (from an Audi dealership), and they did not provide the code. I contacted them and they said they don't have the code, and if I wanted to order a new one, I would have to pay for it.

From my view, it was never given to me, so I don't feel I should be responsible for payment.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.

Last edited by chemengin; 04-11-2018 at 09:22 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 04-11-2018, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by chemengin
Hi all. I'm attempting to set up a Key User for my Audi Connect (for mobile app purposes). It requires a 10 digit Vehicle Code that comes from the scratch off piece with the key fob. However, I purchased this car used (from an Audi dealership), and they did not provide the code. I contacted them and they said they don't have the code, and if I wanted to order a new one, I would have to pay for it.

From my view, it was never given to me, so I don't feel I should be responsible for payment.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.
Charging you for this sounds fishy indeed. The Audi Connect service costs money. Why you would be asked to pay money just to "enable" the right to pay even more money (aka enable the ability to activate an AC subscription) is beyond me.

I would just skip the dealer and call Audi Customer Service. They can likely get you all sorted right over the phone for no charge (beyond the subscription itself), and if so, I would absolutely mention that the Audi dealer tried to charge you for this service on a car you bought from them.

Audi USA customer support
(800) 822-2834
(800) 822-AUDI
Monday-Friday, 8am – 10pm (EST)
Saturday, 10am – 7pm (EST)
The following users liked this post:
creativecarter (11-18-2020)
Old 04-11-2018, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

happened to me dealer forgot to give it to me and refused to give me one but i kept fighting for it and finally they gave me one reason being its so hard to get one you cant just get a number it comes from germany so i had to fight and fight until they gave up
Old 04-11-2018, 11:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a certified pre-owned A4 and it didn't come with the code. I had to order it through the dealer, It took about 3 days and cost about $95.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks everyone. Crazy they make you pay for it when it wasn't even provided in the first place.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
Charging you for this sounds fishy indeed. The Audi Connect service costs money. Why you would be asked to pay money just to "enable" the right to pay even more money (aka enable the ability to activate an AC subscription) is beyond me.

I would just skip the dealer and call Audi Customer Service. They can likely get you all sorted right over the phone for no charge (beyond the subscription itself), and if so, I would absolutely mention that the Audi dealer tried to charge you for this service on a car you bought from them.

Audi USA customer support
(800) 822-2834
(800) 822-AUDI
Monday-Friday, 8am – 10pm (EST)
Saturday, 10am – 7pm (EST)
Can I ask how much you pay? Curious about this because I posted here recently about buying a used A4 B9, the Connect licences had expired and I had to go through Audi CS to get them renewed.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishAudiGuy
Can I ask how much you pay? Curious about this because I posted here recently about buying a used A4 B9, the Connect licences had expired and I had to go through Audi CS to get them renewed.
Everyone who wants it pays the same thing. See https://www.audiusa.com/technology/i...e/audi-connect -- the pricing is at the bottom.

TLDR:
$199 for 6 months, or $499 for 18 months. This gains you access to the basic AudiConnect services such as traffic info on the Nav, Google Earth, the mobile app, etc etc. Yes, we know, it is extremely expensive and the take rate on it is very low. The data used by these services is included in the price of the plan, and it also includes a "complimentary" 6GB of data (total, not per month) that you are allowed to use with the in-car hotspot should you choose to activate it.

It's then an extra $20/mo recurring on top of that to activate unlimited data for plan the in-car Wifi hot spot. This is an even more unpopular feature due to the fact that most smartphones have unlimited data nowadays anyway, but I can see a potential value proposition for people planning to take a Q7 full of kids across the country on a road trip and want to make sure they can get on the internet so their Nintendo Switches can get online.

Edit: worth noting this is in the US. Pricing and plan structure is different from country to country.

Last edited by mplsbrian; 04-11-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
Everyone who wants it pays the same thing. See https://www.audiusa.com/technology/i...e/audi-connect -- the pricing is at the bottom.

TLDR:
$199 for 6 months, or $499 for 18 months. This gains you access to the basic AudiConnect services such as traffic info on the Nav, Google Earth, the mobile app, etc etc. Yes, we know, it is extremely expensive and the take rate on it is very low. The data used by these services is included in the price of the plan, and it also includes a "complimentary" 6GB of data (total, not per month) that you are allowed to use with the in-car hotspot should you choose to activate it.

It's then an extra $20/mo recurring on top of that to activate unlimited data for plan the in-car Wifi hot spot. This is an even more unpopular feature due to the fact that most smartphones have unlimited data nowadays anyway, but I can see a potential value proposition for people planning to take a Q7 full of kids across the country on a road trip and want to make sure they can get on the internet so their Nintendo Switches can get online.

Edit: worth noting this is in the US. Pricing and plan structure is different from country to country.
Wow!

I knew you guys were being charged but those fees are insane.

I've just bought a B9 here in Ireland. The Connect licences had expired and trying to get them renewed was a pain because Audi CS kept coming back with 'buy a new licence' and there is literally no method to do so here. In the end, the dealer admitted they would go back to Germany and get the licences renewed ... for free. There is no charge here for any of the services.

I don't get why this flies in the US. In Europe this would hit sales badly. Perhaps because the cars are cheaper there?! Seems really unfair to have that pricing in one region though. No wonder, as you say, there's limited take-up.

Edit: to be clear, I'm talking about Audi Connect services. Still need a SIM or attach a phone to have internet access.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Yea Audi connect is way too expensive. I just realised from mplsbrian’s post that $500 was for 1.5 yrs. I thought it was for 3 years. Way too expensive and not worth it. It also sucks that in the new platform you cannot use an external sim card to run google earth. I can do that in my A7 and I have google earth on it.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Audi Connect is one thing. The other thing is the usage of the Audi MMI app, which requires a 10 digit vehicle code. For those who didn't purchase the car new, the dealership won't provide a new 10 digit code. It sounds like it's around $90-95? to get a new code, in addition to the already high price for Audi Connect.

Quick Reply: Dealership won't provide 10 digit Vehicle Code