September 5, 2008
Source: Audi of America
INFO IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE
Key Summary Points
- The Audi A3 is freshened for a September launch (U.S. launch was May 2005)
- The Audi A3 now adds quattro all-wheel drive in its volume 2.0 TFSI setup combined with S tronic double clutch transmission
- Audi Magnetic Ride option enhances ride/handling competence
- Key competitors are Mini Cooper/Cooper S, Volvo C30 and S40, and BMW 1-series.
- Audi signature LED daytime running lights.
- Sporty proportions and muscular stance.
- Reduced front overhang adds to visual sportiness.
- Enhanced exterior and interior design, new wheel program.
- Versatile interior design.
- Optional Audi Magnetic Ride, also used in Audi TT since Spring 2007, adds to handling capabilities
- Consistent use of high-strength and ultra-high strength steel grades for a highly rigid occupant cell with optimized deformation properties.
- 2.0 TFSI direct injection engine with manual or S tronic (aka DSG)
Stats: 200 hp, 207 lb-ft torque
- Manual front-wheel drive
- S tronic front-wheel drive
- S tronic quattro permanent all-wheel drive (new)
- 3.2 V6 engine with quattro permanent all-wheel drive with S tronic
Stats: 250 hp, 236 lb-ft; 0-60 mph in 5.9 seconds (S tronic); city/hwy 18/25
Standard Equipment Changes with 2009 A3 for USA
- Hill-hold assist now standard on 2.0T manual (already standard on S tronic models)
- Sirius satellite radio – now standard on all
- Leather seating surfaces – now standard on all
- Flexmetallic interior trim – replaces Matte interior trim on 2.0
- Leather steering wheel – now standard
- Aux audio input standard on all
- Ashtray / Smoker pkg deleted on all (replaced with storage tray)
- 3.2 only: Standard Bluetooth, Bi-xenon headlamps with LED DRL, and Open Sky
- 3.2 only: No longer standard Symphony, Sport Suspension, Sport Seats
Launch Timing and Pricing
- USA Audi A3 goes on sale third quarter 2008 as a 2009 model year vehicle. It will be built in Ingolstadt, Germany.
- Discussion Forum: Audi A3
- Photo Gallery: A3 Sportback