April 19, 2008
Source: Audi of America
VERSION DATE: April 14, 2008
INFO IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE
- The Audi Q5 builds on the foundation established by the Audi Q7, and strengthens Audi’s presence in the SUV segment.
- The Audi Q5 will be offered in the USA as a 3.2 V6 FSI direct injection with quattro® all wheel drive and a six speed Tiptronic transmission.
- The Audi Q5 will be the first Audi offering with Generation 3 MMI, and navigation with real-time traffic information.
- The Audi Q5 belongs to the IHG Small SUV segment, which is forecasted to grow dramatically over the next few years as new entrants arrive and customers replace their luxury sedans for luxury crossovers.
- Key competitors are BMW X3, Infiniti EX35, Land Rover LR2 HSE, Lexus RX350, and the upcoming Mercedes Benz GLK and Volvo XC60.
- Sporty proportions and muscular stance due to long wheelbase and wide body design.
- Reduced front overhang adds to visual sportiness.
- Elimination of roof joint strip, which lends to a high visual quality and minimized airflow noises.
- Typical Audi interior design is modern and sophisticated, with clear attention to detail
- Standard 18″ wheels, full body monochromatic paint, LED taillights, and aluminum exterior trim.
- New modular chassis architecture with longer wheelbase and wider track
- Consistent use of high-strength and ultra-high strength steel grades for a highly rigid occupant cell with optimized deformation properties.
- Hood and tailgate made from aluminum for lower weight and reduced opening and closing forces.
- Extensive aluminum suspension componentry to reduce unsprung weight and enhance steering feel.
- Compact trapezoidal-link rear suspension which enables a low cargo load floor and high luggage capacity.
- 3.2L V6 specifications:
- FSI direct injection
- Audi Valvelift System (AVS) variable intake valve lift
- 265hp – 243 lb-ft (3000-5000 rpm)
- 0-60 mph in 6.8 seconds (USA estimated)
- quattro AWD – latest generation with asymmetric rear-biased torque split (40/60)
- Tiptronic fast-shifting six-speed automatic transmission (S tronic will not be offered).
Innovations and available features
- MMI operating logic standard (with central display screen)
- Audi side assist
- Dynamic ESP configuration (on road, off road, and roof cargo settings)
- Power tailgate
- Audi Intelligent Key – stores service information in the key
- Audi advanced key keyless entry and starting
- Bluetooth hands-free telephone interface
- Mercury-free Audi xenon plus headlamps with LED daytime running lights
- LED tail lamps
- Audi parking system advanced with rearview camera
- Electromechanical parking brake
- HDD-based Navigation system with real-time traffic information
- Generation 3 MMI system
- Thermal heated/cooled cupholder
- Bang & Olufsen 505W 14-speaker sound system
Launch Timing and Pricing
- USA Audi Q5 goes on sale first quarter 2009 as a 2009 model year vehicle, with pricing expected to be in line with its competitors.
- Related Press Release: The New Audi Q5
- Discussion Forum: Audi Q5
- Photo Gallery: Audi Q5