Excessive oil consumption with 2.0T engine - Page 4 - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Technical Discussion > Motors > 2.0T FSI Discussion

Excessive oil consumption with 2.0T engine

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #61
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Replaced the turbocharger to stop excessive oil consumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by nToxEk8d View Post
I have 5000 miles (8000km) on mine since they replaced the rings. The meter is down two bars (2/5th's I guess). I am very happy with the repair so far.
My 08 A4, at 45,000 miles, suddenly started using about a quart of oil every 1000 miles. No oil on driveway or garage floor. No clouds of blue smoke from the tailpipes. Dealer was going to do the usual oil consumption test, but called me back within about an hour. The technician found the intercooler full of oil. Turbocharger seal was leaking and turbo needed to be replaced. Fortunately, I still had about 6 months remaining on my CPO warranty. It took the dealer a couple of days to do the job, but my only cost was the $85 deductible. The speed with which the tech diagnosed the problem makes me think this is not the first time he has seen it. I have only driven about 500 miles since the turbocharger was replaced, so I cannot say definitively that the problem is solved, but it looks good so far.
John I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #62
Audiworld Junior Member

Little over 1000 miles since pistons and rings, oil gage hasen't moved, car is getting maybe 1 mile more per gallon i'd say. motor just seems to run better.
q5dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #63
AudiWorld Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nToxEk8d View Post
So I finally managed to get my out of warranty 2009 A4 2.0T repaired. My Dealer (Queensway Audi) went to bat on my behalf and convinced Audi Canada to foot a major part of the bill in which the dealer participated as well. My participation was $500. After the repair, all seems well. I have driven approx. 5000 kilometers (3000 miles) and it is down 1/4 of the quart which is a huge improvement. My car is at 105,000 kilometers and it is consuming at a lower rate than when it was brand new. I was close to getting rid of the car but I may now hang on to it.
My 2009 Audi A4 at 78,000 miles just had an oil consumption test part 1 and one ring was replaced. Audi comped my oil consumption test. Second oil consumption test done. Found to use up .69 liter of oil for every 1000 miles. Advised pistons to be replaced and they did a boroscopy and found scoring in cylinder 4. Waiting for corporate Audi to respond. They may replace pistons or replace the motor.
Bluesteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #64
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2009 Audi A4 Oil consumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesteel View Post
My 2009 Audi A4 at 78,000 miles just had an oil consumption test part 1 and one ring was replaced. Audi comped my oil consumption test. Second oil consumption test done. Found to use up .69 liter of oil for every 1000 miles. Advised pistons to be replaced and they did a boroscopy and found scoring in cylinder 4. Waiting for corporate Audi to respond. They may replace pistons or replace the motor.

I have a 09 A4 with similar symptoms. I bout it CPO last year at 34k miles and used a Qt per oil change. This has progressed to the point to a Qt per 700 miles which is what I drive a week.
SO I did call the dealer and they are running the consumption test.
Is there a Vin # range I should check against?
Thanks
Ralph Fasano
rfasano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #65
AudiWorld Newcomer

Smile New rings and pistons after failed part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfasano View Post
I have a 09 A4 with similar symptoms. I bout it CPO last year at 34k miles and used a Qt per oil change. This has progressed to the point to a Qt per 700 miles which is what I drive a week.
SO I did call the dealer and they are running the consumption test.
Is there a Vin # range I should check against?
Thanks
Ralph Fasano
A shout out to my dealer (Maplewood Audi) and to Audi of America for replacing the rings and pistons on my 2009 A4 that was 20,000miles over warranty. After oil consumption reached a quart every 500 miles they did part 1 of the test and oil light came on after 530 miles (1.86 qts/1000 miles). AoA agreed to complete Part 2 and replaced rings and pistons. I was told Audi made the oil rings looser to encourage better breathing and reduced pollution but that didn't work as their engines only burned more oil instead. Replaced my rings/pistons with those made for a TT (which did not have looser oil rings) and so far so good. I am impressed with AoA for making things right with me!
johnvaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:42 AM   #66
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Oil Consumption

At 88K miles... Audi Germany did test 1 and 2 and has decided to replace the pistons and rings..
Lets see what happens next... :-)

rfasano
Old 08-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #67
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Now What?

I purchased my 2009 Audi A4 2.0 six months ago from a private party. and he had been burning 3 quarts of oil every 1,500 miles. At the time car was under warranty and they performed the first level of work crankshaft vibration damper and oil seal and so on and said that fixed the problem. Now I have the car and same problem. Will Audi still fix or will this cost me out of pocket if they need to replace the pistons and rings? My argument is the warranty work was not completed sufficiently to begin with...any thoughts on how I should handle this?
jbrooks1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #68
AudiWorld Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrooks1477 View Post
I purchased my 2009 Audi A4 2.0 six months ago from a private party. and he had been burning 3 quarts of oil every 1,500 miles. At the time car was under warranty and they performed the first level of work crankshaft vibration damper and oil seal and so on and said that fixed the problem. Now I have the car and same problem. Will Audi still fix or will this cost me out of pocket if they need to replace the pistons and rings? My argument is the warranty work was not completed sufficiently to begin with...any thoughts on how I should handle this?
Well yea, go back, have them perform another oil consumption test, and they will should fix it.
1999 VW Beetle 2.0
Prospeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:15 AM   #69
AudiWorld Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospeeder View Post
Well yea, go back, have them perform another oil consumption test, and they will should fix it.
I understand that original repair you described to be a recall repair done to all similar A4's. So, yes, push them about unacceptable oil consumption, describe what you've learned from this forum and get them to perform the Phase 1 oil consumption test/repair.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:18 AM   #70
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have the test schedule for this Wednesday which they are conducting for free (sort of admitting guilt all ready) then will have to battle on my hands regarding repairs and who pays. The car spits out pretty black smoke whey above 3k rpm's at this time.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:22 AM   #71
AudiWorld Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnvaustin View Post
I understand that original repair you described to be a recall repair done to all similar A4's. So, yes, push them about unacceptable oil consumption, describe what you've learned from this forum and get them to perform the Phase 1 oil consumption test/repair.
On further checking with my records the recall repair was to replace the camshaft adjuster, not what you described. My Phase 1 oil consumption involved replacing some parts and "reprogramming the computer." I was told this solved 80% of the problems.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:26 AM   #72
AudiWorld Newcomer

This is the list of warranty repairs done one year ago...

OIL CONSUMPTION TEST PART #1

PRESSURE REGULATING VALVE REMOVE+REINSTALL
CRANKSHAFT VIBRATION DAMPER REMOVE+REINSTALL
CRANKSHAFT OIL SEAL, PULLEY END REMOVE+REINSTALL
GFF/GUIDED FUNCTIONS
INTAKE MANIFOLD REMOVE+REINSTALL
GFF/GUIDED FUNCTIONS
INJECTOR REMOVE+REINSTALL
Old 09-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #73
AudiWorld Newcomer

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris90803
Default Similar Issue 2008 A4 2.0T SLine Burns 1 qt of Oil every 1000miles

Hi Guys,

I am having a similar problem with my 2008 A4 2.0T as well. I purchased it with 39,912 miles and advised the Audi Dealer (Circle Audi) in Long Beach California that my car was excessively burning oil. The service advisor told me that it was pretty normal due to the turbo. Now, like previous posts, I have owned many other cars before and have NEVER seen this type of oil consumption even in my first car a 1981 Pontiac Grand Prix that actually had an oil leak. I advised the service advisor of this issue when I first bought the vehicle. I have completed the 35k, 45k, 55k, and 65k maintenance and it has not improved. At this point would Audi fix the issue as a manufacturers defect or would I be responsible to pay? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Chris90803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:39 AM   #74
AudiWorld Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90803 View Post
Hi Guys,

I am having a similar problem with my 2008 A4 2.0T as well. I purchased it with 39,912 miles and advised the Audi Dealer (Circle Audi) in Long Beach California that my car was excessively burning oil. The service advisor told me that it was pretty normal due to the turbo. Now, like previous posts, I have owned many other cars before and have NEVER seen this type of oil consumption even in my first car a 1981 Pontiac Grand Prix that actually had an oil leak. I advised the service advisor of this issue when I first bought the vehicle. I have completed the 35k, 45k, 55k, and 65k maintenance and it has not improved. At this point would Audi fix the issue as a manufacturers defect or would I be responsible to pay? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Chris

I have a 2009 A4 purchased CPO with 35K. It began to burn more and more oil (now 80Kmiles) so I had the dealer run the consumption tests.. and they found 1 Qt per 1K excessive and replaced the pistons and rings at NO Charge.
Have about 3500 miles on the new pistons and no oil use to speak of.
Have them run the test and they will repair at no charge.. This is not a new issue for Audis.
Ralph
Old 09-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #75
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Pistons changed

Audi changed the pistons in my A4 and replaced with A3 pistons. They are stating the head of the A3 pistons are not rounded and fits better in the A4 cylinders! I drove 2200 km sor far and the oil level did not change. Before the parts replacement, I could not go 1500 Km without adding oil.

The downside is the sound of the motor changed, there are clicking sounds now and the gas consumtion sighlty increased... Anyone with same issue after the pistons replacement?
Bergerom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:16 PM   #76
AudiWorld Newcomer

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris90803

I have driven behind a similar 2008 A4 2.0T as ours on the freeway and witnessed this multiple times first hand. The nice puff of black smoke as the driver accelerates.
Chris90803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #77
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Oil consumption issue resolved

After two failed oil consumption tests, Audi finally replaced my engine. It was a long frustrating process but it's over now. If you don't feel as if the dealer is sensitive to your concerns, as mine wasn't. I'd suggest writing a letter to the corporate office as I did. I outlined every single (silly) reason the dealer provided me regarding why my car was burning unusual amounts of oil. I felt vindicated when it failed the test twice, as I started to feel self-conscious about my numerous complaints.
lo5ree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:30 AM   #78
AudiWorld Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerom View Post
Audi changed the pistons in my A4 and replaced with A3 pistons. They are stating the head of the A3 pistons are not rounded and fits better in the A4 cylinders! I drove 2200 km sor far and the oil level did not change. Before the parts replacement, I could not go 1500 Km without adding oil.

The downside is the sound of the motor changed, there are clicking sounds now and the gas consumtion sighlty increased... Anyone with same issue after the pistons replacement?
Have you noticed any loss of power? I had this done a few months ago and yes the sound of the motor changed, gas mileage decreased, but most of all I had a significant loss of horsepower. After bringing the car back to the dealer several times to try to get this repaired they just came up with excuses. The customer service department wasn't any help either.

Audi had several chance to fix my car and they failed. So I had to hire a lawyer that deals with lemon/warranty law in my state. I would suggest anyone else with the oil consumption issue to do the same. It will not cost you anything.
laxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #79
AudiWorld Newcomer

Unhappy 2013 Audi Q5 2.0 Oil Consumption and MPG problems

I have a 2013 Q5 that had the check oil light first come on at 1200 miles and has now come on for the 4th time with 6400 miles. The dealership did the 1st part of the oil consumption test, and it failed, but would not do the 2nd part because the car only had 4884 miles on it and corporate said it had to have at least 5000 miles to do the 2nd part. I also am getting horrible gas mileage. I can't believe I have a new car with so many problems. Texas lemon law kicks in on the 4th time that you return a car to the dealership for the same problem and this will be the 4th time when it is taken in later this week. I am very frustrated and disappointed. This car never drove like the one that I test drove before buying this. Everyone seems to think the 2013 has no oil consumption problems but mine sure does. I downsized from a Lexus for this car and don't get much better mileage with a much smaller engine.
scall555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #80
AudiWorld Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scall555 View Post
I have a 2013 Q5 that had the check oil light first come on at 1200 miles and has now come on for the 4th time with 6400 miles. The dealership did the 1st part of the oil consumption test, and it failed, but would not do the 2nd part because the car only had 4884 miles on it and corporate said it had to have at least 5000 miles to do the 2nd part. I also am getting horrible gas mileage. I can't believe I have a new car with so many problems. Texas lemon law kicks in on the 4th time that you return a car to the dealership for the same problem and this will be the 4th time when it is taken in later this week. I am very frustrated and disappointed. This car never drove like the one that I test drove before buying this. Everyone seems to think the 2013 has no oil consumption problems but mine sure does. I downsized from a Lexus for this car and don't get much better mileage with a much smaller engine.
Well it is a Known issue, and it sounds like it will be taken care of. So dont get so upset. And this is still an SUV, and heavy. Mileage will improve after 5-10k miles of driving.

Also remember, you went from a Lexus, a Tarted up Toyota thats probably the most boring thing on the road, to a (in my opinion) Real luxury vehicle thats sporty, with an engine full of technology, new things to try, and makes alot of power for the size. The Lexus you had probably came with one of the low tech, V6 or V8 from Toyota passenger cars and trucks, of course its going to be predictable seeing as they took the "safe" approach to making a car not a new or different approach.
1999 VW Beetle 2.0
Prospeeder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
20, 2009, 20t, a4, a5, a6, audi, b8, consumption, discussions, engine, excess, excessive, oil, pistons