URGENT Please Help - Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default URGENT Please Help - Leak?

Hi there, I'm new to Audi and looking at buying a 2005 audi a4 3.0 quattro automatic. While at the dealership, I noticed a leak coming from this hose. Didn't seem like a bad leak, but I noticed fresh liquid on the engine directly below it and a drop sitting on the bottom of the hose itself.

Is this normal? What is this hose for (cant find it anywhere)?

Also, as far as the engine is concerned, it seemed very sound, but when I went from a full stop to full gas, I noticed a small amoount of white smoke come out the back. It didn't do it again during the test drive, only the first time.

Is that normal for these cars? Assuming it's been sitting for a bit.

Thank you so much!!!!
Attached Images   
Old 03-13-2016, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 287 Likes on 232 Posts

No oil leak is ever normal on any engine, however, given the age of the car (10+ years) there's likely seepage somewhere. Impact depends on how bad the leak si and where it's coming from. I beiieve that pipe is part of the power steering system. If you follow it through under that plastic engine shroud you'll see another rubber hose attached to the metal piece on the engine. That's usually where the power steering system weeps a little - certainly is what I have had on my 3.0 B6, and a quick addition of another clamp fixed that issue. Symptom for me of the weepage was a wailing sound when turning the steering wheel at slow speeds i.e. parking.

White smoke might just have been condensation / moisture that had been sitting in the exhaust pipe/muffler.

Engine casing looks very clean so they have probably gone around and wiped everything nice and clean. Get a torch and look around the valve covers and exhaust areas and down by the bottom pulley/water pump to see if anyhting else is weeping. As long as regular maintenance has been done, I've found the 3.0 engine to be quite solid in spite of the many reports you may see around the various forums.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I had the same issue

Originally Posted by A4Audi4Fun
No oil leak is ever normal on any engine, however, given the age of the car (10+ years) there's likely seepage somewhere. Impact depends on how bad the leak si and where it's coming from. I beiieve that pipe is part of the power steering system. If you follow it through under that plastic engine shroud you'll see another rubber hose attached to the metal piece on the engine. That's usually where the power steering system weeps a little - certainly is what I have had on my 3.0 B6, and a quick addition of another clamp fixed that issue. Symptom for me of the weepage was a wailing sound when turning the steering wheel at slow speeds i.e. parking.

White smoke might just have been condensation / moisture that had been sitting in the exhaust pipe/muffler.

Engine casing looks very clean so they have probably gone around and wiped everything nice and clean. Get a torch and look around the valve covers and exhaust areas and down by the bottom pulley/water pump to see if anyhting else is weeping. As long as regular maintenance has been done, I've found the 3.0 engine to be quite solid in spite of the many reports you may see around the various forums.
After going through the cost and PITA work of changing the valve cover gaskets, cam chain tensioner gasket and half moon seal on passenger side(not about to remove my timing belt and bumper); I found out through Blauparts.com that the leaks in these older 2.8 30 engines are 95% of the time due to restriction in the crankcase breather hose. As the car gets advanced in miles. Engine sludge build-up in the Breather hoses causes constriction from the crankcase to the engine and causes oil to push out of the weakest parts of the engine. This is a whole new crankcase breather hose kit for like 135 I think it was. I replaced mine and it runs perfect and no leaks.