A4 allroad (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 allroad, produced from 2012-present

Considering allroad, looking for feedback on seats

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering allroad, looking for feedback on seats

Hello,

I've been researching several wagons and cars and recently test drove a 2015 allroad and was very impressed but am concerned whether the base seats would be comfortable for longer drives.

It is a Premium Plus with Tech package and has all the other options I'm looking for except the sport package. (Appears to be a good deal advertised at 3K below MRSP...)

Unfortunately it's hard to tell on a brief test drive whether seats really work - I know this is often a fairly subjective issue but if anyone who has the base/non-sport seats can let me know how they like them I would really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance,

Gmer
Old 02-05-2015, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gmer
Hello,

I've been researching several wagons and cars and recently test drove a 2015 allroad and was very impressed but am concerned whether the base seats would be comfortable for longer drives.

It is a Premium Plus with Tech package and has all the other options I'm looking for except the sport package. (Appears to be a good deal advertised at 3K below MRSP...)

Unfortunately it's hard to tell on a brief test drive whether seats really work - I know this is often a fairly subjective issue but if anyone who has the base/non-sport seats can let me know how they like them I would really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance,

Gmer
I've driven both. I'm 6', 180 lbs, long legs. In Sept, I bought a 2014 Alload with the sports package (seats and paddle shifters). For me, the sports seats were essential.

I should add you WILL find ingress and egress not quite as easy as with the regular seats.

2014 Allroad P+, Glacier White/Titanium, Full paint, Sport package, Nav, Keyless, B&O, Rear Camera, Side Assist.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hello,

Thanks in advance,

Gmer

Hi Gmer,

Welcome, potentially? When shopping for my allroad seat comfort was on the list but not the top item for me. The longest highway run for me has been in the 2-2:30 hour range and I would classify them as "adequate". If seat comfort is at the top for you I would have to whisper the word...Volvo. When shopping around I test drove an XC70 and by far the most comfortable seats I have sat in. However driving dynamics were short of inspiring, really short. I wonder what the new V60 family has to offer? Best of luck!

P.S. 2014 allroad Progressiv (Premium Plus in US) w/base seats

Last edited by cjv-baires; 02-05-2015 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hello,

Thanks in advance,

Gmer
I have the standard seats in my '13 AR. I've made several tips to Las Vegas ----- about 10.5 hours each way. No problem at all. That said.... if you can find one with the Sport pkg ----- do it ---- better steering wheel.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sport seats are great, but as mentioned, the ingress/egress is inhibited slightly. We have the standard seats and I would have preferred the Sport seats. Standard seats are decent, but I wouldn't want to spend more than 2-3 hours in them.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Contrary to most here on this topic - I had the Sport seats in my prior A5 and they took over 5k miles to break-in and feel relatively comfortable (they are "sporty" after all). The non-Sport seats in my Allroad were comfortable from day one. I did like the seat thigh extenders on the Sport seats tho', although don't really miss them. We take the Allroad on long trips as the seats are more comfortable than my wife's Caddy ATS.

And on the steering wheel, 3-spoke Sport vs. 4-spoke non-sport. The three looked a bit cooler but otherwise no difference. I don't miss the Sport.

[if seat comfort/leather feel is your top priority - Lexus, which is what my wife had for many years prior to Caddy, and may be going back]

Last edited by Huey52; 02-06-2015 at 04:13 AM.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Huey52
Contrary to most here on this topic - I had the Sport seats in my prior A5 and they took over 5k miles to break-in and feel relatively comfortable (they are "sporty" after all). The non-Sport seats in my Allroad were comfortable from day one. I did like the seat thigh extenders on the Sport seats tho', although don't really miss them. We take the Allroad on long trips as the seats are more comfortable than my wife's Caddy ATS.

And on the steering wheel, 3-spoke Sport vs. 4-spoke non-sport. The three looked a bit cooler but otherwise no difference. I don't miss the Sport.

[if seat comfort/leather feel is your top priority - Lexus, which is what my wife had for many years prior to Caddy, and may be going back]
I like the longer thigh support on my sport seats, as well as the more pronounced bolsters (torso and seat bottom).

Re: steering wheel. I'm all about the 'feel' of the steering wheel. I love my flat-bottom sport wheel. It has a smaller overall diameter than the 4 spoke, a thicker grip, and larger shift paddles. For me, the thicker grip (and the rest) make a very significant difference. I also prefer the normal 'sport' wheel to the 4 spoke.

In the end, it is, of course, very subjective. Take every opportunity you can to experience them both.
Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2015, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks very much to all who responded. My conclusion was to do another test drive. I really like this car, it checks all the boxes with the possible exception of seats and I actually felt fine taking a longer test drive.

So I think I will cogitate far a bit. But am really impressed with this vehicle; I like it better than several other cars I've driven including: Volvo V60 & S60, Subaru Legacy, Crosstreck and WRX, and BMW X1. As one other poster noted the Volvos seats are really outstanding, but I like the layout, driving experience, raised height and and general dynamics of the allroad better. Ahh decisions...
Old 02-07-2015, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks very much to all who responded. My conclusion was to do another test drive. I really like this car, it checks all the boxes with the possible exception of seats and I actually felt fine taking a longer test drive.

So I think I will cogitate far a bit. But am really impressed with this vehicle; I like it better than several other cars I've driven including: Volvo V60 & S60, Subaru Legacy, Crosstreck and WRX, and BMW X1. As one other poster noted the Volvos seats are really outstanding, but I like the layout, driving experience, raised height and and general dynamics of the allroad better. Ahh decisions...
I test drove a number of excellent cars, researched, and drove some more. After 18 years with BMW, I left Audi for the Allroad, and I'm happy with my choice. It is an exceptionally well-evolved car.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Good points, as always Roger. That is a very handsome wheel and the slightly smaller size and flat bottom is a plus. Early on the Sport option was actually my must-have focus but my Allroad had everything else so I went for it. No regrets but again good points. The non-Sport seats are a bit easier to slide in and out of, especially in Winter attire, which seems never ending of late. The heavy duty mats, which mine also came with, have been a particular blessing as well!

Originally Posted by roger_1
I like the longer thigh support on my sport seats, as well as the more pronounced bolsters (torso and seat bottom).

Re: steering wheel. I'm all about the 'feel' of the steering wheel. I love my flat-bottom sport wheel. It has a smaller overall diameter than the 4 spoke, a thicker grip, and larger shift paddles. For me, the thicker grip (and the rest) make a very significant difference. I also prefer the normal 'sport' wheel to the 4 spoke.

In the end, it is, of course, very subjective. Take every opportunity you can to experience them both.

Quick Reply: Considering allroad, looking for feedback on seats