A4 allroad (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 allroad, produced from 2012-present

TRACK DAY: Nelson Ledges Race Complex – July 2014 - 2013 Audi Allroad B8

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Not to steal your thread Shaka, but somewhat related. I find the OEM brake pads on the Allroad excessively dusty, especially of course the front. Far more so than my prior A5 (presumably it had a ceramic blend?).
What would you recommend for street use low dust pads? Akebono? Thanks.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaka

Originally Posted by Huey52
Not to steal your thread Shaka, but somewhat related. I find the OEM brake pads on the Allroad excessively dusty, especially of course the front. Far more so than my prior A5 (presumably it had a ceramic blend?).
What would you recommend for street use low dust pads? Akebono? Thanks.
My personal experience has been primarily with Hawk and EBC. Hawk performs great on the street but dust levels are similar to oem. The red & green EBC pads tend to dust a bit less. But any good brake pad will dust some. I would suggest the EBC. The Akebono may be nice I just have no personal experience sorry.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have StopTech rotors and Akebono pads.

The brakes performed brilliantly.... very little smoke and damn near no fade ---- even on the fifth loop around the track.

My bigger issue was with traction control and not being able to completely shut it down..... and by the 5th loop.... turbo lag was becoming more noticeable.

As for everything else.... the Yokohama's performed brilliantly..... no squealing, but scuffed up the outer patches of the tires (of course).

I am also surprised at how I was able to get the rear end to rotate a bit on some of the sharper corners ----- did it with no fuss and as predictable as the sun coming up.

Temps at the track: mid to upper 70's. Humidity: +-30%. Cloud cover kept things comfortable.

Overall ---- very impressed with how this thing did on the track.... completely stock (except for my upgraded brakes.).

Last edited by TREGinginCO; 08-17-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by TREGinginCO
I have StopTech rotors and Akebono pads. The brakes performed brilliantly.... very little smoke and damn near no fade ---- even on the fifth loop around the track.
That is great to hear. Honestly I've never heard of this Akebono brand before a few weeks ago. Glad to hear they did good for you. As I had posted, my Hawk HPS results were not so good. I'm also guessing your rotors helped. I can't wait to test out my larger S4/S5 sized rotors and new EBC YellowStuff pads... only 3 weeks till my next track day!

My bigger issue was with traction control and not being able to completely shut it down..... and by the 5th loop.... turbo lag was becoming more noticeable. As for everything else.... the Yokohama's performed brilliantly..... no squealing, but scuffed up the outer patches of the tires (of course).
What do you mean by the traction control issue? My car is a 2013, and I turned off the traction with the dash button-- at no point did I feel interference from the car. Are you having throttle cut-out or something? As you can see in my videos in this thread the only "traction" aid that I experienced was ABS when locking up my brakes. But when ON the throttle hard exiting a turn I felt no pause or delay from the ESP/traction. What traction "issue" did you have? Real curious....

Yes, the turbo lag/power drop was noted. Hence why I have a FMIC being installed this week Tuesday. I feel that will hopefully help retain more power. And of course cooler temps outside are nicer--- which is why I always look forward to spring/fall track events and yes my outside tread of my tires also have some wear/tear.... as to be expected, like you said.

I am also surprised at how I was able to get the rear end to rotate a bit on some of the sharper corners ----- did it with no fuss and as predictable as the sun coming up.
Trail-braking was helpful, I found. But like you said the car does okay-- I think the added weight over the rear end gives the car a nice balance. Closer to 50/50 being the wagon versus sedan. To help mine rotate I also have the Stasis 28mm rear sway bar--- and generally speaking I was happy with the handling-- but I also have the coils. How did you find body roll in stock form? I'd describe my ST coil-overs as compliant, so the car still tucks into corners with a fair bit of sway/roll before shifting--- good comfort, but hardly "track-day" stuff... still better than OE for sure.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.... you should look at getting the Harry's Lap Timer Pro app for your next track day, and share some videos