A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Anyone test drive the B9 Allroad and A4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I have a 2015 S3 with DSG transmission. In normal mode there is a small lag, and in sport mode less lag. I believe it has to do more with the clutch and less with the turbo. In normal mode the engine idles with foot on brake at a lower RPM. Put it in sport mode it is a higher RPM. I suspect the wet clutch is also partially engaged as well in sport mode. This all makes for quicker off the line starts in sport mode.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I haven't driven the Allroad (was not available 8-9 months ago) but if it were, I would have gotten it over the A4, probably because I'm so used to CUV's/SUV's over the last so many years. I would appreciate the slightly higher ride (1.5") and the larger tires, better snow clearance as well as the larger trunk area a wagon provides over the sedan. And, oh yeah, I really like the looks of that Allroad over the A4.

Last edited by bob m; 01-17-2017 at 03:41 AM.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by steveracer
dseag2, how often do you change cars?

One thing strange that I noticed, on one particular freeway, at 70 mph, then accelerating hard, the car would drift left and head to the left lane. This on both sides of the drain angles of the roadway - meaning if the tilt was on the right, the car would still pull to the left under acceleration. Didn't do this on all roads though....YMMV.

My allroad had what sounds like the same issue - pulling left when accelerating at freeway speeds, and I was planning to have the suspension/alignment checked when they fixed some other issues. However, it went away as soon as I had my snow tires mounted. That pulling was getting really annoying, so I'm glad to have it resolved.

One of the cars I test-drove also had an issue with being unsettled when accelerating at speed. I was about to write off the allorad, but fortunately I drove another car that didn't have any issues.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I have my doubts, but if anyone test drove the two I would like to hear your comparisons. Specifically, whether the Allroad drives as well as the A4. We love our A4, and the Allroad may be our next car if it is as fast and handles as well as the A4.
I test drove the A4 in May with the sport suspension and 19" wheels (sounds about like your A4). It was a nice car, but I really wanted a wagon to replace my '06 Avant. I took the Allroad for a test drive in October when it came out, and I've been driving mine for about 3 weeks now. I didn't drive them back-to-back, but I think I can give you some comparison.

The Allroad is better handling than I expected, but even in dynamic mode it's not as crisp as the A4 with the sport suspension - that's to be expected given the higher-profile tires and the increased ride height. That said, I find the Allroad to be a well behaved car that you can still toss into a turn and have a bit of fun with. Before I got the car, I expected to keep the suspension in dynamic mode most of the time, but I find that I'm mostly just leaving it in auto mode. I tried comfort one time, but that was so loose it just sort of freaked me out.

From an acceleration standpoint, the Allroad weighs about 350# more than the A4. However, the Allroad has a higher final drive ratio, so it felt like it had about the same acceleration as the A4.

Now that I have my tire issue sorted out, I have no complaints about the Allroad handling. Give it a test drive, and let us know what you think.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by CoMeader
I test drove the A4 in May with the sport suspension and 19" wheels (sounds about like your A4). It was a nice car, but I really wanted a wagon to replace my '06 Avant. I took the Allroad for a test drive in October when it came out, and I've been driving mine for about 3 weeks now. I didn't drive them back-to-back, but I think I can give you some comparison.

The Allroad is better handling than I expected, but even in dynamic mode it's not as crisp as the A4 with the sport suspension - that's to be expected given the higher-profile tires and the increased ride height. That said, I find the Allroad to be a well behaved car that you can still toss into a turn and have a bit of fun with. Before I got the car, I expected to keep the suspension in dynamic mode most of the time, but I find that I'm mostly just leaving it in auto mode. I tried comfort one time, but that was so loose it just sort of freaked me out.

From an acceleration standpoint, the Allroad weighs about 350# more than the A4. However, the Allroad has a higher final drive ratio, so it felt like it had about the same acceleration as the A4.

Now that I have my tire issue sorted out, I have no complaints about the Allroad handling. Give it a test drive, and let us know what you think.
Thanks for the comparison! I will drive the Allroad. Just waiting for the A5 Sportback to arrive at dealers as well so I can compare them.